The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-25-2022, 06:19 PM

Default Adding text to pics

I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I'm running Windows 10, and when I've saved pics of guitars, motorcycles, etc., I've always used the Windows text/edit option to add notes and info to the pics.

Suddenly, that option is no longer available?

Can anyone suggest a simple, user friendly text/edit app that doesn't require my email, phone# and wants to share my personal info with other apps and sites?

Any help is greatly appreciated. FWIW, if you look up "computer illiterate" in a dictionary, my picture is there.
Old 07-29-2022, 10:20 PM
Charter Member

Windows 10 has two apps to view and edit photos.

1. called simply "Photos"
2. Paint

Photos is not 'great' for adding text. I say this because it is more for artistic rendering so to add text you have to select one of the "pen or pencil" options and use the mouse to write your text.

IPaint provides for many more options, which makes it a little more daunting. However, once you do it once, in Paint, then it's pretty easy.

I typed in a search using this phrase and got a good handful of hits that explain how to do this in Paint. At first, it'll require "a few" steps but it's not tricky and any of the sites I read, explain it clearly. I'd give Paint a try before Photos since, it turns out, Paint supports a text editor (whereas in Photos it's more like sketching your words; in cursive).

If you wish to try Photos, open an image in Photos. Select the 3 little dots at the top and then select the "mark up" option and try the pen or pencil. I haven't tried the calligraphy option but that could be fun.

I actually do most of my editing in Powerpoint, because that's how I use most of my images (for programs I give for work). If you do not use Microsoft Office stuff, any such graphics package will work. Office Libre is a freeware version and very nice (you may be able to select just the graphic option but when i've downloaded it, I got the entire suite of text editor, spreadsheet, graphics, probably more).

Using PPT or similar is of course more cumbersome. You can re-save your images as a jpg but it's another couple of steps.

I will boldly suggest that you do a search using my phrase above, then select any of the handful of hits you'll see for using Paint, and follow the instructions.

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics
Old 08-03-2022, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

This may/may not veer a bit off your intended path, but I use the Mematic app on my iPhone. Quick and handy, I can use it anywhere, anytime. Far more versatile than what you see here, I add captions, headlines, backgrounds, standout text boxes, varied fonts, invert/spin text, colors, etc., etc. In fact, if I want to manipulate an image on my PC (Windows 10), I usually send it to my phone because it's easier. Takes seconds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image-1.jpg (46.2 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by tinnitus; 08-04-2022 at 11:28 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic