The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
Already, you guys know Tom to be good natured, easy going and possessed of a fine wit. I have been enjoying our email correspondence immensely. The planning/dreaming stage is one of the most enjoyable parts of lutherie for me. For one thing, you haven't made any mistakes yet. For another, you start the process of getting to know the client. Tom has been a lot of fun to work with!
Here's to a guitar we'll both be proud of, Tom!

Steve
Ditto Steve, Thanks....Have guitar on the mind. Just came in from cutting down a birch tree and chunking it all the while wondering if I should be trying to quarter saw it....I think I may have a problem!!!!

Last edited by TomB'sox; 05-02-2015 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-02-2015, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootis View Post
Congratulations Tom,

I was fortunate to be able to trade for my Kinnaird, and it is simply one of the best guitars I've had the pleasure of playing. Enjoy the process, and if it is anything like mine, I'm sure you'll be thrilled. Beautiful choices on the wood too. Also, different strokes for different folks, but I wouldn't think twice about adding a sound hole.

Dan
Thank you so much. I am really pleased you like your Kinnaird so much. Not that I needed reassurance, but hey, thanks for the reassurance . Yes, I think the wood is great. I think under finish that back is going to explode in colors and grain.

Yes, the sound hole, I think they are cool, just worried about it looking like just a hole in the side of the guitar. I have been talking to Steve about binding it which I think will finish it off more...still up in the air. I have finances to worry about a little as well. That Brazilian did come at a slight upcharge, but I could not say no to it.

Last edited by TomB'sox; 05-02-2015 at 02:49 PM.
Old 05-02-2015, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Guitar View Post
You are going to love this guitar! Steve and Ryan make wonderful guitars, I've owned and sold many, and get requests on a regular basis! Congratulations! I know your excitement!
Thank you sir. I have gone to your site and listened to many of your wonderful guitars.

Also Congrats on the Memphis festival. Due to several current life events, I am unable to attend, but I surely wish I could. I have a feeling it will be a great success. Just seeing how many outstanding luthiers have been doing nothing but build guitars for the festival and all of them are outstanding including with Steve and Ryan. I hope it is a great success and many guitars find new homes and luthiers leave with a little change in their pockets!

Last edited by TomB'sox; 05-04-2015 at 08:00 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 05-02-2015, 07:03 PM

I was able to get a better reproduction of the joined back, large enough to see better. Steve, Ryan, and I all felt it looked super nice this way and did not need a back strip....

Old 05-02-2015, 08:44 PM

Love that.
Old 05-02-2015, 10:17 PM

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
[IMG][/IMG]

This is the top we picked out. We had four to chose from and felt this looked to be the best, although they were all great. Steve says it "rings like a bell".

Spectacular! I love the silking...very nice, indeed.

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually
Old 05-03-2015, 07:25 AM

Thank you Insomnyteq and Oddmanout.

I love the top also. The back is one thing and is beautiful and will add that BRW sound, but we all know at least in terms of wood, the top adds the most to the sound and gives the luthier what he/she needs to work with. I think this top looks outstanding and can't imagine it not allowing Steve to bring the best out of it.

Happy Sunday everyone.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

Tom, I just played a Kinnaird a few weeks back. Yours looks great and you are in for a treat!

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 05-03-2015, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcsong View Post
Tom, I just played a Kinnaird a few weeks back. Yours looks great and you are in for a treat!
Thank you sir. I appreciate that and from your list of guitars, you my friend look like someone who should know a world class guitar. I will gladly accept your opinion in this situation. ha ha
Old 05-03-2015, 08:53 AM

Congrats on your build, Tom. The back looks spectacular and well book-matched. Looking forward to seeing the rosette and inlays.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
Congrats on your build, Tom. The back looks spectacular and well book-matched. Looking forward to seeing the rosette and inlays.
Thanks JoeCharter....yes, I know your real name, but we have not introduced ourselves....Love your Olsons and your recordings. I grew up my entire life not 15 miles from Jim's shop....Small world really. Hi, my name is Tom and I have a guitar acquisition problem.....

Thanks for your comments on the back. It is quite a match. One of the reasons for no back strip...

Ahhh the rosette and inlays....I am looking forward to that too. They have been the bane of my existence on this design. I originally planned for a big fret board inlay and as we got further along, I found it harder and harder to decide on what I wanted and if it were not perfect, ie. loving it, than I felt I would be better off without anything fancy and to just go basic. Complete 180. It is still up in the air and I am leaving it to Steve and Ryan at this point. They will run stuff by me of course, but I am out of the design business...I think I have decided to let the woods speak for themselves although I am one that loves a good fret board inlay like you have on several of your instruments esp. the rose from Petros....

Thanks for taking the time to post here.
Old 05-03-2015, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Thanks JoeCharter....yes, I know your real name, but we have not introduced ourselves....Love your Olsons and your recordings. I grew up my entire life not 15 miles from Jim's shop....Small world really. Hi, my name is Tom and I have a guitar acquisition problem.....
Nice meeting you, Tom. I've visited Minneapolis thrice in recent years. Lovely place.

I actually remained anonymous for very long on this forum but eventually dropped the mask as I didn't feel like posting videos with my head cropped out.

Quote:
Ahhh the rosette and inlays....I am looking forward to that too. They have been the bane of my existence on this design. I originally planned for a big fret board inlay and as we got further along, I found it harder and harder to decide on what I wanted and if it were not perfect, ie. loving it, than I felt I would be better off without anything fancy and to just go basic.
The inlays on my Olsons are "standard" and my Petros was initially built on spec -- so I knew what to expect for those guitars.

For creative situations (i.e. Kraut and Leach), I took existing inlays and asked the artist to come up with some variation of it. That's the safest approach (without actually copying something) IMHO.

I've also seen a number of inlay jobs from Larry Robinson -- and in person they are spectacular.

We're all wired differently but if it were me I would choose a theme, set a budget and let them fly. None of these guys do any work that is less than incredible. If you keep an open mind, you'll be satisfied.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:59 AM

Thank you Mau,

Yes, for a large city, Minneapolis is one of the cleanest and safest cities that I have had the pleasure to be in. It has its areas to stay clear of for sure, but there are a lot of activities downtown that bring people in at night such as the baseball and basketball stadiums as well as the Vikings, although a new stadium is being build right now...The buildings are pretty cool too. Lot of music and theater as well!

I grew up in the northern suburbs in a small town and Jim is in even a smaller one although that whole are has been built up a lot over the last 10 years....

Thanks for the sound advise on the inlays, you make sense, we will see where we end up here. Off to a good start I feel at least with the wood selections.

Tom
Old 05-04-2015, 07:16 AM

I wonder what you see in that figure of yours

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 05-04-2015, 10:16 AM

Default Rediculous wood!

That is rediculous wood. I'd send it back! Going to visit Steve and Ryan later this week. If they find the wood missing, just know I got rid of it for you!
Collings SJ Braz/Ger, 000-42Koa, UC3 Killer Koa
Jeffrey Yong's Seismic 2011 Japan Earthquake Tribute and a Quilt Mah "The Tree" Olson
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop