The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
That quilt is something else. What causes quilting to occur?
3 or more Amish women with nothing to do????
Old 12-19-2015, 02:07 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
That quilt is something else. What causes quilting to occur?
Stress? Genetics? I know it's rare and shows on flat sawn wood. It looks like curly maple when it's quarter sawn but not all curly figure turns quilted when flat sawn so go figure. I've also heard that only grandmother trees can make quilted maple.

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright
Old 12-19-2015, 02:08 PM

That quilt is unbelievable. Will turn out to be a killer guitar for sure and I can already hear the dry, clear and sweet tone coming out of this beautiful box.
Old 12-20-2015, 06:15 AM

Default "future shows"

You mentioned you are making spec guitars for "future shows". Is there a show in the works somewhere that you are targeting in particular?
Old 12-20-2015, 11:42 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbradfie View Post
You mentioned you are making spec guitars for "future shows". Is there a show in the works somewhere that you are targeting in particular?
Woodstock would be a natural choice but, I'm also thinking of Memphis and Santa Barbara. In the longer term, when EU currency is doing better against the US dollar, I would like to do shows in Spain, Italy, and of course Berlin.
There are large markets that I just haven't had exposure in.
All this is over the next couple years as there is quite an investment in time and money getting spec guitars together.

Steven Wright
Old 12-21-2015, 06:57 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Show Specs

Here is a picture of the materials for the second spec guitar I've recently started:

This will be a Brazilian Rosewood Greta grand auditorium model with a Florentine cutaway. In the picture you see I selected a light colored Western Cedar top and am using gold EVO fretwire and all gold Schertler open back tuners. There are two pieces of bark from 20,000yr/old+ wooly mammoth tusks that I'll use for the heel cap and truss rod cover. I'll also use wooly mammoth ivory for my edge type fret markers. Finally, for the rosette there is a piece of curly Red Oak burl that fell into my hands while I was bringing in fire wood. I'm going for a subtle organic look on this guitar highlighted with gold and trimmed in Black Ebony.

If someone asked me to build what I think is the best sounding guitar I can build, this is it. It will have a very active cedar lattice braced back and be a culmination of what I believe are the best elements of the best sounding guitars I've made to date.

Steven Wright
Old 12-21-2015, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
Here is a picture of the materials for the second spec guitar I've recently started:

This will be a Brazilian Rosewood Greta grand auditorium model with a Florentine cutaway. In the picture you see I selected a light colored Western Cedar top and am using gold EVO fretwire and all gold Schertler open back tuners. There are two pieces of bark from 20,000yr/old+ wooly mammoth tusks that I'll use for the heel cap and truss rod cover. I'll also use wooly mammoth ivory for my edge type fret markers. Finally, for the rosette there is a piece of curly Red Oak burl that fell into my hands while I was bringing in fire wood. I'm going for a subtle organic look on this guitar highlighted with gold and trimmed in Black Ebony.

If someone asked me to build what I think is the best sounding guitar I can build, this is it. It will have a very active cedar lattice braced back and be a culmination of what I believe are the best elements of the best sounding guitars I've made to date.
Hey Mark, looks like this should be a beauty, always fun to pick out the parts/pieces and see where the vision takes you....have fun!
Old 12-21-2015, 08:25 AM

Quote:

The materials are outstanding together to be sure. The Cedar is very pretty and the BRW goes without saying. However,That Mammoth is fantastic and the thought that part of the guitar comes from your wood pile is both humorous and cool at the same time. I am more intrigue by the "best sounding guitar I can build". I have played two of your guitars and it is hard to imagine anything sounding better than those!!!!

I have a feeling this spec will not be making it to any shows hahah!
Old 12-21-2015, 02:09 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregg View Post
Hey Mark, looks like this should be a beauty, always fun to pick out the parts/pieces and see where the vision takes you....have fun!
Thanks Greg,

Yea, it is fun to pick the parts. Picking them for 4 specs at once is a lot to do.
I'm trying to show different models and keep them each feature rich but, in different styles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
The materials are outstanding together to be sure. The Cedar is very pretty and the BRW goes without saying. However,That Mammoth is fantastic and the thought that part of the guitar comes from your wood pile is both humorous and cool at the same time. I am more intrigue by the "best sounding guitar I can build". I have played two of your guitars and it is hard to imagine anything sounding better than those!!!!

I have a feeling this spec will not be making it to any shows hahah!
Thanks for the kind words Tom,

It certainly wouldn't bother me if the guitar didn't make it to a show!

Mark

Steven Wright
Old 12-21-2015, 04:43 PM

Quote:

This is already looking gorgeous, and it's just a pile of bits!! Can't wait to see the finished product!
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 12-21-2015, 08:06 PM

Quote:
It will have a very active cedar lattice braced back and be a culmination of what I believe are the best elements of the best sounding guitars I've made to date.
I am going to be real interested in the softwood back. I am guessing that it will be much lighter than normal backs resulting in a more resonant back. Should make for a very 3D sounding guitar.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
I am going to be real interested in the softwood back. I am guessing that it will be much lighter than normal backs resulting in a more resonant back. Should make for a very 3D sounding guitar.
I'm sorry Fred, I could have worded that better. This is a thin BRW back with cedar braces in a lattice configuration. A cedar backed guitar would be a whole different animal.

Steven Wright
Old 12-21-2015, 09:51 PM

You always have the most beautiful wood! I can't wait to see the cedar/brz come alive.
Old 12-22-2015, 03:42 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Cherry Picking

I visited with a collectable knife maker friend of mine today who is retiring and had the opportunity to cherry pick through a very old collection of wooly mammoth ivory and tusk bark. I also picked up some exhibition grade white mother of pearl as well as some of the best gold mother of pearl I've seen:

Here is a picture of some of the wooly mammoth pieces I got. You can see where they get the term "tusk bark" on that top middle piece:

Here is some of the mother of pearl. The gold pearl coloring runs quite deep which is rare:

That gold will definitely find it's way into the BRW spec I'm currently working on.

I was like a kid in a candy store!

Mark

Steven Wright
Old 12-22-2015, 05:49 PM

Quote:
I visited with a collectable knife maker friend of mine today who is retiring and had the opportunity to cherry pick through a very old collection of wooly mammoth ivory and tusk bark. I also picked up some exhibition grade white mother of pearl as well as some of the best gold mother of pearl I've seen:

Here is a picture of some of the wooly mammoth pieces I got. You can see where they get the term "tusk bark" on that top middle piece:

Here is some of the mother of pearl. The gold pearl coloring runs quite deep which is rare:

That gold will definitely find it's way into the BRW spec I'm currently working on.

I was like a kid in a candy store!

Mark
Wow, that wooly Mammoth ivory is fantastic!!!! I know you are putting it into your spec Greta, I wonder how that might look on one of your smaller models? They just dug up a 6 or 8 foot wooly Mammoth tusk on a Discovery show while gold mining, but it did not look like this material!!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop