The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-20-2019, 07:57 PM

Default disappointed by my martin custom shop

yes

my first Martin Hd28...Didn't play very good...I had several problems selling it...Many people come to play it but they left not satisfied...
Now...My Om28 Custom Shop...have several problems...

My neck is warp...At 14th fret near the neck joint the fretboard goes down...and then raise up where the fretboard is glued with the top
the guitar arrived to me in jenuary 2014...It seemed to be perfect and i was happy..but after only 10th months...i noticed the action raised up a little bit..
i had to shave the saddle and now i have only 2mm out of the bridge...I also had to tighten the truss rod a lot to compensate the wrong angle
ok...the guitar has not a tremendous action...But...In my life i played several martins and i had the same action with a higher saddle. i am totaly sure about this

probably the neck was originally underset a little bit...

and now i also have problem with the binding...it is slowly detaching..

ALL this problems after 5 years....the guitar has been kept into the case...

i've also a taylor 814 purchased in 2010...and no problems here!!!....
Old 04-20-2019, 08:48 PM

Sounds pretty crappy. Can u send it in for repairs to martin? I’d suggest expressing your displeasure to them. I’m sure with all the guitars they make there will be a few subpar ones but they should (hopefully) be willing to fix some of the issues. If not send them a picture of a your new Gibson
Old 04-20-2019, 08:57 PM

Martin are aware that they have some binding issues, the problem is distributors in other countries are responsible for said repairs not Martin, these are the commercial arrangements that are in place.

Contact the store that sold you the instrument and see if it can still be repaired in your country under the distributors warranty.

As far as action heights, guitars are made in a standardised climate, that is an ideal temp and humidity, typically this is advertised by most manufacturers as 50 percent humidity and 20 deg C, if the climate the guitar lives in now is different to that, it will need a local setup, have you ever had the guitar setup by a professional.

The fretboard dipping at the 14th fret to the sound hole is common to 90 percent of guitars made out there, i plucked this arbitary figure from what i have seen, the issue is fretboards are made and fretted of the guitar, they are them clamped and glued onto theneck and body, this creates the hump, taylor guitars, have the necks made seperately and fretted and then being a true bolt on do not suffer from this issue.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 04-21-2019, 03:31 AM

there is a hole on 12th fret and then the fretboard raise up to he last fret

here a small paint

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ToK...ew?usp=sharing
Old 04-21-2019, 03:54 AM
Charter Member

Xana, all of these issues seem to indicate to me low humidity and higher temperatures.

Here in Europe we don't get the benefit warranties from Martin (and other) American made or distributed instruments as they do in the USA.

This is one reason why I no longer bother with buying new, as there is effectively no support apart from whatever the dealer that you bought it from can provide.
It sounds as if your guitar needs a neck reset, and other repairs. (I have seen brand new Martins that needed this).

Xana, tutti questi problemi sembrano indicarmi bassa umidità e temperature più elevate.

Qui in Europa non riceviamo le garanzie di beneficio da Martin (e altri) strumenti fabbricati o distribuiti americani come negli Stati Uniti.

Questo è uno dei motivi per cui non mi preoccupo più di acquistare nuovi, in quanto non vi è alcun supporto a prescindere da ciò che può offrire il rivenditore da cui l'avete acquistato.
Sembra che la tua chitarra abbia bisogno di un reset del collo e altre riparazioni. (Ho visto nuovissimi Martins che ne avevano bisogno).

Take your guitar back to the dealer than you bought it from and ask them what he can/will do for you.

Porta la chitarra al rivenditore di quanto hai comprato e chiedi loro cosa può / farà per te.

Last edited by Kerbie; 04-21-2019 at 04:56 AM. Reason: Modificato.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:17 PM

What you have depicted is a poor neck angle. The fingerboard over the body should never be raised above the plane of the neck. Is the neck heel tight to the body?
Old 04-22-2019, 11:40 AM

To see what your neck really looks like, you need to take all the relief out of the neck.

That paint image you posted looks like the classic poor setup with way too much relief, and too low saddle. I see that so so so often it's sad.

The way you describe that 'hole' is exactly how it appears with too much relief.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon/Tinker View Post
To see what your neck really looks like, you need to take all the relief out of the neck.

That paint image you posted looks like the classic poor setup with way too much relief, and too low saddle. I see that so so so often it's sad.

The way you describe that 'hole' is exactly how it appears with too much relief.
...no....i've tighted truss rod and is not possible to turn more. relief is....0!
truss rod doesnt function after...8th/9th fret. if there is a neck angle problem you can't resolve with truss rod :-(
Old 04-22-2019, 03:13 PM

Quote:
if there is a neck angle problem you can't resolve with truss rod :-(
Truer words were never spoken. And if everyone knew that simple fact, my life as a repairman would involve much less explaining.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:08 PM

Well aware you can't fix neck angle with the truss rod, lol...but you can't assess the neck angle until the neck is straight, at least I don't. I still do a lot of setups on factory guitars that weren't done right, the most common problem being too much relief with too low of a saddle. And when there is excessive relief, sighting down the neck can give the appearance of a hump at the join which is an illusion.

Anyway, xana, if you've got no relief at all and you still have a hump, then yeah, as noted by yourself and the others, your neck is pooched which sucks for you...
Old 04-23-2019, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon/Tinker View Post
Well aware you can't fix neck angle with the truss rod, lol...but you can't assess the neck angle until the neck is straight, at least I don't. I still do a lot of setups on factory guitars that weren't done right, the most common problem being too much relief with too low of a saddle. And when there is excessive relief, sighting down the neck can give the appearance of a hump at the join which is an illusion.

Anyway, xana, if you've got no relief at all and you still have a hump, then yeah, as noted by yourself and the others, your neck is pooched which sucks for you...
i don't want to teach anything to everybody...my poor english does not help me to be as gentle as I would like
Old 04-23-2019, 06:13 AM

Your guitar needs a neck reset. That's the simple truth. It's a major repair. Since you are in Europe it is likely not covered under warranty. My condolences.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:07 AM

Trade it in on a Eastman.

Neck reset after 5 years = bad design and construction.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:53 AM

Your English is far better than my Italian

Your points are coming across, so you're doing well!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair