The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-11-2021, 01:34 PM

There's a wealth of information on Gamuts site. Well worth the read.

Since you're playing at 415 or 432, you could go up to .64mm or .66mm on the first string. .82mm,.84mm, or .86mm on the second, and 1.02mm, 1.04mm on the third string. You may find that the strings you have might sound a little thin, but that depends on what instrument you have, how you like your strings to feel, and what sound suits you.

Gamuts calculator is indispensable in calculating tensions so you know exactly where you're at no guessing.

Initially I bought all three sets of their classical strings....light, medium, and heavy for a basic understanding of how they would feel and sound, before going to their custom strings meant primarily for other instruments....but they work superbly on my classical.

Here's a link to their classical strings.

https://shop.gamutmusic.com/strings/guitar-strings/
Old 04-11-2021, 02:45 PM

One last thought, if you want to see what a good gut string is all about, get at least one Gamut Pistoy string and compare it to the others.

They don't make them for the first string. I use sheep gut which I really like. Without knowing what instrument and scale length you have, I'd probably recommend .82mm for the 2nd string, and 1.02mm for the 3rd.

...but put the numbers into the calculator first so you know what tension they will be with your instrument. You can increase or decrease the diameters as needed to keep your tension where you want it.

Pistoy gut is very compliant with a great fundamental/overtone balance. The strings are $36 each plus shipping, but the shipping isn't much. Well worth the money imo..

I suggest wiping your strings down with olive oil before you put them on. Just a little on a paper towel then wipe it off....it doesn't hurt to wipe them down with olive oil every now and then.
Old 04-12-2021, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzy View Post
There's a wealth of information on Gamuts site. Well worth the read.

Since you're playing at 415 or 432, you could go up to .64mm or .66mm on the first string. .82mm,.84mm, or .86mm on the second, and 1.02mm, 1.04mm on the third string. You may find that the strings you have might sound a little thin, but that depends on what instrument you have, how you like your strings to feel, and what sound suits you.

Gamuts calculator is indispensable in calculating tensions so you know exactly where you're at no guessing.

Initially I bought all three sets of their classical strings....light, medium, and heavy for a basic understanding of how they would feel and sound, before going to their custom strings meant primarily for other instruments....but they work superbly on my classical.

Here's a link to their classical strings.

https://shop.gamutmusic.com/strings/guitar-strings/
Thanks - really interesting stuff.

I have now got the gut strings on the guitar, with some Seta silk basses from Aquila. I have spent a few hours playing them at both 415 and 432 and initial impression is that they are very different. They are brighter than I expected, with real clarity of tone all the way up the neck - the intonation is close to perfect, which I didnt expect.

They are very resonant and clear and I am impressed with the clarity and balance so far - not "too" bright but maybe just a little thin sounding and not particularly sweet or warm (which I was hoping for)

They are much noisier under nail than nylon and I am discovering any slight imperfection in my nail is very obvious in the sound, so they are a good deal less forgiving than nylon (some I can't even see but certainly can hear...) There is also some wear apparent on the B string from contact with my nail - this is adding to the noise.

Tension is noticeable but not so much as to be an issue - the calculator is showing;

e1 : 0.62mm = 7kg (15.4lb)
b2 : 0.8mm = 6.7kg (14.7lb)
g3 : 1mm = 6.5kg (14.3lb)

Seems a little high for the B&G - they are normally lower in relation to the high E?

I will record a few sound clips later and post something so you can let me know what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig

Last edited by Wrighty; 04-12-2021 at 06:00 AM.
Old 04-12-2021, 05:50 AM

So here is a short recording of the gut strings for anybody that is interested (a little EQ and reverb but not much)

I'd love to hear any thoughts or observations - these are certainly very different from nylon..

Old 04-12-2021, 08:07 AM

That's quite lovely....very nice !

Yes, as you've discovered, gut is nothing like nylon or Alabastro. There is a clarity, warmth, and balance that can't be duplicated with any synthetic material. In addition, as you've also discovered, gut has very unique resonances. The entire musical experience is very organic and addictive imo.. As to be expected, gut goes out of tune quite easily with temperature and humidity changes. I just start playing for several minutes to warm the strings before tuning.

That's about all the tension I would use. The strings will break in and should sound sweeter and warmer as time goes on. I would wipe them down with a little olive oil once a week just wipe it off before playing.Yes, you will have to pay more attention to your nails...I don't play with nails..it's a whole different experience. You are well on your musical journey with gut, but don't stop here.

Try gut from Gamut they will sound and feel somewhat different...and 'especially ' send Matt at Strings by mail an email asking him to order ( might have them in stock ) just the bases with gut cores from Pyramid. They're about $60 for the set, but could last a year. I'm not sure exactly how they would sound on your guitar, but they are incredibly musical and sublime on my instrument.

One last thing. My 1st string is the very best I've ever used. It's sheep gut which is traditionally used on violins from what I understand. Sheep gut is more delicate than treble ( beef ) gut and might not hold up to higher tension that long ( remember my tuning is much lower ) but if you want what I think is the sweetest, clearest, most musical 1st string you could have....sheep gut would be my first choice. It might not work or even sound good on your instrument, but it's worth finding out imo.
Old 04-12-2021, 10:24 AM

Quote:
That's quite lovely....very nice !

Yes, as you've discovered, gut is nothing like nylon or Alabastro. There is a clarity, warmth, and balance that can't be duplicated with any synthetic material. In addition, as you've also discovered, gut has very unique resonances. The entire musical experience is very organic and addictive imo.. As to be expected, gut goes out of tune quite easily with temperature and humidity changes. I just start playing for several minutes to warm the strings before tuning.

That's about all the tension I would use. The strings will break in and should sound sweeter and warmer as time goes on. I would wipe them down with a little olive oil once a week just wipe it off before playing.Yes, you will have to pay more attention to your nails...I don't play with nails..it's a whole different experience. You are well on your musical journey with gut, but don't stop here.

Try gut from Gamut they will sound and feel somewhat different...and 'especially ' send Matt at Strings by mail an email asking him to order ( might have them in stock ) just the bases with gut cores from Pyramid. They're about $60 for the set, but could last a year. I'm not sure exactly how they would sound on your guitar, but they are incredibly musical and sublime on my instrument.

One last thing. My 1st string is the very best I've ever used. It's sheep gut which is traditionally used on violins from what I understand. Sheep gut is more delicate than treble ( beef ) gut and might not hold up to higher tension that long ( remember my tuning is much lower ) but if you want what I think is the sweetest, clearest, most musical 1st string you could have....sheep gut would be my first choice. It might not work or even sound good on your instrument, but it's worth finding out imo.
Thank you - I appreciate all the help you are giving me.

I will certainly try to get some Gamut strings when I next order from overseas as I am sure they will be an improvement in the tone department and perhaps the feel too. A top E as you describe sounds wonderful too...

Tension wise, I would be tempted to drop it a little as these feel just a tad tight under finger to me after another 3h or so of playing. They also sound a little "brittle" right now.

A very valuable experiment and learning experience nonetheless.

Have a good day.

Old 04-12-2021, 11:15 AM

As an experiment, try dropping down a whole step or more, or even try an alternative tuning. You'll hear and feel a big difference. My A is 422hz, and my 1st string Bb is 223 hz. My 6th string Bb is 56 Hz...my instrument sounds like it's being played in a cavern...very complex tones.

I believe Gamut has a dealer in the UK. Keep us posted on your progress, and good luck !
Old 04-13-2021, 02:48 AM

Quote:
As an experiment, try dropping down a whole step or more, or even try an alternative tuning. You'll hear and feel a big difference. My A is 422hz, and my 1st string Bb is 223 hz. My 6th string Bb is 56 Hz...my instrument sounds like it's being played in a cavern...very complex tones.

I believe Gamut has a dealer in the UK. Keep us posted on your progress, and good luck !
Thanks, I'll check out that UK dealer.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical