The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 06:45 AM
Winning!

Fantastic Mary - I shall eagerly live my McKnight dream via Cotten over the coming months!

reagsbydesign (ree-g'ss-b'i-d'sine) n.1. expect the unexpected.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:37 AM
AGF Sponsor

Tim and I are looking forward to this. We're mind boggled and excited.

Cotten will receive a few pictures of the process fairly often. He'll be busy for hours as he goes through the PICASA ALBUMS to decide which pictures are worthy to share with you. I'm sure we will see a couple of them posted now and then.

For those of you who would like to see your investment up front and personal, this is a good time to plan a weekend trip to Santa Rosa where the 2011 Healdsburg venue will be in a new location.

If all goes as planned Cotten's guitar will be on display on the McKnight Guitar table there. Although I'm usually in charge of the display table, Cotten and Tim will still need to discuss how this guitar is be presented to the public. I ask Phil to make suggestions, too.

Example:
Maybe I should stuff cotton balls under the strings to identify it as Cotten's guitar which will also protect the fretboard from scratches. While I'm at it, I think I should stuff the box with cotton balls, too.

I'm not a guitar player, but sumthin' tells me that might ruin any majestic sound when being tone tapped.

I mentioned all this during a conversation with JR who must have been groaning while shaking his head and rolling his eyes.

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.

Last edited by Mary; 10-29-2010 at 05:33 AM.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:57 AM

Hmmm. Perhaps it's time to consider a vacation in Santa Rosa next summer...?
Old 10-28-2010, 08:16 AM
*mahoganut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary View Post
For those of you who would like to see your investment up front and personal, this is a good time to plan a weekend trip to Santa Rosa where the 2011 Healdsburg venue will be in a new location.
I hadn't yet seen anything on location - everything on their website still shows the same performing arts center. But I imagine that you luthiers are getting new info on the application forms?

I'll do some thinking about "presentation" but my input is of no more weight than anyone else's (and less than most!).

However, thinking about that does bring something else to mind - I can't see why every person who attends the Healdsburg Guitar Festival shouldn't be a member of the AGF. In addition to the AGF name badges that were made for 2009 attendees (Rebecca and Mary I think were the drivers behind that) I think that perhaps a table with information, or some business cards with the AGF url to hand out, or some "deal" on charter membership, or ?? would be helpful to grow the community in an obvious population.

And Cotten's Award Guitar could help heighten the awareness of the AGF.

So, maybe combining these two ideas, at the McKnight table, Cotten's guitar, along with some information on both the Award Guitar and url-take-with-you cards / notes / something about the AGF?

Possibilities!

Phil
Old 10-28-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvl View Post
...If he wants something he knows where to find me
What a thoughtful, generous offer, Harv! PM and a reply on your web site sent. Let's see what develops!

cotten
Old 10-28-2010, 02:36 PM
AGF Sponsor

Phil

The badges were great for each of us to identify other AGFers.

Rebecca was busy being a grandma so I asked JR for his permission to use the AGF emblem and I made them. I had people PM or e-mail their name, ID and location. I had extras in case folks forgot to order ahead. Spouses wore them as the spouse of and AGF ember.

I made the badges in advance and shipped them along with McKnight guitars two weeks in advance as we always do. However, even though there were many who faithfully wore their badges many did not pick them up at our table.

There is very limited space at any venue, but I will be more than happy to make badges again this year. Since luthiers have no time to scramble around to meet our friends, it is ideal for us to have y'all come to our table to say hi to us!

Tim and I loved meeting our AGF family! Please remind me to start a thread closer to the actual date.

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

[email protected]
Old 10-28-2010, 03:17 PM
AGF Sponsor

By the way, I want to make it clear ahead of time that AGF badges will be free at Healdsburg (and Newport shows) for the wearing.

All ya gotta do is be an AGF member, stop by the McKnight table to get your AGF badge. Then spend your weekend smiling at all the other folks wearing the AFG badges.

Pretty easy and it's fun to meet others that you already know, yet never met.

[email protected]
Old 10-28-2010, 03:32 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary View Post
...to Santa Rosa where the 2011 Healdsburg venue will be in a new location.

Do tell...?
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 10-28-2010, 05:13 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I just want to echo what's been said so many times already. Congrats to John, Tim & Mary. I also look forward to the build pics!
Old 10-28-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
Do tell...?
Hey Larry,

I understand that they moved the venue this year (heard that from Steve Sheriff too) so its not the same location as last year. The location is a smaller venue, so less builders exhibiting than in past shows....I believe its the Hyatt in Santa Rosa.

Aloha, Hen
Clark: A-Wedge Monkeypod/Snkr Rdwd
Cornerstone: Zion All Koa
Cornerstone: Tenor Ukulele Prototype #2 All Koa
Fay: OM Mac Eb/Englemann
Stehr: Aud. Braz/Snkr Rdwd 8-str

Plaid Coyote's gone home to play

Last edited by hnuuhiwa; 10-28-2010 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:43 PM

When is the Festival exactly? Can't tell you how much my wife and I would love being there! Stranger things have happened!
Old 10-28-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post
When is the Festival exactly? Can't tell you how much my wife and I would love being there! Stranger things have happened!
Hey John,

Its basically THE event for Guitar aficionados (but you probably already know that)...or so I've heard, having never had the pleasure to attend myself. Usually held the second/third week of August. Its been going on for ages, and is sponsored by LMI International, held every other year. See the link below re: the previous one held in 2009. 2011 details have not been released to the public yet. Perhaps one of our Builder/Sponsors will chime in with the exact dates...

http://www.lmii.com/GuitarFestival/Default.asp

Aloha,

Hen
Clark: A-Wedge Monkeypod/Snkr Rdwd
Cornerstone: Zion All Koa
Cornerstone: Tenor Ukulele Prototype #2 All Koa
Fay: OM Mac Eb/Englemann
Stehr: Aud. Braz/Snkr Rdwd 8-str

Plaid Coyote's gone home to play
Old 10-28-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
I just want to echo what's been said so many times already. Congrats to John, Tim & Mary. I also look forward to the build pics!
I agree on all accounts!!!
Old 10-28-2010, 07:19 PM

It will be held at the Hyatt Vineyard Creek in Santa Rosa and it will have fewer exhibitors than before.

Should be a great venue because of the central location and the possibility to have your hotel room as your "listening room"

Dates are 8/12 - 8/13 - 8/14 - 2011

I've exhibited at every one so far and it never disappoints!!!

Harv
Old 10-28-2010, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post
What a thoughtful, generous offer, Harv! PM and a reply on your web site sent. Let's see what develops!

cotten
John,

Got your email and PM, I have some ideas... let me put something together and get back to you in a few... I do it now but I'm in the middle of routing holes in a priceless Martin

Harv

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop