The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-28-2018, 07:55 AM

Default Banner J-45 bracing

I recently acquired a 1945 j-45. It sounds gorgeous, but it has a fairly substantial belly. When under string tension, I press behind the bridge and hear creaking. There is also a slight buzzing near the bridge when playing further up the neck, particularly on the D string. This leads me to think there may be separation between the top and it’s bracing. Does that sound like a good diagnosis?
Old 09-28-2018, 09:24 AM

yes- hopefully at this point you've slacked all the strings off, or removed them completely. If you're fairly handy, you can use an inspection mirror and flashlight to nose around inside. OR, just use your smartphone camera if you have one. Definitely get it checked out before re-stringing it.
Old 09-28-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
yes- hopefully at this point you've slacked all the strings off, or removed them completely. If you're fairly handy, you can use an inspection mirror and flashlight to nose around inside. OR, just use your smartphone camera if you have one. Definitely get it checked out before re-stringing it.
Yes, I’ve removed the strings. I’ll be checking the inside with a mirror later today. If the bracing does need to be re-glued, is that as as simple as glueing, applying pressure from inside as well as out side to push the top down onto the bracing? I’m fairly handy and would like to do the repair myself.
Old 09-28-2018, 11:16 AM

While I can sympathize with you on your desire to do the work yourself, I would advise against it. Like you, I like doing things myself - in fact I have built several guitars, and love doing so. And also like you I have a vintage Gibson, a 1954 J45. I would not think of doing anything like that on my Gibson. Not because I don't think I could, but because of the value of the guitar. In vintage repairs, there is a different set of guidelines to follow. It isn't just 'making a repair' but also maintaining the originality of the guitar. It's not just 're-gluing a brace', but using the correct glue, making sure to keep things clean, and maybe even matching the glue squeeze-out from the original build. I would take it to someone with experience in vintage Gibson's if possible. There may be more to it than just a loose brace.
Old 09-28-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
While I can sympathize with you on your desire to do the work yourself, I would advise against it. Like you, I like doing things myself - in fact I have built several guitars, and love doing so. And also like you I have a vintage Gibson, a 1954 J45. I would not think of doing anything like that on my Gibson. Not because I don't think I could, but because of the value of the guitar. In vintage repairs, there is a different set of guidelines to follow. It isn't just 'making a repair' but also maintaining the originality of the guitar. It's not just 're-gluing a brace', but using the correct glue, making sure to keep things clean, and maybe even matching the glue squeeze-out from the original build. I would take it to someone with experience in vintage Gibson's if possible. There may be more to it than just a loose brace.
I agree with you for the most part. Fortunately and unfortunately, this is no collector’s piece. It has many cracks of all sizes and multiple not-so-aesthetic repairs. Some of the back braces appear to have been sloppily re-glued in the past. All that’s to say that not matching the vintage squeeze out is not terribly crucial at this point haha
Old 10-01-2018, 09:33 AM

Please allow me to re-phrase my answer. A guitar that has survived 70 years of life deserves to get at least a good once over by a qualified Luthier or repairman. Forget about the value of it, think about the good karma that guitar has earned through its long years of making music.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Please allow me to re-phrase my answer. A guitar that has survived 70 years of life deserves to get at least a good once over by a qualified Luthier or repairman. Forget about the value of it, think about the good karma that guitar has earned through its long years of making music.
If I had a guitar that nice and valuable I'd take it to a pro.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:04 PM

Any guitar regardless of condition deserves respect for its age, let alone a J45

Here is a photo for interest.

This was previously repaired by two luthiers and the customer still had issues, Mmm wonder why...

After I removed the bracings, that is what i found photo no 2

Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 10-03-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
Any guitar regardless of condition deserves respect for its age, let alone a J45

Here is a photo for interest.

This was previously repaired by two luthiers and the customer still had issues, Mmm wonder why...

After I removed the bracings, that is what i found photo no 2

Nice-extra soundhole for extra tone!
Old 10-03-2018, 09:50 AM

So I’m going to be heading through Nashville this Saturday, and I’m planning to leave it with one of the repair shops there. Any recommendations for a competent outfit that can reflux a couple of braces and cleat two small soundhole cracks without taking 6 months to do the work?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair