The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-03-2022, 01:08 PM

Default Speaking of Woodstock...

I am going to upstate NY [Catskills] for Martin Taylor and John Knowles guitar Retreat at the end of August, any suggestions about a visit to Wood stock? never been there . Thanks.
Old 08-03-2022, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

I don't know if you enjoy audiobooks, but I listen to them all the time. One such offering very relevant to where you're going is Small Town Talk by Barney Hoskyns.

Bob Dylan
The Band
Van Morrison
Janis Joplin
Jimi Hendrix
& Friends In the Wild Years of Woodstock

Last edited by tinnitus; 08-03-2022 at 06:32 PM.
Old 08-03-2022, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

Are you wanting to visit the town of Woodstock, or the site of the Woodstock Festival in Bethel?

The site has been preserved as The Bethel Woods Center for Performing Arts. There is an amphitheater for modern day performances, plus a museum that details the days of the festival. The actual festival grounds are just down the road, with a monument overlooking the natural amphitheater where the action took place. The outline of where the stage was is still in place, and you can walk around the grounds at your leisure.

More info here: Bethel Woods Center for Performing Arts

We were there for the 50th Anniversary Woodstock celebration. Wifey and I were both too young at the time to even think about making the trek from the deep south to upstate NY (no, we had not met yet), but the event was still a defining moment for us.

So when Wifey got word of the 50th anniversary celebration, we were on for the trip. It was a great time for the three days we were there.

HTH

D
Old 08-03-2022, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

Small Town Talk; who's that guy on the back of Dylan's Triumph?

I loved the book and I learned more about the music history of this area by reading it, than I did from being here for 30 years.

For things to do, it looks like you'll be kept pretty busy by the schedule of your camp and there's not much near you. Woodstock is about 30 miles from you and the first time you see it, it's pretty much a letdown. It's really just a little bend in the road. Music is alive and well again in Woodstock. You can look at Levon's Barn, the Bearsville Theatre, the Coleny Cafe and the Tinder Street Tavern.

If you're hungry as you get close stop at the Phoenicia Diner https://www.phoeniciadiner.com/. It's not you average diner, the food is great and it's right on RT 28 just before you get to Phoenicia and you'll be about 10 miles from the Full Moon Resort.

Your camp sounds fantastic, you're going to have a great time. If you have any specific questions, let me know. I'll try to help.

Last edited by lowrider; 08-04-2022 at 03:56 AM.
Old 08-03-2022, 07:48 PM

I have never been there so i guess i want to have breakfast and buy a few dyr tie tee shirts... wow i used to have that Triumph.
Old 08-03-2022, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
I am going to upstate NY [Catskills] for Martin Taylor and John Knowles guitar Retreat at the end of August, any suggestions about a visit to Wood stock? never been there . Thanks.

Take a walk around Cooper Lake. It’s very lovely. And it’s right there.
Old 08-08-2022, 12:13 PM

I could be misremembering, but i think I read once that the guy on the back of the bike was John Sebastian.
Old 08-08-2022, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroditus View Post
I could be misremembering, but i think I read once that the guy on the back of the bike was John Sebastian.
Yes, good call!

Here's another picture;

Old 08-09-2022, 08:00 AM

I think I read somewhere that Dylan crashed that bike...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic