The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 02-21-2003, 04:12 PM

Dave is an Ani fan?
Old 02-21-2003, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Bard
Dave is an Ani fan?
Yeah im pretty sure he is...

John Mayer one of the best ever? Puhlease

Iceman put it best- there's another one born every day.

Mayer is very good, but very good guitarists are a dime a dozen...

Compare him to Segovia, Kottke, Keaggy, Juber, and then tell me if he is still "one of the best ever"

One of the best twenty-something acoustic singer-songwriters out there? Yeah, Ill give you that one.

And I love his stuff...

(Insert one line representation of cleverness here)
Old 02-21-2003, 05:12 PM

You have to check out Dispatch. They're a trio from Vermont, and they are absolutely excellent. Specifically, check out the songs Two Coins, The General.
Later,
Nick
Old 02-21-2003, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by randallnm
You have to check out Dispatch. They're a trio from Vermont, and they are absolutely excellent. Specifically, check out the songs Two Coins, The General.
Later,
Nick
They graduated from Middlebury...(my school)

They played here like 5 times my freshman year...

Their music is initially very attractive, but eventually gets old IMHO...ALL the freshmen here listen to them, some sophomores, and hardly any juniors and seniors listen anymore.

Plus, I'm kinda disappointed that they turned into greedy jerks over the last few years...

The General is a good tune though. So is Cover This, Flying Horses (even though its a ripoff of Freebird) and Elias.

(Insert one line representation of cleverness here)
Old 02-24-2003, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rsimper
Their music is initially very attractive, but eventually gets old IMHO...ALL the freshmen here listen to them, some sophomores, and hardly any juniors and seniors listen anymore
agreed about dispatch. they're like the east coast's version of OAR....

or is OAR the midwest's version of dispatch?

or is howie day the solo acoustic result of these two bands mating?

on the next ricki lake....

Bose PAS - Single Bass Unit
http://www.myspace.com/donbecker
Old 02-27-2003, 02:19 PM

Default howie

please dont compare howie to those two, i know theyre similar, but if i think about it like that i lose respect for him, and hes just too good for that

patrick
1998 Seagull S6+ Tobacco Burst
Give one of my songs a listen

"I have been all things unholy. If God can work through me, he can work through anyone."

St. Francis of Assisi
Old 02-27-2003, 03:19 PM

I saw my first Howie Day show a few months ago. His cd doesn't do him justice. He's great live. I'm not into OAR or Dispatch at all either. For what it's worth.

-Chris
Old 03-04-2003, 01:24 AM

Simper is right. people need to check out dispatch. They are really good. Hell I always think people should check out me ANyways arguments over guitar playing ability is subject to many different things on a few levels. John mayer def. is good. Though if people picked up a stevie ray vaughn tab book, they would see where John Mayer got some major influence. Hell some people can write a somewhat simple, rather easy song to play, but it could be an amazing song. So songwriting I think sometimes just has some mystery in a way about it. Doesn't have to be complicated to play to kick *** Ayway John Mayer is a great artist, as well as Dave Matthews and I think a ton of people underestimate how awesome Ben Harper is!
Old 03-04-2003, 06:29 AM

Ben Harper is great. His style is alot different than Mayer or Matthews but he's a unique artist. The live double cd he put out a while back is a must have. I bought the Pleasure and Pain dvd several weeks ago too.

-Chris
Old 03-04-2003, 10:45 AM

Default Re: howie

Quote:
Originally posted by Acousti-Playa
please dont compare howie to those two, i know theyre similar, but if i think about it like that i lose respect for him, and hes just too good for that
howie doesn't do anything that someone with one year of guitar playing experience and a loop pedal can't do....the most talent he's ever shown is covering #41 a few years back

for as big as his ego is, you'd think he was eric clapton's guitar teacher or something.
Bose PAS - Single Bass Unit
http://www.myspace.com/donbecker
Old 03-04-2003, 01:18 PM

rsimper, How can you compare him to any of those guys. That's like comparing Jay-Z to Alan Jackson. Who would you compare him to. How would you compare SRV to Segovia, Kottke, Keaggy, or Juber. Have you ever seen Mayer live? Besides, being as you said "One of the best twenty-something acoustic singer-songwriters out there" is pretty freakin' good. Very good guitarists may be a dime a dozen, but to be able to play the guitar that well, be a great songwriter, and singer is a different story.

'00 310e
'03 514es (next)
Old 03-04-2003, 01:45 PM

I havn't heard much of Howie, but from what I did hear (just his dave covers) he sounds pretty decent... I don't know about the whole ego thing, and I havn't head anything with a loop pedal yet.

I would like to experiment with the pedal myself. I know Tim Reynolds uses one and he tracks some really cool stuff. Anyone else know of people who use the loop pedal?

Devon
Old 03-04-2003, 02:08 PM

Howie is alright... you just gotta be in the mood.

John Mayer really is an awesome guitarist, I don't think he "cops" much if any of DMB style... except they're both in the same genre... most young singer/songwriters today would list Dave Matthews as a big influence though. Jason Mraz grew up listening to DMB and now he has opened for them... crazy.
Old 03-04-2003, 04:51 PM

I've had the Howie Day cd for quite awhile. I finally had a chance to see him live a few months ago. He's great live! No, you won't see any fantastic guitar playing but he is an artist to experience live. I don't think his cd really does him justice.

-Chris
Old 03-08-2003, 11:00 AM

I don't really care for John Mayer. I do like DMB though, guess i could never get into mayer. I think he is more a teenie bopper type of artist. Anyway, I would suggest that you check out Bela Fleck, its different than those two, but its still similar in some ways. Their bassist is amazing, and the banjo adds a little flavor IMO. O ya...If you like non-acoustic music too, you should pick up The Allman Brothers Band Live at Fillmore East. I consider this to be the greatest album ever. It is definately worth the 30 or so bucks.
John

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell