The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-01-2009, 12:42 PM

I'm thinking that I oughta start giving names to the trees and boards that went into my wood stash. "The Tree" and "The Beam" are already taken--too bad. How about "The Stump?" Not the right kind of ring to it? Any ideas?
Old 02-01-2009, 01:05 PM

Had a look there is no review of the Ryan guitar? Did it miss it's expectations? Not seen it in the classifieds. Congrats on new build hope this one hits the mark. Me? jealous? naaa
Old 02-01-2009, 01:07 PM
Tone Chaser

Commando,

You're new Olson is the stuff of guitar dreams! Congrats!
De la Rosa - Brazilian RW/Swiss Moon Spruce (Coming April 2012)

Maingard
Grand Concert - Brazilian RW/German Spruce (2005)

Tippin
OMT - EIR/European Spruce (2000) (Voicing updated 2006)
Old 02-01-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
I'm thinking that I oughta start giving names to the trees and boards that went into my wood stash.
Marketing 101.

But you really need a STORY to go with that name, too.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dek431 View Post
Had a look there is no review of the Ryan guitar? Did it miss it's expectations? Not seen it in the classifieds. Congrats on new build hope this one hits the mark. Me? jealous? naaa

This has been planned for some time now and just starting to get underway so timing has it that it's starting after the completion The Blackbird (Ryan) and so it's not a replacement.

The Ryan is AWESOME and sounding better as it's settling in so I'm going to give it a little more time to finally settle in prior to writing a review.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
I'm thinking that I oughta start giving names to the trees and boards that went into my wood stash. "The Tree" and "The Beam" are already taken--too bad. How about "The Stump?" Not the right kind of ring to it? Any ideas?

In this case Jim didn't come up with the name "Tree of Music" and rather it's from this region in Italy - having seen it in person, it's quite impressive.

http://www.ciresafiemme.it/lavorazione-e.htm
Old 02-01-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
Okay, you must be one of the Wall Street guys that got the 18 Billion in bonuses right?
No no, I GROW companies
Old 02-01-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Hey, I found a name you could use.

It should be obvious from the name of this reverb unit posted in our Classifieds!

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=145634

The Holy Grail!

Old 02-01-2009, 02:44 PM
*mahoganut*

Impossibly beautiful selections as always, 690! Will follow this as enthusiastically as your other build threads. Seriously enjoy following your thoughts as you decide on various features such as your photos and discussions on the binding and end wedge.

Thanks for taking the time to take us along the journey!

rr/Phil

Paragon RW/Macassar Ebony Baritone
Rainsong S OM1100-N2
Woolson LS RW/30s African mahogany LG 12
Baranik LS RW/"tree" mahogany OO
Baranik Blue Spruce/"tree" mahogany OM
Boswell RW/koa OO
Baranik Retreux Parlour Adi/Pumaquiro
Baranik Blue Spruce/Coco Meridian "Geo"
Baranik Blue Spruce/Kingwood OO
Woolson T13 RW/Walnut SIG
Old 02-01-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riorider View Post
Impossibly beautiful selections as always, 690! Will follow this as enthusiastically as your other build threads. Seriously enjoy following your thoughts as you decide on various features such as your photos and discussions on the binding and end wedge.

Thanks for taking the time to take us along the journey!

rr/Phil
You're welcome and honestly a huge thanks goes to the builders who are so gracious to take pictures and share them with me along the way.

I get a kick out of other's build thread so I'm glad to share too

It's no wonder that 8 of the top 13 most viewed threads on this forum are all build related (in addition to the FedEx hater thread )
Old 02-01-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
Is that your guitar made from "The Beam"?

What's the story on that piece of wood? (Must have a story since it has a name )

I prefer the look of that one to the one you're having built now. But I'd take either one you'd like to give me.
Hi SWF -

The story around "The Beam" is pretty straightforward where a beam was salvaged from a home in Brazil and several pieces were able to be made from it (I think Jim still has a few pieces left but I could be wrong).

The story behind the piece of Braz from this most recent build is that it was brought over to the United States over 50 years ago in the form of a crate. The person was in the military and built a few crates from.....Brazilian Rosewood. Jim found out about it and got hold of one over a decade ago and salvaged several pieces from it.

I could be wrong, but I believe this one was also from the crate and it went for over 3x the base price of an Olson:

To keep the "flow" all the same, every piece of braz on the guitar will be from this same piece of brazilian...

Last edited by 690MBCOMMANDO; 02-01-2009 at 06:48 PM.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safricanplayer View Post
How long from the time you put in your order till you take delivery? Waitin on this build would keep me up at nights

~ Ray ~
I believe that Jim's current wait time is around 9 months, but you can send him an email and he is usually really good and responsive.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:39 PM

Hi Gang -

I got several PMs inquiring about "The Tree of Music" and here is the link to the website which goes into more detail:

http://www.ciresafiemme.it/lavorazione-e.htm

I saw this for the first time when I visited Jim last year. We were chatting in his shop and I played a few spruce SJs and was amazed at how incredible they sounded. We started to dream up that next "Uber Olson" (as if they aren't all already "Uber" and we began to look at Brazilian and then when it came to the top he pulled a small stack of Italian. Man this stuff looked incredible. Beautiful, creamy, straight, tight grain. We tapped out a few and this stuff was ridiculous. To the point that it was a no brainer and I chose one right there from the stack.

I have had really good luck with Italian Spruce and love it for the overtones, responsiveness, punchiness as well as the how nice it sounds fingerstyled/driven. A dream wood in my opinion. Ironically is sounds slight different depending on the builder and body size, but I love it in my Doerr as well as a Goodall I once had and a Petros I played. Hope this helps!
Old 02-03-2009, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

But it sounds like the "tree of music" refers to the specific variety of Spruce in that region and not an individual tree?

Last edited by justonwo; 02-03-2009 at 04:55 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
But it sounds like the "three of music" refers to the specific variety of Spruce in that region and not an individual tree?

It's that particular little region where the yield is particularly good. You're right that it's not a particular Tree.

That being said, I see why they named it "Tree of Music"....that Italian Spruce was NICE.

Last edited by 690MBCOMMANDO; 02-03-2009 at 05:29 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop