The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-31-2022, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Default My Wifes favorite thing to do in Summer

Took the wife fishing yesterday, her favorite pastime in the spring & summer. me and my Dad would go fishing all the time when i was a kid, brooks and streams for brook trout, we'd leave at 5 am and not come home till dark. My Dad loved fishing. when i returned to canada 15 years ago upon his passing, i inherited all his fishing gear, some really nice stuff, mitchell reels, bamboo rods, telelscopics for brook fishing, etc...since that was mine and my dads thing i really had no interest so i gave it all to the wife who said she would like to try fishing...well let me tell you she took to it like a duck to water, she even has a little worm farm for herself she would even keep a couple rods/reels in the back of the suv for when she would go shopping, so she could stop by the river and try a few casts. I think my Dads spirit and love for fishing is alive and well within Karna my wife.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg karna fish 1.jpg (52.1 KB, 231 views)
File Type: jpg karna fish 2.jpg (37.0 KB, 234 views)

1929 SS Stewart Pro Archtop
1921 G Houghton Archtop Banjo
2007 George Rizsanyi Custom Maple Banjo Killer
2017 James Malejczuk Custom OM Black Limba
1980 Norman B50-12
Norman B-20
Recording King single 0
1996 Takamine
1967 Yam G-130 Melvina
1980s Seagull S6 Cedar
2003 Briarwood
1970s Eko Maple
1982 Ovation
2020 Fender Telecaster
Mandolin
Yam THR5A
Sienna 35 Kustom
Old 07-31-2022, 09:08 PM
Charter Member

That's a great story and wonderful photos, Don! That is so cool for your dad's love of fishing to be alive in your wife!

- Glenn
Old 08-01-2022, 09:44 AM

My Dad was not into fishing, which meant that my brother and I never did it growing up, and to this day I still haven't been fishing. But it looks to be a really nice way of spending a day - maybe one day!
Old 08-02-2022, 05:33 PM

My Dad always took me fishing as well but we mostly did deep sea fishing. Spent so many weekends fishing in the ocean. When I was an adult he moved back home and lived on a lake, we would bass fish from his dock. He got a rare and really aggressive form of cancer and died 3 months after his diagnoses (6 years ago), one of the last things we did together was fish, he was too weak to put the worms on his hook or take the bass off so I did it for him, just like he did for me when I was little.

That's great you are able to use your Dad's gear and fish, what a way to remember him.
2021 Fender Strat AM Pro II
Old 08-06-2022, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

So great you can share that with your wife. My dad was a dedicated trout fisherman, and my best memories growing up were when he’d take me along on trips, teach me how to fish, and prepare and cook the day’s catch. Every year we’d go on vacation for two weeks in the summer to Lake Averill in northern Vermont, where he’d been fishing since childhood. He, and my mom or I would be out on the lake daily, trolling for lake trout. My preference was fishing for brook trout, but I welcomed any chance to be out with him.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 08-07-2022, 06:43 AM
Charter Member

My dad would take me fishing quite often in my youth and in our violently disfunction, alcohol driven home, it was a nice escape to a peaceful and predictable place for me. It's pretty much the only thing my dad had an interest in that didn't include being goofy drunk.

We also fished with my grandfather in Kentucky whenever we visited and I would often stay with him during summer breaks for a week or two and fishing every day that we possibly could was our main objective. I still have two fishing rods and reels that he gave me and some time after he died I was able to get his Coleman lantern that we always fished with after dark. In my early teens my best buddy and I would pedal our bikes to every lake and stream within an hours ride to fish away the careless summer days. All good memories.

I think your Dad is likely very pleased to see how much peace your wife is getting with his fishing gear. Thanks for sharing that!
Old 08-07-2022, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
That's a great story and wonderful photos, Don! That is so cool for your dad's love of fishing to be alive in your wife!

- Glenn
thanks Glenn, appreciated.

1980 Norman B50-12
Norman B-20
Recording King single 0
1996 Takamine
1967 Yam G-130 Melvina
1980s Seagull S6 Cedar
2003 Briarwood
1970s Eko Maple
1982 Ovation
2020 Fender Telecaster
Mandolin
Yam THR5A
Sienna 35 Kustom
Old 08-07-2022, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
My Dad was not into fishing, which meant that my brother and I never did it growing up, and to this day I still haven't been fishing. But it looks to be a really nice way of spending a day - maybe one day!
it can be very meditative, as long as you have patience you should give it a whirl or a cast..

1980 Norman B50-12
Norman B-20
Recording King single 0
1996 Takamine
1967 Yam G-130 Melvina
1980s Seagull S6 Cedar
2003 Briarwood
1970s Eko Maple
1982 Ovation
2020 Fender Telecaster
Mandolin
Yam THR5A
Sienna 35 Kustom
Old 08-07-2022, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Dee View Post
My Dad always took me fishing as well but we mostly did deep sea fishing. Spent so many weekends fishing in the ocean. When I was an adult he moved back home and lived on a lake, we would bass fish from his dock. He got a rare and really aggressive form of cancer and died 3 months after his diagnoses (6 years ago), one of the last things we did together was fish, he was too weak to put the worms on his hook or take the bass off so I did it for him, just like he did for me when I was little.

That's great you are able to use your Dad's gear and fish, what a way to remember him.
Thanks Mike, that was a very inspirational and touching story, as we age its amazing the full circle experiences we have with our loved ones I miss my Dad every day, was my best friend, best man at my wedding and my mentor. would have loved to have tried deep sea fishing, but never have. even when i lived in central america i had lots of opportunity to but never baited a hook without my dad.

1980 Norman B50-12
Norman B-20
Recording King single 0
1996 Takamine
1967 Yam G-130 Melvina
1980s Seagull S6 Cedar
2003 Briarwood
1970s Eko Maple
1982 Ovation
2020 Fender Telecaster
Mandolin
Yam THR5A
Sienna 35 Kustom
Old 08-07-2022, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seannx View Post
So great you can share that with your wife. My dad was a dedicated trout fisherman, and my best memories growing up were when he’d take me along on trips, teach me how to fish, and prepare and cook the day’s catch. Every year we’d go on vacation for two weeks in the summer to Lake Averill in northern Vermont, where he’d been fishing since childhood. He, and my mom or I would be out on the lake daily, trolling for lake trout. My preference was fishing for brook trout, but I welcomed any chance to be out with him.
Agreed Sean, brook trout is where it was at when i was a kid...we'd bring some bacon fat, coleman stove, a pan, catch a few, cook em up for eating my a stream, and and then catch some more to bring home.

1980 Norman B50-12
Norman B-20
Recording King single 0
1996 Takamine
1967 Yam G-130 Melvina
1980s Seagull S6 Cedar
2003 Briarwood
1970s Eko Maple
1982 Ovation
2020 Fender Telecaster
Mandolin
Yam THR5A
Sienna 35 Kustom
Old 08-07-2022, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe white View Post
My dad would take me fishing quite often in my youth and in our violently disfunction, alcohol driven home, it was a nice escape to a peaceful and predictable place for me. It's pretty much the only thing my dad had an interest in that didn't include being goofy drunk.

We also fished with my grandfather in Kentucky whenever we visited and I would often stay with him during summer breaks for a week or two and fishing every day that we possibly could was our main objective. I still have two fishing rods and reels that he gave me and some time after he died I was able to get his Coleman lantern that we always fished with after dark. In my early teens my best buddy and I would pedal our bikes to every lake and stream within an hours ride to fish away the careless summer days. All good memories.

I think your Dad is likely very pleased to see how much peace your wife is getting with his fishing gear. Thanks for sharing that!
My Dad was much the same Joe, kept a flat of beer by his lazy boy and would drink them warm..eww. although fishing was his zen thing he always brought too much beer, once when Mom came with us he had her carry the 24 of beer on the edge of stream until she got fed up and dropped it in the brook and walked all the way back to car. wasn't a good night once we got home, but i still treasure those fishing times with me and him. i remember those times of growing up in an alcoholic home like you, some scary times but the fishing memories are one of my happy thoughts that i choose to hold close to my heart and filed the rest in my memory bank to learn from and not dwell on or repeat, although Mom and Dad are gone, my only sibling has made the choice to dwell on the past and use it as a crutch to justify hurting others instead of moving forward and making their own future much brighter.

1980 Norman B50-12
Norman B-20
Recording King single 0
1996 Takamine
1967 Yam G-130 Melvina
1980s Seagull S6 Cedar
2003 Briarwood
1970s Eko Maple
1982 Ovation
2020 Fender Telecaster
Mandolin
Yam THR5A
Sienna 35 Kustom
Old 08-08-2022, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
There is a Pete Hutlinger Fyfishing and Guitar Camp in August. After a week of guitar you finish up with a day of fly fishing on the Yellowstone River.
Guild 12 String
Mark V Classical
Martin Dreadnaught
Weber Mandolin
Old 08-08-2022, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssstewart View Post
Thanks Mike, that was a very inspirational and touching story, as we age its amazing the full circle experiences we have with our loved ones I miss my Dad every day, was my best friend, best man at my wedding and my mentor. would have loved to have tried deep sea fishing, but never have. even when i lived in central america i had lots of opportunity to but never baited a hook without my dad.
Thanks for your kind words and I feel you here, every day I think about him.
2021 Fender Strat AM Pro II

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic