The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-05-2022, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

….what a wonderful glimpse into your life you have given us….best wishes for a speedy recovery…..and yes PT is vital to getting the best outcome possible….as they will no doubt tell you…slow and steady is the key…
Old 08-05-2022, 08:59 PM

We spent a night in the ER recently. My wife had a severe case of hives of all things. They took care of everything and the next day we were just shaking our heads wondering what might have caused the alarming reaction.

It brings out all the best for a devoted husband to care for a wife in need! I just got all soft eyed watching my wife in the ER.

Maybe you can try out some new recipes as the temporary head cook!

Replies are right, surgeries that used to be heavy duty are now routine....well as routine as they can be. All the best on total recovery.
Old 08-05-2022, 09:05 PM
Charter Member

Hi Bob,

I realize I am a little late to this thread, but I'm glad to know your wife came through the surgery well and is doing well at home. A total knee replacement is a big deal, and it will take time to get through all the healing and the PT, but hopefully after a few weeks she will know she did the right thing.

I'm glad you are there with her and will be there over the next week to help her. I started reading out loud one book after another while my wife was recovering from her hip joint replacement. Then she read to me through my two hip replacements. Years later we are still reading to each other, every day. It's a great way to spend time together.

- Glenn
Old 08-06-2022, 08:55 AM

Bob, this is all very good news

I know several people who have been thru this surgery. Two are very close friends one is a band mate.

Their lives changed for the better once they were past recovery.

Keeping on top of all the required PT is essential.

She sounds like she's doing great.

Glad to hear..

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 08-06-2022, 10:09 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Thanks again, folks. Her first home physical therapy session was this morning. It went just fine and left her sore. I suppose that signals success!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 08-06-2022, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Thanks again, folks. Her first home physical therapy session was this morning. It went just fine and left her sore. I suppose that signals success!

Bob
Glad to hear things are going well!
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 08-06-2022, 02:23 PM
Guitar Gourmet

For those following along in their hymnals, all the good pain meds from the surgery yesterday have worn off. With her activity level increased and today's physical therapy, there is expected swelling (as mentioned by the PT instructor) and attendant tenderness and soreness. She's got a great attitude but is a bit more uncomfortable.

Bob

Old 08-06-2022, 02:25 PM

Great news (the effort being made and her attitude, NOT the pain lol).
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 08-07-2022, 07:50 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Today was a rough day of trying to get the pain meds adjusted and performing the physical therapy for three sessions. I'm counting, coaching, and cheer-leading. Each time she does the PT the result is a bit of swelling and, of course, pain and soreness. We had been warned of this and to expect a gentle fever, which has also occurred. You've essentially wounded the body and it is now recovering. She is powering through, pushing through the pain to her flexibility goals.

Bob

Old 08-08-2022, 04:42 AM
Charter Member

Good job Bob, keep up the coaching. She will have some ups and downs and even a setback or two, but she's just got to keep moving forward and stay with her exercises. Does she have that machine that bends the knee back and forth while she is lying in bed?

Knee replacements are hard on the patients, but it will be worth it all once she is recovered and finally pain-free!
Old 08-08-2022, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Today was a rough day of trying to get the pain meds adjusted and performing the physical therapy for three sessions. I'm counting, coaching, and cheer-leading. Each time she does the PT the result is a bit of swelling and, of course, pain and soreness. We had been warned of this and to expect a gentle fever, which has also occurred. You've essentially wounded the body and it is now recovering. She is powering through, pushing through the pain to her flexibility goals.

Bob
yea, this is the tuff days post surgery.

Everyone I know who had this has experienced this exact issue.

It won't last tho, you're doing great support. Hang in there.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 08-08-2022, 12:24 PM

Quote:

Bob
Best wishes. The PT is super important and aside from the surgery it can be felt if the patient isn't used to the activity. With some luck, healing, and that work she should be better off soon!
Old 08-08-2022, 08:07 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Today she woke up feeling a bit better - less pain and swelling. It turned out to be a dual-goal day: "get the big bulky dressing off day" and "cane day." She's been in a cotton wrap around her knee covered by a wrap created by an eight-inch wide Ace bandage that went from ankle to high on her thigh. The physical therapist removed that today. One of the first things the therapist did was watch her walk with the walker she's been on since Friday and then she tried her out at leaving the walker behind for a cane. She passed with flying colors so she'll only have to go back if she has a relapse or is extremely painful. The therapist was extremely enthusiastic about her range of motion and the condition of her knee, so she had my wife pour on the effort extend her range of motion. The therapist anticipated that the exertion would leave her sore, as it did.

I cooked most of dinner tonight. We had frozen BBQ chicken so I reheated that, roasted baby red potatoes, and mixed vegetables. Desert was lemon pound cake for her and low sugar oatmeal raisin cookies for me. I'm anticipating that my cooking is going to become a great incentive for her recovery.

So, onward and upward.

Bob

Old 08-09-2022, 04:17 AM
Charter Member

Good job to both of you. I'm glad to see that she is doing well!
Old 08-10-2022, 11:01 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Yesterday was a day of consolidation for my wife. She had begun experiencing nausea from the pain meds so she cut down on them. She als began experiencing more mobility and flexibility. Today is looking quite positive so I'll report at the end of the day.

Bob

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic