The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-21-2022, 07:04 AM
Charter Member

Default Who has played live for the most people?

I got on this thought this morning, and I thought I'd throw it out here.

What living artist has played live for the most people (I'll acknowledge my cultural bias here, as I'm only including English speaking artists that I've heard of... there my be a Chinese or Indian, etc. musician that I've never heard of that blows these candidates away)?

My guess is it has to be Bob Weir. Has basically been playing live gigs consistently since 1965 and still doing stadium shows (or, perhaps better stated, is doing stadium shows again).

Phil, Bill and Mickey are up there too, but I'd think Bobby has more because of Ratdog and Wolf Bros, and his solo stuff probably draws better.

Other obvious candidates would include The Stones, but they've toured much more sporadically. Same thing with Paul McCartney. Neil Young...again, much more sporadic touring.

Can't really think of anybody else who would even be close, especially given consistency of playing live gigs. Lots of younger artists might have played for 100K crowds regularly, but it's hard to make up a 40-50 year head start.

Maybe some anonymous pit musician that's played 6 shows a week on Broadway for the past 50 years?

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 07-21-2022, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

Now that I've looked, I see that (unsurprisingly) this question has come up elsewhere... just for clarification, obviously many people (including myself) have seen Bobby play live more than once. I'm talking more about tickets sold/butts in chairs than individual souls that have attended.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 07-21-2022, 07:24 AM
Charter Member

Dylan's gotta be real close. Not playing as many stadiums these days (at least bigger than minor league baseball stadiums, which I've found are a great venue for seeing Bob), but he's been on the road constantly for a LONG time now and played plenty of huge places along the way. Gotta be in a league with Willie Nelson.

-Ray
Old 07-21-2022, 07:35 AM
Musical minimalist

Mr Buffett would be near the top of the list too - I think for several years he had been the biggest ticket seller. I don't think he's touring as much as he was pre-pandemic, but for more than 3 decades he's been having a pretty good run

Elton John isn't too far from the top either.

Old 07-21-2022, 07:39 AM
Charter Member

Yeah Dylan and Willie have to be in the ball park... I was reading a thread on a different forum and Elton John was getting some traction, as was BB King.

Apparently, though I don't remember this, in the documentary The Other One Bobby claims that he has spent more time on stage than anyone else (any musician) alive. That I do not buy for a second... that has to be some anonymous working musician... the house drummer at a jazz club, or somebody with a Vegas residency like Wayne Newton... somebody that was doing it darn near every day.

(Call me Dan)
Old 07-21-2022, 09:58 AM

Interesting question. On the one hand, the Grateful Dead have sold something like 25 million tickets. On the other hand, they sold them all to the same 50,000 people.
Old 07-21-2022, 10:04 AM

The Who could be considered.
Old 07-21-2022, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

I bet that James Taylor is getting up there as well.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 07-21-2022, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by posternutbag View Post
Interesting question. On the one hand, the Grateful Dead have sold something like 25 million tickets. On the other hand, they sold them all to the same 50,000 people.
That made me laugh.

What did the Deadhead say when he ran out of weed?

This band sucks.

Kidding. Anyway, the question could be clarified. If it is the number who attend to see THAT person, then the names already submitted are likely. But, as been stated, the real likely is some anonymous player who has been on stage for 50 years.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)
Old 07-21-2022, 10:55 AM

I vote for Doug Green (Ranger Doug) of 'Riders in the Sky.' That band has done over 7200 live performances, and he's been in every one.

My next vote would be Jeff Hanna of the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. He's been an original part of the Dirt Band since 1966, and they have been active & touring since then.

Smaller numbers for these two men for most gigs, but cumulatively...
Old 07-21-2022, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
Mr Buffett would be near the top of the list too - I think for several years he had been the biggest ticket seller. I don't think he's touring as much as he was pre-pandemic, but for more than 3 decades he's been having a pretty good run

Elton John isn't too far from the top either.
Yep. I would say based on total number of concerts in large venues for over 40 years with a national tour schedule and loyal following of patrons, Mr. Buffett has to be at, or near, the top.

Edit: and to add as Todd said, Sir Elton is waaay up there too.

Last edited by 12barBill; 07-21-2022 at 11:26 AM.
Old 07-21-2022, 12:08 PM

Well Bobby has been doing between 100-200 large shows each year for a LONG time, my guess is that that has been true at least since Europe ‘72 was released; and he has done some other smaller shows during that time span, as well as smaller shows for a number of years before Europe ‘72 . There are other folks who could probably draw as many or more folks for any given tour, but I don’t think most bands or individuals do that many shows, year in and year out. Some that do that many shows don’t draw crowds that are nearly as large. Certainly the Stones have not done that many shows. Dylan might be a contender.

Can’t think of too many other possible names….
Old 07-21-2022, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

Paul McCartney comes to mind.
Old 07-21-2022, 01:55 PM
Charter Member

Maybe the Stones have played to bigger audiences on bigger tours.

Maybe a life long gigger somewhere has played more shows.

But, all things considered, my guess is Bob Weir and that it's not particularly close.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 07-21-2022, 02:06 PM

Default Who has played live for the most people?

Hang onto your seats, boys and girls :
  1. New York Philharmonic (founded 1842)
  2. The Beach Boys
  3. B.B. King
  4. Ray Charles
  5. Blue Öyster Cult
  6. Johnny Cash
  7. Jerry Lee Lewis
  8. Elton John
  9. Frank Sinatra
  10. Santana
(Courtesy of setlist.fm)