The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-17-2019, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Smith View Post
I’ve moved a few of them through the stable, and I have yet to lose money on a guitar I got or sold @ AGF. IMO the best way to do guitar deals.
Plus 1 on that!

And I’ve made some really good and lasting friendships too.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com

Last edited by Yrksman; 01-17-2019 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

The best way to build an excellent sounding stable is through large (as financially feasible) buying/selling seasons. That way you can own a bunch of guitars, compare them over time, and keep the winners.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

I think that a lot of the higher end guitars are ordered and bought for the thrill of being involved in the process. But that fades quickly after its recd, and soon you realize that although you appreciate each, you cannot afford to keep them all. So if one doesn't live up to the expectations, rather than being able to judge and accept it for the wonderful thing it is, you might sell it and try again. I've enjoyed multiple higher end small shop guitars over the years, and am now in a place where I don't need to sell them - but, that does not lessen the desire to spend time with something different, so you keep looking. My issue is that they take alot of room to store, and while the line "it deserves to be played more" is real, its safe to say that eventually, all these will get played and appreciated a lot more. Maybe not fully in my lifetime, but that's OK by me.

The AGF classifieds is a fantastic opportunity to try out some incredible guitars by luthiers you may never get to visit in person, but if the guitar specs suit you, you can get some really incredible deals. If you try to do it as a business, I don't know if its worth the hassle, but if you just want to spend some serious time with a guitar that isn't hanging on the wall at Guitar Center, this is the place to look -
Old 01-17-2019, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
I have noticed that since joining and was curious about it. One would expect guitars that have high production numbers such as Martin and Taylor to be the most common offered guitars, which is probably true, and other brands being offered proportional to their production number. But indeed their seems to be a vast over-representation of exotic and custom boutique build that the average mortal rarely gets to see or even touch in person.
Yes, these are the instruments I long for, the distinctive, bespoke ones. But those are also the ones that I'd least likely buy online. It's easy to find out what a Martin or Taylor sounds and feels like, because there's always an example locally. But not for these low-volume creations. That makes them harder for me consider. But if I was spending $1000-1500 for an acoustic now, this is the place I'd look!
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion