The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-07-2015, 09:59 AM

Default Recording and practice with your iphone

Hi

Im looking for a software to my iphone to help me record my playing aswell as using different effects such as looper and so on to help me in my guitar training.
I heard about a program called iRig that one can use.

Does anyone heard or know much about this?
Im playing acoustic guitar, will this program help me with my needs?
Old 08-07-2015, 10:42 AM

I use Anytune. Will record, import, display, slow down, loop,change key etc. Costs around $15 and worth every penny.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamburmese View Post
I use Anytune. Will record, import, display, slow down, loop,change key etc. Costs around $15 and worth every penny.
Ty for ur answer, from where did u bought anytune?

And i also like an oppinion on iRig from someone who have used
It.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:49 PM

http://anytune.us/

You can download from the AppStore.

Ain't Nobody's Business:
https://soundcloud.com/vern-equinox/...usiness-but-my
Old 08-07-2015, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random1643 View Post
http://anytune.us/

You can download from the AppStore.
Okey thank you!
What more do i need, a cable going from my guitar to my iphone?
Old 08-07-2015, 08:25 PM

I have Amazing Slow Downer app. I think it was $5.00 from app store. It is very simple: slows things down as much as you want; does looping; stores music. I have it on both iphone and ipad.
Old 09-30-2018, 02:43 AM

Thank you for this recommendation. I'm an Amazing Slow Downer user on the Mac (love it) and was looking for something to quickly record and loop acoustic rhythms since ASD only allows importing something pre-recorded. Found this thread and downloaded the free version of Anytune. After 30 minutes, I upgraded to the paid version more out of respect/gratitude than functionality. (The free version is very good.)

With app + bluetooth speaker, this is perfect!!

I highly recommend this app to anyone else who wants something to use quick on the fly and finds the iphone "memo" useful but too limited.

Also, kudos to the AGF's search capability.
Old 09-30-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklaspetrel View Post
Ty for ur answer, from where did u bought anytune?
Start with their website , anytune.us, and go from there.
Old 09-30-2018, 09:20 AM

With iOS 12 you can set the voice memos app to record in full quality and it will also sync to iCloud where you can access them on iPad or Mac. It’s pretty handy.
Old 09-30-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklaspetrel View Post
Im looking for a software to my iphone to help me record my playing aswell as using different effects such as looper and so on to help me in my guitar training.
I heard about a program called iRig that one can use.
Does anyone heard or know much about this?
Im playing acoustic guitar, will this program help me with my needs?
The IOS app IK Amplitube Acoustic is mainly designed to work with their own iRig Acoustic mic or mic with a preamp (called iRig Acoustic Stage).

I used this app for a while and I think it would be fine for what you're trying to do.
There is a free version of the app which you could try and see if this suits you.
But to take advantage of the looper, you will need to pay extra via in-app purchase.

The app I like on the iPhone is Apple's Music Memo which cleverly adds a bass line and some drums to your guitar recording.
Old 09-30-2018, 11:28 AM

If you use an IOS interface like the iRig (I have the iRig2, which is great) or the Apogee Jam or any other of maybe a dozen interfaces available on Amazon, you can plug directly into an iPhone or iPad and use JamUp by Positive Grid. It's terrific modeling software and even has a useful looper. And you can splurge on a matching bluetooth pedal to boot, if you want (not necessary). They've done a fantastic job. You can even download tones that others have created for free. Very cool. https://www.positivegrid.com/jamup/ And I think there are other programs that provide functionality that is similar to JamUp.

My problem is a lack of patience or energy to overcome inertia in getting things set up and addressing the potential problems that come with added complexity (guitar to interface; interface to iPhone; iPhone to bluetooth speaker). JamUp is great when I get it working and doesn't present the occasional problem to diagnose with my iPhone or the interface or the settings in the program, or distortion and noise in the signal (which is an issue with all of these interfaces... they are aimed mainly at electrics).

So the simpler suggestions of Anytune or mods on the Apple voice memo... good for people like me. No additional interfaces or cables. Just the iPhone's microphone. I just downloaded Apple's free Music Memo, too, and looks very cool. It also assigns chords for whatever you strum or sing (in addition to being able to add drums or a bass line). Had never even heard of it!

Last edited by MChild62; 09-30-2018 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:57 AM

You all will call me crazy, but this works for almost no dollars if you have video editing & recording software. I paid for Corel Video Studio Ultimate because it will do multiple cameras. I also have Ableton Live Lite 9. It came bundled with my Scarlett Solo.

I am a beginning drummer and on the advice of my teacher, I like to record my practices. It's amazing how awful I am when I see what an outsider sees. And it helps me to improve. My wife says I am a bit narcissistic recording myself, but it's effective so i'll ignore her. Sometimes in the recording there is an occasional gem. It's also a huge pain to setup multiple mics, but I do still do that for covers. I did my first one last week and it' turned out pretty good. My wife liked it and my drum teacher was impressed. He should be, he's a great teacher. It's on my YouTube page.

I discovered this Rube Goldberg process quite by accident. It works with both my iPhone and GoPro files.

Note: I typically use the GoPro over the iphone because it will record a longer time. But It works for Iphone too.

And how here is how it works for me.

Record with iPhone (or GoPro or any camera with a built in mic)
Import video from iPhone into Corel Video Studio and onto the Time Line.
Generate an audio only WAV file using the SHARE function in VS. VS will extract out.

Start Ableton and drop the WAV file into an empty audio track
Using the audio effects plug-ins, manipulate the file with Compression, EQ and Reverb to taste.

I pretty much just use Comp and Eq. You have to play around the many choices to get the results you want.

The results are amazing relative to a raw audio file from an Iphone or GoPro mic.

Export with MASTER to a new WAV file. I use the 192K sampling and 24k bit depth.

Save and close Ableton and go back to VS

Import the new WAV file onto the MUSIC track on the timeline. If you do not cut video or audio clips they will line up.

Double check wave forms using the Audio function in VS. It will display the wave patters for the original video and the audio track.

Use the zoom tool to make sure they match.

Mute the audio on the video track

Export using the SHARE function to a what ever media type that floats your boat. I use WMV. It will do MPG4 too.

Once you do this a couple of times and develop a workflow. It takes less then 30 mins to process from start to finish.

Give it a try. It truly is the most low budget way of making decent sounding video recording. And if you find other apps for free on the webs that do the same things as Corel Video Studio and Ableton, than it costs nothing but time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD