The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-11-2014, 08:32 PM
Guest 33123

Default who wants to join a friendly "learn an new song" challenge?

Hi guys,

would anybody like to join a friendly "learn a new song" challenge? Anyone can join! Just try to "learn an new song" however long it takes. It's that simple.

The only requirement is that as you learn please post your progress, triumphs and troubles here. The whole point is to support each other throughout the process and have fun.

My goals:
- learn a new song "The Glory Of Love", hopefully starting tomorrow
- record and post it

Who's in?

P.S. for those interested here's the result of the song I started to learn during the last 14 day practice challenge: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...69#post3861469
Old 03-11-2014, 09:38 PM

Okay, I'll sign up!
I did make good progress on the last challenge; for one thing, learning how to record on my Logic program and post to the web. So, I got some collateral benefit. I'm supposed to be--in my Happy Traum book--on Make Me A Pallet, but I just can't get to where I love the song, so I'm now going to learn something more catchy: Hey Jude.

Hope it's not so overdone as to be like Stairway to Heaven on guitar!

Anyway, I ran through it today, and I'd like to learn it so that's my entry into the challenge.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:07 PM

In.

Can I use a song I've been tabbing the solo for already?? My plan was to tab out the solos, and then put it together to play it at an open mic.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:46 PM

I'll jump in! I just need to pick something now, don't know what. I'll have to think of something!
Old 03-12-2014, 03:55 AM

I'll plumb for 'Windy and Warm'! I only ever got to learning the first bar or so! I've been finishing up with 'Freight Train' and could do with another song to get my (metaphorical) teeth into!

Cool thread
Old 03-12-2014, 06:10 AM

I'm in. I'm always learning new songs so I'll to think of what will be my "official" song for this thread. Like the 14 day challenge, I assume we need to post a recording?
Old 03-12-2014, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
I'm in. I'm always learning new songs so I'll to think of what will be my "official" song for this thread. Like the 14 day challenge, I assume we need to post a recording?
Mine will be a sound recording from my iPhone - don't have a good video camera! Where can upload such things free of charge?
Old 03-12-2014, 08:07 AM
Guest 33123

Happy to have you all aboard guys! This should be fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
You don't have to do anything except learn a song and please post about your progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthorpe View Post
Mine will be a sound recording from my iPhone - don't have a good video camera! Where can upload such things free of charge?
I use http://www.soundcloud.com and I like it a lot.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:44 AM

I learn new song a little more rapidly than some, I guess. Started learning 2 songs last week, will do them both tomorrow night at an open mic: Walking in Memphis (Bruce Hornsby) and The Moment (Toad the Wet Sprocket).

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 03-12-2014, 09:28 AM

Default How nice

Quote:
I'll plumb for 'Windy and Warm'! I only ever got to learning the first bar or so! I've been finishing up with 'Freight Train' and could do with another song to get my (metaphorical) teeth into!

Cool thread
Oh, I would like to learn windy and warm too. I love Doc Watson's version, but I need tabs to play a fingerpicking arrangement. I cannot find tabs for Doc's version of Windy and Warm. Here is the youtube video for that.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj View Post
Quote:

Cool thread
Oh, I would like to learn windy and warm too. I love Doc Watson's version, but I need tabs to play a fingerpicking arrangement. I cannot find tabs for Doc's version of Windy and Warm. Here is the youtube video for that.

He (Doc) does teach this on YouTube - what I have noticed about the way that Doc played it was that he starts out on a C chord and starts the pattern on the open low E - breaks all the rules of fingerstyle but still sounds real good!
Old 03-12-2014, 07:39 PM

I'm interested. I'm just about ready to start a new song from Toby Walkers beginner course. When are you starting?
Old 03-12-2014, 08:51 PM

I've decided that my song for this challenge will be a slightly simpler version of Pure Prairie League's "Amie". Chords are straight forward but I want to get the intro and solo down. This will be the first song I learn that isn't just chords.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:39 PM
Charter Member

I have several songs in progress.

windy and Warm
Saturday night shuffle
Yankee Doodle Dixie
hey ho -the lumineers
Home-Phillip Phillips
Budweiser puppy song - passenger

but for this, I have never mastered the lead part to
John Denver's "Late Winter Early Spring (When Everybody Goes to Mexico)
even though the complete tab and score is online. The challenge is that it is four minutes of lead melody licks,, Not an AABB format or similar.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:29 AM
Guest 33123

Day 1: after a LONG practice last night I sat down with the video and watched the lesson and replayed the "as tabbed" version of the Glory of Love a few times. My first goal was to get the song in mind head. This is how I start every fingerpicking song. I don't start getting it under my fingers until I can recall the song well. As I write this the song is playing away in my head non-stop which is a good thing! I'll start in with the first few bars tonight.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write