The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-26-2020, 10:20 PM

Default Finger picks for short nails

I used to play classical guitar about 30 years ago then stopped, because I started to play classical piano more seriously. Piano and long finger nails do not go well together. Now I want to learn classical guitar again while keeping piano as main instrument. Anyone can suggest finger picks for a person like me who cannot grow finger nails?
Old 05-29-2020, 06:16 AM
Charter Member

I have been trying out Alaska Piks, available from Strings By Mail. Here is the writeup...
Alaska Pik Guitar Finger Picks
Alaska Piks are unique guitar picks: They slide over your finger and under your nail. Then you can manicure them to a precise length using nail clippers and a file.

Alaska Piks come in four sizes: small, medium, large, and extra large. Get the one that matches your glove size, or try a few to see which works best for you.

They seem stable, at least for my playing style, don't cost much and don't feel too odd, but YMMV. I have short stubby fingers and use 2 XLs and an L - it pays to buy a few and see what fits.I still need to get the shaping right for me.
The XL will actually fit my thumb, but I haven't used it for that yet.
Old 05-29-2020, 06:33 AM

Thank you so much! I will check out that site.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

I’m using Alaska picks too. I normally use acrylics and a Fred Kelly Slick pick but with the salon closed for two months I’m trying them. I really like the tone which is almost identical to the acrylics.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical