The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 10-05-2018, 02:20 PM

Default Which Republic Highway 61 tyo buy?

I see that Republic has a Woody body Highway 61 resonator on their website. Any thought on the sound between the metal/steel bodies and this wood body model? Anyone ever tried one? I've seen a YT video, but curious if others have thoughts.

Thx
Old 10-05-2018, 03:11 PM

wood bodies don't bark like a metal body, they have a smoother tone (which I also like). I think they are an easier instrument to crossover to from a standard acoustic guitar, and I love fingerpicking on mine.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:59 AM

I played a Republic wood body guitar, it was not the Hwy61 model though. It did have a mellow tone, very playable, versatile guitar that sounded great playing a variety of styles. Had access to it for about 9 days, couldn't put it down. That was the guitar that made me decide I needed a resonator.

I purchased the Hwy61 brass bodied relic a few years ago, love it, play it regularly. Has what you would expect a "tinnier" sound, probably not as versatile for different styles, but you can certainly play anything on it. String tension seems like it is tighter than the wood body, action is set just slightly high but handles slide well, it is significantly heavier.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments