The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-21-2024, 03:27 PM

Smile ToneDexter 2 delay

I'm in the UK and have a TD1 and love it.
I ordered the TD2 28th Dec. 2023 and have been informed again by Thomann UK that it is delayed yet again to the 29th March. Delivery was initially 3-4 weeks from date of order which was fine at the time. Its now three months.

However the Audio Sprockets website says that its available now.

What's going on Audio Sprockets folks??

Can you kindly give a realistic and achievable delivery date please?

I'm really looking forward to the TD2 - it does loads that I wanted in the TD1 and a lot more! (e.g. MIDI translation table - brilliant, makes life easier. Other manufacturers dont have that - I'm looking at you guys Strymon and Neunaber.)
The new TD2 is a game-changer, even more so than the TD1.

So why the delay?
Component availability? Change in spec of components? Design issues? Software Bugs? Ukraine? China?

Seriously though I'd really like to know.
Good comms are vital for happy customers!

Cheers, Colin
Old 02-21-2024, 04:40 PM

Why don't you ask Thomann?

Seems like you are shaking the wrong tree.

Many people have received theirs weeks ago. Sounds like a Thomann issue.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 02-21-2024, 05:05 PM
AGF Sponsor

Fair question. Here's what's going on:

We ran out of our first run in January, just a few weeks after starting shipping. The demand was much higher than anticipated.

The next run is due to ship out 1st week in March from the factory, restocking dealers like Thomann, Sweetwater, and the others. The next, next run is scheduled for April, so we are hoping not to experience another dry market spell.

We don't have any stock for direct sales. If our website says that, it is in error. We give our dealers preference.

I hope that helps, and sorry for the frustration and delay.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 02-21-2024, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

Anyone wanting insight into the problems of introducing a new product should watch the JHS pedal companies videos on the Notaklon, a pedal Klon clone in kit form for $100 direct from JHS. They made 75,000 of them. They sold out in something like two days. To say their minds were blown is an understatement. It is no small feat to call all their suppliers for another 75,000 units worth of switches, pots, circuit boards, and enclosures. Josh had to make an apologetic video with new shipment dates. He sent certificates to those giving them as Christmas gifts. Sometimes you can be too successful and what you envision as double your need can be half instead.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 02-21-2024, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Anyone wanting insight into the problems of introducing a new product should watch the JHS pedal companies videos on the Notaklon, a pedal Klon clone in kit form for $100 direct from JHS. They made 75,000 of them. They sold out in something like two days. To say their minds were blown is an understatement. It is no small feat to call all their suppliers for another 75,000 units worth of switches, pots, circuit boards, and enclosures. Josh had to make an apologetic video with new shipment dates. He sent certificates to those giving them as Christmas gifts. Sometimes you can be too successful and what you envision as double your need can be half instead.
I saw that as well. My only issue is that they must have had some idea it would be a massive hit if they made 75,000 units? I mean in the pedal industry, that's an insane amount to produce for a first run.
Old 02-22-2024, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
Fair question. Here's what's going on:

We ran out of our first run in January, just a few weeks after starting shipping. The demand was much higher than anticipated.

The next run is due to ship out 1st week in March from the factory, restocking dealers like Thomann, Sweetwater, and the others. The next, next run is scheduled for April, so we are hoping not to experience another dry market spell.

We don't have any stock for direct sales. If our website says that, it is in error. We give our dealers preference.

I hope that helps, and sorry for the frustration and delay.
Hi James,

Many thanks for your clear, open and informative reply sir.

It must be frustrating to not be able to fulfil all the orders right away. I cant say I'm surprised with the demand though.

I do appreciate the challenges of being a small manufacturer, as having more units built is not like flipping a switch, and the leverage a small manufacturer has with suppliers is a LOT less than the likes of, say, Phillips, making millions of TVs.

Gordon Currie -
With the statement I received from Thomann -
Please accept our apologies for the delayed delivery. We base our likely delivery dates exclusively on information from suppliers or manufacturers. We pass on this information conditionally on their good faith. Of course, we are in continuous contact with the supplier/manufacturer, and we are working on getting your order to you as quickly as possible.

Unfortunately this wasn't congruent with the "Available Now" statement on the Audio Sprockets website.
Subsequently I felt it best to post on the AG forum as I know the ToneDexter guys respond promptly here.
Now thats' good Customer Support!

Thanks again James, and all the best.

Cheers, Colin
Old 03-18-2024, 02:09 AM

Default ToneDexter 2 delay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voxbox30 View Post
Hi James,

Many thanks for your clear, open and informative reply sir.

It must be frustrating to not be able to fulfil all the orders right away. I cant say I'm surprised with the demand though.

I do appreciate the challenges of being a small manufacturer, as having more units built is not like flipping a switch, and the leverage a small manufacturer has with suppliers is a LOT less than the likes of, say, Phillips, making millions of TVs.

Gordon Currie -

With the statement I received from Thomann -

Please accept our apologies for the delayed delivery. We base our likely delivery dates exclusively on information from suppliers or manufacturers. We pass on this information conditionally on their good faith. Of course, we are in continuous contact with the supplier/manufacturer, and we are working on getting your order to you as quickly as possible.

Unfortunately this wasn't congruent with the "Available Now" statement on the Audio Sprockets website.

Subsequently I felt it best to post on the AG forum as I know the ToneDexter guys respond promptly here.

Now thats' good Customer Support!

Thanks again James, and all the best.

Cheers, Colin

Ach. Thomann have advised a 6 week delay to 29th April. [emoji849]

Last edited by Voxbox30; 03-18-2024 at 03:23 AM.
Old 03-18-2024, 11:07 AM
AGF Sponsor

Due to a factory glitch with ordering a needed part in time, the run of units that was supposed to ship early March will now ship 1st week of April. These component availability issues can be a royal pain, gray hair producing (not that you'd notice on me), and nausea inducing.

Sincere apologies, we're doing our best and it should be smooth(er) sailing after this.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 03-18-2024, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
Due to a factory glitch with ordering a needed part in time, the run of units that was supposed to ship early March will now ship 1st week of April. These component availability issues can be a royal pain, gray hair producing (not that you'd notice on me), and nausea inducing.

Sincere apologies, we're doing our best and it should be smooth(er) sailing after this.

Completely appreciate that James. It’s maddening being at the mercy of suppliers. I’m sure you’ll get there. At least I have the TD1 to get by with[emoji6]
Many thanks for your open and honest reply sir.
It makes Audio Sprockets a pleasure to deal with.
Cheers, Colin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification