The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-03-2019, 03:12 PM

Default String tension vs. volume/perception

I've heard that strings with more tension will produce greater volume and strings with less....less volume- which makes sense.

I've also read that sometimes an increase in tension will actually "choke" the top of a guitar and thus decrease volume- which also makes sense.

So, what are your thoughts? Is is guitar specific (lightly built, bracing, type of tops)?

This question is also appropriate in the General Discussion forum but CF seems to really react to these kinds of things even more so than wooden ancestors. Any thoughts?
Old 11-03-2019, 03:51 PM

Yeah I have to agree with pretty much everything here. I experienced the choking with a cedar top guitar before when I put mediums on it. Was lower volume with the mediums on it vs lights and sounded like it was begging me to take them off.

When I received my X20, at that time my X30 was strung up with EB aluminum bronze (which are supposedly lower tension) and the X20 was louder than the X30, which caused a bit of a stir.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber