The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-16-2019, 06:17 AM

Default Do I need a new saddle?

About six months ago I bought a Gibson Hummingbird. I really liked it at first when I bought it and I don't remember any problems, but also it didn't really occur to me to check for it. After some time I began to notice that it sounded like the strings were hitting the upper frets when I played it. At first it wasn't a big deal but I think it has gotten worse with time. I can only play cowboy chords at the moment. Further up the neck I just get pling pling. The string height is quite low so I guess it makes sense.

The truss rod is completely loose and it was also like that when I bought it. So I can't help but think that the store somehow also knew there was a problem. But then again I didn't really detect any problem when I bought it, so I don't know. I live in Copenhagen, Denmark where we have had a typical dry winter, rh below 30 %. Maybe that could explain some of it. I kept the guitar in its case med humidpacks though.

I guess I need a higher saddle, but could it be the top that has sunken during the winter? Or something else? Is it a typical Gibson problem?
Old 04-16-2019, 06:23 AM

Maybe you should take it to a setup tech and have it looked at?
Old 04-16-2019, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasper182 View Post
About six months ago I bought a Gibson Hummingbird. I really liked it at first when I bought it and I don't remember any problems, but also it didn't really occur to me to check for it. After some time I began to notice that it sounded like the strings were hitting the upper frets when I played it. At first it wasn't a big deal but I think it has gotten worse with time. I can only play cowboy chords at the moment. Further up the neck I just get pling pling. The string height is quite low so I guess it makes sense.

The truss rod is completely loose and it was also like that when I bought it. So I can't help but think that the store somehow also knew there was a problem. But then again I didn't really detect any problem when I bought it, so I don't know. I live in Copenhagen, Denmark where we have had a typical dry winter, rh below 30 %. Maybe that could explain some of it. I kept the guitar in its case med humidpacks though.

I guess I need a higher saddle, but could it be the top that has sunken during the winter? Or something else? Is it a typical Gibson problem?
The short answer is that a higher saddle won't hurt, but also it's not going to be 100% of the solution.

There are diagnostic tests you can do, such as checking the neck relief (http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/r.../truss-rod.php) but beyond that it's really hard to say without having measurements, e.g. string height above the 12th fret, height of the saddle above the bridge, etc. Ultimately the solution is likely to be to take it to a guitar tech and get them to do a setup. It may be that the guitar needs a neck reset.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:38 AM

Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you need a proper evaluation and set up. You have several very nice guitar shops in Copenhagen so that shouldn't be an issue. A full set up will include fret leveling, neck angle adjustment, nut and saddle evaluation/adjustment & proper humidification. You don't mention how old the guitar is so there's no way for me to know if the buzzing is due to neck angle and lack of saddle but obviously something has changed. . Good luck with it.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:41 AM

Buzzing that is worse on the higher frets is an indication that there is too much relief. That, coupled with the low action would point toward the need for a higher saddle. As you surmise, that is probably the result of a sunken top.
You should always set the relief first, before altering the saddle height.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
saddle