The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-19-2024, 07:44 AM

Default Best Vocal Processor or Channel Strip options for Singers (no harmonies needed)

Hey all, I play solo and with a band through a single or pair of Evolve 50Ms. My guitar chains have amazing tone and most of the inputs are utility but my vocal channel is lacking. I am not a fan of the onboard EQ/compression/effects and have thought of outboard gear for the vocal input. I have someone that sings backup/harmony and the processor based harmonies and weird effects are not anything I will ever use. I just want EQ/Compression and a strip that can smooth out/add body (pitch correction is interesting but not needed). I do want great reverb/mild delay-echo at times.

I know all the TC VoiceLive/Boss VE-500 options are well regarded but also seem overkill. Mic Mechanic seems great but lacks in EQ. Maybe that is just what vocal processors are these days but I am also considering a dedicated preamp/strip + effect to get that one great vocal input (I could use it in the studio also I guess).

What do folks use/recommend for basic vocals.
Old 03-19-2024, 03:46 PM

Have you tried different mics? For my vocals, I like the tone I can get from my signal knob compression and 3 band EQ with my Yamaha MG10XU. I run the no. 11 delay with the parameter knob set at about 10 o'clock and the gain return about 3/8 of the way up. It adds a little bit of fullness to the vocal. I use many different mics and can usually dial up a really good sound.

I know it's not a single channel strip, but it works for me.
Old 03-22-2024, 05:31 PM

Have you experimented with the channel presets? I like the high pass 120Hz one best, but there is also, an 80Hz (which I like on acoustic guitar), vocal mic, and vocal filter presets.
Old 03-22-2024, 09:21 PM

TC Helicon Mic Mechanic is the way to go. I suspect you won't need much more than that. Give it a try. Someone you know must have one. :-)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification