The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-09-2019, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

Default PRS S2 Studio HSS

Anyone try out a PRS S2 Studio (HSS)? This was suppose to be a time-limited run in 2018.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:23 PM

You see mine is the Original Studio made in 2011
With Narrow fields. I compare mine to the S2 and was not as good I felt. Plus new ones cost less for a reason.
Old 03-10-2019, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viccortes285 View Post

You see mine is the Original Studio made in 2011
With Narrow fields. I compare mine to the S2 and was not as good I felt. Plus new ones cost less for a reason.
They look like a good concept but doesn't seem like they're selling. I have a 2013 S2 Mira for home studio recording only. The coil tap makes it pretty versatile. Was thinking the new Studio w the HSS might add some more options with the Starla bridge pup and the trem.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:03 AM

What's the biggest difference(s) between the S2 and the Studio? Is it a satin finish?
Old 03-11-2019, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
What's the biggest difference(s) between the S2 and the Studio? Is it a satin finish?
My understanding is S2 is a line of mid-priced guitars made in the USA on the same assembly line in Stevensville, MD as the higher-end models; although some components are made in Korea, where the lower end SE series are made. Within the S2 line there have been various models over the years (Starla, Mira, Studio, etc.). These undergo changes from time-to-time.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:17 AM

Quote:
If you're asking the difference between the S2 Studio and the 'non S2' Studio, they are quite different in specs and separated by about 8 years in release dates.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
The original "Core Series" Studio is a high-end guitar...mahogany body with about 1" thick maple cap, often with a "10-top". They also have the 57/08 pickups which are pretty much top of the line pickups...used to be reserved only for high-end PRS guitars, but they sell the pups separately now...for about $400.00.

The S2 Studio is a bit more of a budget offering; they all seem to be painted, so I don't imagine that the wood selection is anything to write home about. Really, the main similarity is the 'Narrow-Field' pickups in the bridge & center position. I'm sure these are decent enough axes as far as that goes, but can't really be compared to the earlier "Studio" core series Paul Reed Smith.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 03-13-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrainWave View Post
If you're asking the difference between the S2 Studio and the 'non S2' Studio, they are quite different in specs and separated by about 8 years in release dates.
I should have been clearer. I was asking about the S2 and the S2 Studio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtheaxe View Post
The original "Core Series" Studio is a high-end guitar...mahogany body with about 1" thick maple cap, often with a "10-top". They also have the 57/08 pickups which are pretty much top of the line pickups...used to be reserved only for high-end PRS guitars, but they sell the pups separately now...for about $400.00.

The S2 Studio is a bit more of a budget offering; they all seem to be painted, so I don't imagine that the wood selection is anything to write home about. Really, the main similarity is the 'Narrow-Field' pickups in the bridge & center position. I'm sure these are decent enough axes as far as that goes, but can't really be compared to the earlier "Studio" core series Paul Reed Smith.
Thanks Max. I take it the S2 Studios are less expensive than the S2s?
Old 03-14-2019, 04:51 PM

Quote:
I should have been clearer. I was asking about the S2 and the S2 Studio.

Thanks Max. I take it the S2 Studios are less expensive than the S2s?
I think the S2 guitars, Studio or otherwise, are within a few percent of each other price-wise. I'd guess that the S2 Studio might be on the higher side of the range, given the electronics & extra pickup, although to be honest I've never looked into it.

I believe the core series 'Studio' guitars were around $4k new...even more with an ebony fingerboard or custom features.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars