The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-18-2020, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I did look. (I don't own one, just contend with them on occasion). Yep, there's a knob that controls the TS 1/4" output, and there's a switch that will allow that knob to control the XLR-out level in tandem.

Good to know. And it might also be good to know what setting on that knob will put your Tonedexter's output in the DI-friendly zone.
By default, that switch is off, so XLR output will be at full volume. Don't ask me how I found out!

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 05-18-2020, 06:38 PM

I had the same thing happen once with a showcase host who is a musician but not audio equipment savvy.

Once I showed him where the mic/line switch was and to set it to LINE, all was good.

I've never had that happen with a pro sound person. Yet.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 05-18-2020, 07:00 PM
AGF Sponsor

Personally, when performing and not also being the sound guy, I always ask the sound person if they want mic or line level on the XLR. Depending on what they say, I know what to give them. In the case of a them giving me a blank stare, I will automatically turn the level down to mic level.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 05-18-2020, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
In the case of a them giving me a blank stare...
Uh-oh!

(padding for minimum message length!)

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium

Last edited by phcorrigan; 05-18-2020 at 09:12 PM.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Most mic preamps and mixers have a -20 dB pad. That's the same circuit that is missing in the Tonedexter for its DI out.
The only pad I've ever seen on a mixer is a channel INPUT pad. This was originally done to allow a mixer to accept a variety of signals. You would use the pad any time you had an instrument level signal (hotter than mic level and lower than 'true' line level).

Where have you seen a pad on the OUTPUT?

2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 05-18-2020, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
Personally, when performing and not also being the sound guy, I always ask the sound person if they want mic or line level on the XLR. Depending on what they say, I know what to give them. In the case of a them giving me a blank stare, I will automatically turn the level down to mic level.
This is sage advice.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
My Grace Alix has one. It's labeled "DI output line/mic level select". But that's what it is.

Edited to add: Oh, maybe you are referring to a pad on a mixer output. Nope, never seen that.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
My Grace Alix has one. It's labeled "DI output line/mic level select". But that's what it is.

Edited to add: Oh, maybe you are referring to a pad on a mixer output. Nope, never seen that.
The switch on the Alix is exactly what I was wishing other manufacturers would supply.
Old 05-19-2020, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
They don't call it that; you'll see a Mic/Line level switch. But the Mic position shunts the signal through a pad.

Couch Standards
Old 05-19-2020, 05:08 AM

Like said above the Grace stuff has the
line/mic level switch.
My felix is set to mic.
Which is what the board likes.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
They don't call it that; you'll see a Mic/Line level switch. But the Mic position shunts the signal through a pad.
Any piece of gear that has an output level control could also be said to have a (variable) pad.
In fact, ToneDexter could be said to have an output pad - just not switchable between two values.

I was referring to mixers in my original response. I've never seen an output pad on a mixer (unless we define the main output level pots as pads).

2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Old 05-19-2020, 11:09 PM
Charter Member

One way to solve the problem of the sound folks not being able to cope on their end, is to slip a line attenuator before the XLR cable - https://hosatech.com/products/analog...pters/att-448/
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar
Old 05-20-2020, 05:31 AM

I've gigged far and wide and never had a sound engineer say that an input is too hot. Any decent board has a trim control for input. This combination with the volume knob/slider can put you at zero output. Studio's need mic preamps to boost the signal up. This is the sound engineers problem, not the Tonedexter.
Old 05-20-2020, 10:25 AM

Do you have access to a mixing board that has PFL Solo capability?

If so, set up your rig and plug it into a mic input and set the input gain to 0.
PFL Solo that channel to the meter and you will have your signal level displayed as you play. Adjust your rig accordingly. Now you know your signal level is good.

If sound guy says you are too hot on his setup tell him to set your input gain at 0. What he really saying is that your signal is too hot compared to the other mic channels he is looking at such as passive mics that he has to set the input gain way high on or a bandmate with a puny signal level that he must crank the gain on.

A decent mixing board will have an input gain setting. Powered mixers used at many small venues do not. They have a dial labeled "Level" and a button that says "Pad". Pad lowers the input gain a predetermined amount which may or may not help.

I played a gig last year where the sound guy told me that my rig through a Grace Felix was too hot. I went to talk to him (look at the mixer) and he had all the input gains set at 12 noon. He didn't know their function and had been told to put them like that by the guy that trained him!
Old 05-20-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandowilli View Post
Do you have access to a mixing board that has PFL Solo capability?

If so, set up your rig and plug it into a mic input and set the input gain to 0.
PFL Solo that channel to the meter and you will have your signal level displayed as you play. Adjust your rig accordingly. Now you know your signal level is good.

If sound guy says you are too hot on his setup tell him to set your input gain at 0. What he really saying is that your signal is too hot compared to the other mic channels he is looking at such as passive mics that he has to set the input gain way high on or a bandmate with a puny signal level that he must crank the gain on.

A decent mixing board will have an input gain setting. Powered mixers used at many small venues do not. They have a dial labeled "Level" and a button that says "Pad". Pad lowers the input gain a predetermined amount which may or may not help.

I played a gig last year where the sound guy told me that my rig through a Grace Felix was too hot. I went to talk to him (look at the mixer) and he had all the input gains set at 12 noon. He didn't know their function and had been told to put them like that by the guy that trained him!
Definitely not always the case but if I am playing a bar where my band is making $300-400 for the night, chances are the sound tech is not the best there is out there. I too have run into this issue. Honestly my first thought to a hot signal as a sound man would be to check the input gain on the channel as well as ask about the mic/line level setting on the pedal. It's definitely odd how many sound techs don't do this and just ask for the di/preamp to be turned down.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification