The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-20-2022, 04:21 PM

Default Compressor pedal for acoustic for live playing?

Was wondering what people are using for a compressor pedal for acoustic. I was thinking about trying something new. I've been using the TC Electronics Body Rez but feel like it's kind of artificial sounding.

Some searches on Youtube recommended the Wampler Mini Ego and the Mooer Yellow Compressor.

Are any of these any good? Looking for something that works but doesn't kill the natural tone of the instrument.

Also should the compressor be first in my pedal chain or does it matter?
Old 03-20-2022, 07:23 PM

Wampler is a good choice - I have the full size version as I wanted more control over the tone but I actually could work with the mini as well. Key is to get a good compressor as you pretty much get what you pay for. I find a parallel compressor to be key as I like to have some unaffected signal getting through.

As for where in the chain, different people have different opinions. I put it early in the chain so the rest of my pedals are seeing a compressed signal. I’ve also run it last to tighten up things before hitting the amp. No single right answer, your ears and fingers will tell you.

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 03-20-2022, 08:29 PM

I think the LR Baggs Align Session is fantastic for acoustic. A close second for me is the Xotic SP compressor. Ideally, EQ comes before compression to make the compressor’s job easier.
Old 03-20-2022, 10:33 PM

Unless you want a compressor coloring the acoustic sound like it does for telecaster and chicken picking, you want a trasparent unit .
Empress is excellent, Becos is perfect, origin effect is excellent too. These are all top compressors , maybe there are other.
On the opposite, align session by lr baggs is awful, it isndramatically changing the eq. Same as boss digital compressor cp1x which BTW is the same inside boss ad10 .
I have them all.
Using empress on a pedalboard, becos on the other.
Eventually I could use boss cp1x but I have removed the baggs align session pedal, it is only spoiling my good sound.
Old 03-21-2022, 05:01 AM

I have the full size Ego and it’s a great compressor but I wouldn’t say it is completely transparent. I find my unit colours the sound a bit but not in an undesirable way, I like the result when using it with my electric setup. To be fair though, I’ve never used it with my acoustics…

I have the Carl Martin Compressor-Limiter which is an excellent pedal (I have the older version with the built in power supply). This unit is extremely transparent and a powerful compressor. At the moment I am planning on using it with my bass setup but it works great with the acoustics too (though I usually use the comp on the audio mixer when playing acoustic).
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 03-21-2022, 05:16 AM

An optical compressor works best for acoustic for a natural, uncolored sound. I use the XTS Fermata for boosting solos.
Old 03-21-2022, 05:19 AM
Charter Member

All compressors tend to sound artificial if signal is squashed too much.

From time to time I'll use a compressor on acoustic, Carl Martin Optocomp. But only when playing with a band.

For solo work, I like the simplicity, and the full range of dynamics I get just through a good DI.
Old 03-21-2022, 06:42 AM

maybe this sounds laughable,, but I'm using a Berhinger compressor that's simply a Boss knock off.

Believe it or not for live work - it does do the job. I use it with a Trio, we do a set of acoustic stuff, and for 25 bucks, if it aint broke, I aint gonna fix it.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 03-21-2022, 10:37 AM

To complicate matters, compressors get used for different reasons. For some it is taming peaks, evening out dynamics, and/ or dealing with room or instrument issues. For instance I found the ES-N in a nylon Taylor to be somewhat uneven, and a tendency for loud/harsh B and E. A good comp can wrangle that but there is no free lunch.

The most transparent and effective pedal compressor I’ve used is an FEA Labs dual band. Have two different bands to tweak and an adjustable crossover point makes for a great tool.

Other people use comp as a tone enhancer - they want the coloration it provides as it can thicken in the right places and generally warm things up. It also can provide a bit of tube amp feel, somewhat replicating sag.

And it can be an effect, with pumping/squishing as a desired artifact. If you’re going for “natural” or transparent, using a unit that is parallel (will have a mix or equivalent control) helps a lot. You have too get into pricey territory to get really neutral units IME, but neutral is just one end goal.

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 03-21-2022, 10:49 AM

The last time I toyed with the idea of putting a compressor on my acoustic I was very keen to try the TC SpectraComp. I never got round to it but I'm sure the itch will return:

SpectraComp on Thomann

Looks like:

Incredibly flexible
Multiband
Once programmed simple interface when using in anger
Small
Old 03-21-2022, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
maybe this sounds laughable,, but I'm using a Berhinger compressor that's simply a Boss knock off.
Not at all. There is no best or worst… only what works for each individual. That’s why every what is “best” thread is accompanied by dozens of completely different answers. Those are what people have purchased and, what works for them. When used lightly, or minimally, most will work fine - if that’s the sound one wants. I try not to add anything that I don’t get from the guitar I amplified because I’m looking to ONLY amplify the natural sound of the guitar, not change it.
Old 03-21-2022, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollingsPicker View Post
Not at all. There is no best or worst… only what works for each individual. That’s why every what is “best” thread is accompanied by dozens of completely different answers. Those are what people have purchased and, what works for them. When used lightly, or minimally, most will work fine - if that’s the sound one wants. I try not to add anything that I don’t get from the guitar I amplified because I’m looking to ONLY amplify the natural sound of the guitar, not change it.
That's pretty much the reality I guess.

Set for unity on the level, so it's not boosting or cutting levels, while adding enough compression to tame to peaks with aggressive stumming patterns with a (medium) pick, and it helps to push up the floor a little bit for finger picking

I have a few far more expensive compressors but I picked up this one just for this application.

Same with a 7 band eq, I'd prefer a Boss or MXR, as they are far better built but the wee little $25 berhinger units do what's needed. (Until it doesn't.. then I'm only out 25 bucks! )

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 03-25-2022, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

I fell prey to compressor GAS for a few years and experimented with the Jackson Audio Blossom, LR Baggs Align, Exotic XP, and the Wampler Mini. I sold all of them except the Wampler Mini because I liked the color of it the best. That said, I used to play my acoustic through a rack mounted Roland GP-100 and it had a digital compressor that was really, really good.
Old 03-30-2022, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

I don't use a compressor on my acoustic guitars, but I do have that option with the Bose T1 mixer I use...

But, a buddy of mine does use one, and he swears by the old-school small MXR compressor unit - I think that Dunlop makes them now. They're fairly inexpensive and very simple; a lot of slide players use them.

This, if you don't feel the need to get all fancy and expensive!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 04-06-2022, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe.Manganese View Post
Unless you want a compressor coloring the acoustic sound like it does for telecaster and chicken picking, you want a trasparent unit .
Empress is excellent, Becos is perfect, origin effect is excellent too. These are all top compressors , maybe there are other.
On the opposite, align session by lr baggs is awful, it isndramatically changing the eq. Same as boss digital compressor cp1x which BTW is the same inside boss ad10 .
I have them all.
Using empress on a pedalboard, becos on the other.
Eventually I could use boss cp1x but I have removed the baggs align session pedal, it is only spoiling my good sound.
Yeah, I had the LR Baggs Align for a while. I liked it initially and then something about it started to turn me off with the sound.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
compressor, effects pedals, pedal order, pedals