The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-21-2022, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumei View Post
I want to, but I am not. I think Air Canada was ranked the worst in the world. Yippee!

I want to because my artist mentor, who lives in Santa Rosa, CA, is 94 years old and, well, I don't know (obviously) how long she is going to stay alive. I would really like to see her in person one more time.

I am mostly OK with the planes themselves, it is the airports that make me cringe. While the drive down the coast from Vancouver to San Francisco is, IMO, one of the truly great drives on the planet, I am having a hard time thinking about it. I have done that drive at least 40 times (every year since 1991, sometimes three times in the same year). I would also love to hike the redwoods again. But, sheesh, I am finding long drives are more and more uncomfortable. I also have no cruise control, or A/C. So.....

Driving 1500 miles in the heat of summer? Pass. Plus my only vehicle is an old full size van with a V8. I could probably fly around the world for what it would cost in gas. Pass.

Maybe if I would feel differently if I had someone to visit. Like kids. I sure see that. But other than that one person (see above) there is no one for me to visit. Any travel is strictly for my own interest/pleasure. Airports? Nope. Not quite ready yet.
Maybe take the Coast Starlight as far as Sacramento & rent a car there?
Old 07-21-2022, 03:32 PM

The trick to happy air travel, I've found, is assuming you won't make it. Weather, or maintenance, or a crew timeout will almost certainly prevent you from getting where you're going in a timely manner.

So plan alternatives. "If this flight cancels, or if ALL flights cancel today, how will I make the situation a happy one?"

Make sure you LITERALLY pack a lunch. Having a turkey sandwich in your personal bag makes you look like a genius in an airport where the restaurants have all closed.

Know the lay of the land around the airports you are flying to and from--what are hotel prices like? Anything nearby of interest? If this doesn't work out, where will I sleep? How will I get there? Having this info in your pocket will help you transition to action, rather than wringing your hands in a long line at the check in counter or taxi stand.

Stay hydrated. Never pass up a decent bathroom. Be kind to others, even and especially the insuffrerable ones, of which airports seem to have many.

Then get on your plane and arrive safely at your destination, which happens the incredibly vast majority of the time. Eat your sandwich when the first drink service comes by.

Source: I'm in the biz
Old 07-21-2022, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
Maybe take the Coast Starlight as far as Sacramento & rent a car there?
This is a wonderful option, preferable to air travel in many ways, but be prepared for delays that make air travel delays look tiny. The Cascades line, on which I live, is routinely as much as 24 hours late and rarely less than five. Once you're on, it's great!
Old 07-21-2022, 07:35 PM

Plus, have you seen what is happening with car rentals? Here they are pretty much unavailable. And Driving from Sacramento to Santa Rosa - bleeech.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)
Old 07-21-2022, 08:23 PM

Story on line here in Australia - couple flew from Sydney to Bali - her case didn't show up - waited 3 hours - no idea where it was - contained all the wife's toiletries - QANTAS gave her $60 to replace them - a couple of days before their return flight home, the missing case shows up - as they go to board their flight home QANTAS demands $380 for 'excess baggage' - told to 'pay or stay'!

Only when they got home and contacted the media did QANTAS refund them the $380 they were forced to pay.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 07-21-2022, 10:21 PM
Charter Member

A few weeks ago my wife flew from Iowa to San Antonio via Minneapolis. Going went smooth enough, coming home she got out of Minneapolis two hours late because the radio wasn't working. They got out from the gate and had to come back so they sat on the tarmac. She was in first class so she said it was drinks all around but that the passengers in coach got ignored. Anyway I drove down to pick her up and the drive down for me was longer than her flight was supposed to be from Minneapolis. I had to sit around myself waiting at the terminal. It was after midnight when she finally got in and I had fallen asleep in a chair.

The end of September we are flying the Iowa family members out to LA to visit the West Coast family members.. We are taking a six year old and a three year old in our group. That should be an adventure. Hopefully they will have it all figured out by then.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/

Last edited by rllink; 07-21-2022 at 10:34 PM.
Old 07-21-2022, 10:53 PM

Hi Fumei

Amtrak offers service between Vancouver and Santa Rosa (Edwards Street). There is a 1 1/2 hour Amtrak bus connector between Martinez (just before Sacramento) and Santa Rosa.

Explanations:
https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Vancouv...sa#r/Bus-train

https://www.amtrak.com/thruway-conne...l-destinations

(Wishing we had great train networks like Europe and China)
2014 Fender Concert Pro (New Hartford) - red spruce, mahogany

Last edited by casualmusic; 07-21-2022 at 11:39 PM.
Old 07-22-2022, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silurian View Post
I'm flying to Italy on Saturday morning. Flying from a small airport (Bristol). Hopefully it won't be too chaotic.
Hope it will be OK. We just got back from Rhodes via Cardiff - only a 45 minute delay out and 60 minute delay back, both due to air traffic congestion over Croatia and Germany respectively. Airports both ends were pretty quiet.
Old 07-22-2022, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Story on line here in Australia - couple flew from Sydney to Bali - her case didn't show up - waited 3 hours - no idea where it was - contained all the wife's toiletries - QANTAS gave her $60 to replace them - a couple of days before their return flight home, the missing case shows up - as they go to board their flight home QANTAS demands $380 for 'excess baggage' - told to 'pay or stay'!

Only when they got home and contacted the media did QANTAS refund them the $380 they were forced to pay.
The media has helped a people get payments. Amazing what negative publicity will do to have an airline (or any company) pay up when the specific situation hits the news. "It was all a misunderstanding".
Old 07-24-2022, 01:19 PM

My wife, younger son and I will be flying directly to Tampa soon. It's partly a vacation but my in-laws live in St. Pete and they've been on a permanent vacation down there since 2003. My expectations are extremely low. I would much rather we visited them in February.
Old 07-24-2022, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

We flew to the Pacific NW a couple weeks ago. It went without a hitch. Both ways. Delta into Portland via Atlanta and returned from Seattle. I have to say we thought Seattle was one of the worst airports we've been through in a long time. Security check took FOREVER, crowded and filthy airport...
Old 07-26-2022, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

I am eyeing Amtrak for a vacation. It sounds interesting. I'm thinking about grabbing my guitar and taking a trip to Oakland CA. Maybe stop into SCGC for a look around.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 07-26-2022, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

I fly regularly for work and just flew from Vancouver BC to Toronto in Canada with my kids.

Most of my experiences have been reasonable, but I don't check bags and have pre clearance. I also avoid connecting flights.

My kids missed their flight in Paris a few weeks ago even though they arrived 4.5 hrs early and the flight left 1 hr late.

The BC to Toronto flight was 1.5 hrs late. Also the carry on situation was messy as everyone is now trying to bring everything on as they have heard the horror stories.

Sent from my motorola edge (2021) using Acoustic Guitar Forum mobile app
Old 07-27-2022, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

Not travelling by airline. Without exception, everyone I know who has flown since summer began, has been delayed, stranded, or had luggage lost. Thats both foreign and domestic travel.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 07-28-2022, 05:35 PM

I flew last month from Edinburgh to Bologna. All went smoothly, no problems to report.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic