The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-31-2010, 07:28 PM

Default Good pickup for Larrivee

Hello AGF member

I am not an expert of pick-ups ...
I currently have an L.R.Baggs M1A pickup installed on my Larrivee LV10.

I like the sound that the pickup picks up but the thing is that when I strum sometimes the pickup bothers me... and I just cannot deal with the soundhole pick up anymore...

Long story short.. does anyone know what kind of pick-up works well with Larrivee's??? (The kind of the wood matters when choosing a pickup? mine is a madagascar RW.)

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 01-31-2010, 09:25 PM

K&K Pure Western mini. It's passive though, so depending on whether you're playing solo or in a band you may need an external preamp. I've had one in my OM-03R for a couple of years now and I love it, though I will admit that the K&K PWM can sound mid-heavy so it's best to tweak the EQ on the preamp or get a separate graphic equalizer.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:27 PM

My favorite is the Baggs passive Ibeam with the off board pre-amp.i hare batteries in guitars.Nice natural sound.

So you know I use a mic system but its not for every one.So get on line and listen to whats available.Remember your only hearing a sample and it may?will sound different in person.
My tools-Larrivee OM03PA and J05,72 Harmony made Fender 12 string,Guild JF30 6+12,Stagg E/A,Guild Starfire bass,a couple of Tele's,65 Gibson L48 and a 49 L7,mando,balzuki,a couple of Gretsch's,72 Fender Princton Reverb,Ultra Sound AC30 and a bunch of other toys.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:26 PM

I have an LR Baggs Element System in my 0M-03 which i like for my duo as I can turn up without feedback- but if I were going solo I would consider the Baggs I-Mix-or something similar. There's a guy at an open-mic near me who has a Larrivee OM with it and it sounds really great.

Mike

Martin D28
Martin DC-16RGTE Aura
Guild F-30rce (New Hartford)
Guild D-40c
Guild D-35s (both Guild Dreads are late 70's Westerley models)
Larrivee 0M-03
Taylor 314ce (Mahogany top)
Frog Level FL-18 (Custom-Martin D-18 style)
Tacoma Chief C1C (sunburst)
Fender F95 (mid 70's beauty-really!)
Sigma GC1 (Martin 00-18 style)
Takamine EG128sc (nylon)
Old 02-01-2010, 03:38 PM

I'm about to install a Pick-Up the World Dynamic Trio in my L-03. I'll be posting a review after I've had a chance to play it.

What I Got:
Larrivee Mahogany/Spruce Satin Parlor
Martin OMC-16GTE
Martin DSS-17
Alvarez MF60CEOM

Fender Special Run Standard Jazz Bass - Flame Maple top - Tobacco Burst (Moderately modified)
Old 02-01-2010, 03:58 PM

2 Larrivees = 2 K&K PWM's with an XLR preamp. I go through a PA (even at home) and love the sound. I would prefer just a good mic but that isn't really practical in most situations ('cept at home). I have been in some small tight clubs and some loud outside venues and never had a feedback issue. I do have a couple lutehole covers just in case but really have not needed them althogh I've put them on for a couple outside loud events just in case. I play solo, sometimes a duo so drums etc are not a problem. Love the sound they give me, I do roll out some mids, but that is just tweaking for my tastes in tone. I like simple and as few knobs to mess with as possible, if there is a knob I feel almost required to turn it. The PWM/XLR is about as clean easy and simple as they come.
Kids got the others

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=797065
Old 02-01-2010, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryguy87 View Post
Hello AGF member

I am not an expert of pick-ups ...
I currently have an L.R.Baggs M1A pickup installed on my Larrivee LV10.

I like the sound that the pickup picks up but the thing is that when I strum sometimes the pickup bothers me... and I just cannot deal with the soundhole pick up anymore...

Long story short.. does anyone know what kind of pick-up works well with Larrivee's??? (The kind of the wood matters when choosing a pickup? mine is a madagascar RW.)

Thanks,
Ryan
Larrivee installs the No-Cut L.R. Baggs iMix in their LV-10. This sytem can sound good, especially if you favor the Element UST portion of the pickup system and feed it through a Fishman Aura Spectrum DI. The iBeam portion of the iMix system is a hard-to-install-correctly pickup and even Larrivee can't get it right when using the L.R. Baggs supplied double-sided adhesive strip. You'll most likely find a lack of presence and bass on the 6th E-string whenever you favor 100% of the iBeam pickup in the mix. A better way would be to superglue the iBeam to the bridgeplate but that is a RISKY endeavor given the close proximity of the iBeam to the Element's lead wire! I'd recommend an L.R. Baggs Element Active system which will place a small volume wheel just inside the soundhole. You can run the Element's output through a Fishman Aura Spectrum DI and have a super-good amplified tone for your LV-10.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 02-02-2010 at 11:40 AM.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:46 PM

I've installed lots of the Ibeams with out ever having a problem.
My tools-Larrivee OM03PA and J05,72 Harmony made Fender 12 string,Guild JF30 6+12,Stagg E/A,Guild Starfire bass,a couple of Tele's,65 Gibson L48 and a 49 L7,mando,balzuki,a couple of Gretsch's,72 Fender Princton Reverb,Ultra Sound AC30 and a bunch of other toys.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:26 PM
Charter Member

"Hey, I haven't seen you in here before. Want to make beautiful music together ?"

Could not resist based on the title

Why can't we just get along
Old 02-02-2010, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclrob View Post
I've installed lots of the Ibeams with out ever having a problem.
Installing an iBeam-only system is easy but to get it right when installing the iMix system can be difficult because of the Element's leadwire proximity to the iBeam's bass end when installing the iBeam directly under the bridge on the bridgeplate per instructions. The conjunction of the Element's lead-wire and iBeam's end seems to diminish the output and presence of the iBeam's 6th-string signal, at least it did on my Larrivee D-05E and on a new Larrivee LV-09E that I auditioned recently at my dealer.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 02-02-2010 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:51 AM

see http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=175701
that's me on guitar
Old 02-02-2010, 03:11 PM

The Ibeam has a notch that you can feed the bass side wire thru.It takes a little more time but again never had a problem.As they say your milage may vary.I will say also that those who have the Imix installed endup using the Ibeam mostly.Now I'm not putting the system down,just feedback from my clients.
As I said I prefer a mic.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakatak View Post
K&K Pure Western mini. It's passive though, so depending on whether you're playing solo or in a band you may need an external preamp. I've had one in my OM-03R for a couple of years now and I love it, though I will admit that the K&K PWM can sound mid-heavy so it's best to tweak the EQ on the preamp or get a separate graphic equalizer.

+1 on the K&K...I have one each on my Larrivee L03 Hog and Taylor 412K. It's the best I've heard and also quite affordable, under $90. Very accurate reproduction of the guitar's tone with no piezo quack because it attaches to the bridge plate instead of under the saddle.

The poster above is correct about the mids, however this is due to the fact that the EQ response of the pickup is very flat, which makes it sound hot in the mids to the ear. This is precisely what you want, and all that's needed is to dish out the mids a bit to get a balanced tone when playing solo...if you play with a band, you're going to want that "extra" mid response.

These put out quite a lot of level all on their own, especially for passive pups, so depending on your gear, you might not even need a preamp. Personally, I run mine direct into a mixer channel that has a mic pre and it works great.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:04 PM

+1 on the iMix
Old 02-13-2010, 09:17 PM
Charter Member

oh boy, here I am again preaching for the KK (ha ha). dude, get a KK mini and be done.l No offense Unc Rob but the passive Ibeam is not good for versitile live use. It is a bit airy and will boom on you in a minute if you are working witha real PA. I have a buddy that has one and we have played many gigs together for 50-500 people. His ibeam is a pain in the a&% for monitor feedback and for eq as well. Very nice pickup for quiet solo stuff but get a few people yacking and you are in trouble with that one imo. The KK will work in any setting with a little eq and is the best single source I have tried (and I have tried just about all of them). It will mimic the charector of your guitar though so if you have a midrangy guitar..guess what.....

By the way, I have had these in 7- 8 guitars with success in all sorts of gigs. I have a buddy who has one in a Larrivee OM-50 and it is the best live sounding acoustic I think I have ever heard on a PA. Subjective of course but man it matches up great with that guitar...the guitar is balanced and dry and so is the sound through the KK.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification