The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-22-2020, 10:55 PM

Default just pondering the why...

a dear friend of mine recently took up the guitar (she's played piano for years) and i sensed some frustration leading me to send her some song suggestions to help keep her motivated and to allow her to recognize her accomplishments and potential.

i told her that a song as simple as Copperhead Road could be a great start, with only two chords and much to grow into over time.

anyway, i sent her this:

Ds/Gs...you know, there are musicians who can wow you with their technical abilities and there are musicians who can touch your heart and soul. the former are to be admired, the latter are to be celebrated.

i remember sitting with a very talented musician at one of my daughter's gatherings at her farm. he played wonderfully. brilliantly. magnificently. and yet, the only one sitting to hear him play was me. i said to him, "You know, folks really want to share in your gift, but you're more intent on showing what you can do, rather than what you can say to others in a way that makes them feel they are a part of you and your gift. You are not touching their hearts." he wasn't all that happy with me, but i've always remembered that and i've decided to "talk" to others through my limited talents and allow them to be a part of my journey. that's why i try to learn songs that my friends/family like. their favorite songs. songs that evoke memories. songs that touch their souls. there's a reason music is such a powerful part of our religious observances and our humanity.

music is a common language, a thread throughout human history that can bring people together, to share and to relish and to express a common spirit and joy. that's the kind of musician i hope to be one day. to play things that bring people together, to sing a song, to share a moment. i don't give a dang about "showing off."

the point is, as much as i admire great musicians for their unworldly abilities, i'd much rather be a part of the experience than just being someone on the outside looking in.

anyway, this is not meant to denigrate or to diminish anyone or any genre or any skill level; it's just something that happened today and i felt like sharing it with you folks, from whom i've learned a lot and continue to admire and respect for your talents and your willingness to shepherd we noobies through the magical kingdom of music.

(and, thank you.)
Old 11-22-2020, 11:09 PM
Charter Member

It's and big world out there so it's best to just be true to your better self and respect others who are true to their better selves.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 11-22-2020, 11:31 PM

I agree with Rick. It's demanding to learn new material. I, personally, would have to be very motivated to learn a piece for someone else.

I will say this: I am learning Austurias for my daughters but it's also a piece I've attempted 4 other times. With them involved, it might push me over the top to get it done.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write