The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-29-2020, 08:05 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Looks great, please put me down for a fan of the bevel as well. Looks great. I can't wait to see this one under finish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele_Eddie View Post
My, oh my, getting more beautiful as she progresses. I think I'm in love!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpinteria View Post
What a beautiful guitar! Everything works so well together in both design and execution. I’d love to hear it. Dave
Thanks guys, kind words are greatly appreciated.
Credit where it it due: the bevel idea--this version anyway--is courtesy of Kevin Ryan.
The radial veneering was first seen on a guitar by Joel Stehr. Not sure he was the first to try this, but he was the first I saw. It was attractive, it made sense, and it still does. Gleaning from our peers (back to BEJ's point) makes us better craftsmen. I sincerely appreciate the inspiration provided by these great builders.

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 05-29-2020, 10:55 AM

Steve, thanks for your reply, we sometimes forget when we see outstanding examples of the craft that the creator at some point had never made a guitar. No matter where they end up they had to start the journey somewhere.

That being said some have talents either developed through work or maybe something they always had and the highest expression of these is guitar building. Mostly likely not a lot but there are some who fall in to this group, the rest of us have a little more work to do. The old saying "it's not the destination but the journey that's important" seem like a lot to me at different times but with guitar building I've found the efforts to solve problems in order to move foreword seems to bear this out, the quest has become the joy.

A big thanks to you and all the great builders on this site that inspire us to do better, to aim a little higher and get close to a 100% of our talent no matter what the result is. Thinking about this post before writing I wondered what might be a goal for a guitar I build that was good looking, in tune, and playable. The short sublime guitar into (27sec) from Joan Baez's "Diamonds and Rust." played on something I built would make it worth the effort expended.

Writing this as I'm waiting for a glue up to dry wonder how many hours go into a build waiting for things to happen.

Bruce,

Last edited by TomB'sox; 05-29-2020 at 02:21 PM. Reason: masked profanity
Old 05-29-2020, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Smile Getting closer...

Wow, what a beauty. Thanks for sharing this all with us!

Stay home and play guitar!!!

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 06-02-2020, 11:32 AM

OK, here's a milestone.

First, the binding going in to the cutaway.

Some final leveling of the binding and purfling. With curls!

And now, with the exception of final sanding the box is complete. Is "heartstopping" too strong an adjective?

Old 06-02-2020, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

Awesome! That light purfling really sets of the sides nicely!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 06-02-2020, 02:41 PM
Music soothes the soul!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanceen View Post
.... Is "heartstopping" too strong an adjective?
Figuratively speaking maybe not, literally ... wouldn't go there!

Beautiful stuff
Old 06-03-2020, 07:46 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEJ View Post
...but with guitar building I've found the efforts to solve problems in order to move foreword seems to bear this out, the quest has become the joy.
Bruce,
Hey Bruce, thanks again for the kind words. And yes, my experience is similar to your sentiment above. In my earlier days, even procuring raw materials was like a treasure hunt. Boat stores for spruce, rock shops for abalone (whole shells), frame shops for Titebond, our local hardware store carried quarter sawn, 1x12 redwood for shelving that would make a 5A top now. It was the thrill of the hunt when there was no LMI or Allied Lutherie to do one stop shopping.
And then to think and work through the different steps of construction!
Yes, it was in large measure reinventing the wheel, but it does produce an independence and resourcefulness that is not altogether a bad thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
Wow, what a beauty. Thanks for sharing this all with us!

Stay home and play guitar!!!

Paul
Thank you Paul!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanceen View Post

And now, with the exception of final sanding the box is complete. Is "heartstopping" too strong an adjective?
The last thing we want to do, Vance, is stop your heart. We'll settle for stun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Awesome! That light purfling really sets of the sides nicely!
Thanks Kevin, this is borrowed, of course, from classical guitar construction aesthetics. Glad you like it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Beautiful stuff
Thanks mucho, Dennis! I'm looking forward to the report of your new McKnight!

Steve

Old 06-03-2020, 05:38 PM

This one has that special Kinnaird Mojo, I can hear it in my mind's ear already!
Old 06-03-2020, 05:58 PM

Steve, What a great example of what can be done, so so tight. Good to hear someone else had putzed around looking for different items, where I live, Seattle, there at one time were a lot of surplus, salvage, whatever shops one could spend hours looking at different things and wonder what could I make using some of these things, all gone now, so much for progress.

Looking at another build thread on this forum got me to thinking of something most of us haven't experienced but you have. ….Steve waiting on a glue up..think I'll check out AG see what's going on...jeeze some nice builds going on...what's this one J Kinnaird mm where have I heard that name??? Looks like a real nice build he has going...wait that's way more than just nice it's fantastic what a talent. J K'''rings a bell...think where have I heard that name think Steve think...The Little Voice says "Steve he's your brother dummy," What, what how could I not know my own brother's work,...no man my brother couldn't make something like that in a million tears, he's a great guy but no...no way. Way dude that's him and he did build it and a whole lot more...really who would have thought….OMG I have to get back in the shop and ramp it, up way up not going to let my brother one up me...looks like I've got a lot of work ahead of me the guy is really, really good isn't he!

Guess one having a brother doing the same thing you are and doing so well should be a blessing, looks like you guys have a good outlook on as far as I can tell, hope this is taken in good fun as it's intent.

Bruce,

Last edited by BEJ; 06-03-2020 at 11:15 PM.
Old 06-05-2020, 11:54 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
This one has that special Kinnaird Mojo, I can hear it in my mind's ear already!
Tom, now that the binding is on, thumping the top yields very promising results.
At the very least, Vance will have a fine drum when it's all finished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEJ View Post
Steve, What a great example of what can be done, so so tight. Good to hear someone else had putzed around looking for different items, where I live, Seattle, there at one time were a lot of surplus, salvage, whatever shops one could spend hours looking at different things and wonder what could I make using some of these things, all gone now, so much for progress.

Looking at another build thread on this forum got me to thinking of something most of us haven't experienced but you have. ….Steve waiting on a glue up..think I'll check out AG see what's going on...jeeze some nice builds going on...what's this one J Kinnaird mm where have I heard that name??? Looks like a real nice build he has going...wait that's way more than just nice it's fantastic what a talent. J K'''rings a bell...think where have I heard that name think Steve think...The Little Voice says "Steve he's your brother dummy," What, what how could I not know my own brother's work,...no man my brother couldn't make something like that in a million tears, he's a great guy but no...no way. Way dude that's him and he did build it and a whole lot more...really who would have thought….OMG I have to get back in the shop and ramp it, up way up not going to let my brother one up me...looks like I've got a lot of work ahead of me the guy is really, really good isn't he!

Guess one having a brother doing the same thing you are and doing so well should be a blessing, looks like you guys have a good outlook on as far as I can tell, hope this is taken in good fun as it's intent.

Bruce,
Bruce, you can hardly imagine what a blessing it has been to have a "bro in the biz". At least, from MY end of the equation. John has been a constant goad and encouragement to me, and my chief source of inspiration. And you are right, sometimes I look at his work and think, who is this guy? Jeepers, he's good! I only wish I lived closer...

Thanks for stopping by guys!

Old 06-06-2020, 12:36 PM

Now that the box is put together and bound, the focus is moving to head and neck work. I was surprised (due to my ignorance) that they actually fit the neck to the guitar and do fine adjustments to the angle before it goes off for finishing.

So here's the head with just that last piece of binding sticking out, and on from there. I skipped a lot of steps!

The truss rod installed:

And the fretboard going on after some trimming of the neck.

Gratuitous curls shot:

And the heel emerges:

Old 06-06-2020, 12:40 PM

I wanted to save these for a separate post so they don't get buried.

Here's the neck fitted. It will come off and get put into the right shape when the box goes out for finishing. Steve and Ryan do the neck finishing in-house.

And the front, with the bridge pinned into position.

I think the color balance may be shifted to yellow a bit by tungsten light in these shots, but I still think they look great.
Old 06-06-2020, 01:48 PM
AGF Sponsor

Looking extra good. Crisp lines, coherent design. Loving it.
Old 06-07-2020, 04:40 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Wow Vance. She's a beaut!
Old 06-08-2020, 07:19 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
Looking extra good. Crisp lines, coherent design. Loving it.
Thanks brother, fraternal flattery is, frankly, fortuitous. Fank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Wow Vance. She's a beaut!
Though directed to Vance, let me offer a word of thanks to you Dennis.
Really appreciate you following along, and chiming in so often!

Steve

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop