The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-02-2020, 04:13 PM

Default Fishman Enhance transducer

Hi all,

In one of my guitars I am currently running a standard Fishman Matrix Infinity VT into the Spectrum Aura DI. It's kind of my choice whenever I just want a good tone with little work on stage. I do like this combination but I do find that the Matrix on its own can sound a bit harsh and once I blend in some of the image, even at 40%, the tone thins out even more. I have always wanted a second source to blend in to get some more body/fullness. The addition of a SBT type of pickup has always been intriguing.

Anyway, Fishman just released the PowerTap Infinity which looks to be the same as the Matrix VT Enhance. This would give me the Matrix + SBT (Enhance) without having to do any modifications. I have listened to some demos and the Enhance really seems to bring in some nice low end and it really seems to fill out the tone. I am just wondering how others have liked the Enhance transducer?

I have done some reading on the PowerTap Infinity and the cool thing with this system is that the endpin can be used in a mono or stereo configuration, you just need the correct cable. If I use it in stereo, I could put the aura spectrum in my effects loop and only blend it in with the Matrix and I would basically have the Aura VT Enhance. I am tempted to get this system but thought I would ask others about their experiences with the Enhance.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:56 AM

Nevermind, I just received an email from Fishman and apparently the PowerTap is different than the VT Enhance even though it uses the same pickups. The Enhance is also super glued in so if that's the case, I would rather go for the K&K.
Old 06-03-2020, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Nevermind, I just received an email from Fishman and apparently the PowerTap is different than the VT Enhance even though it uses the same pickups. The Enhance is also super glued in so if that's the case, I would rather go for the K&K.
The enhance is much easier to remove than the K&K and I thought they were the same pickup with a new name.
Old 06-03-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
The enhance is much easier to remove than the K&K and I thought they were the same pickup with a new name.
Interesting you mentioned that because the Enhance does sounds a lot like the K&K. Not sure why it would be easier to remove though? I mean I guess it's one piece but it still uses super glue. I was a bit disappointed when I heard that because the Fishman Power Tap manual made it sound as though the transducer had adhesive on it but superglue can be used to secure it further. According to the Fishman rep, super glue has to be used.

I will say though that he was a bit confusing. Here's what the manual says:

Peel off backing paper and add 3 small drops of Gel Type Cyanoacrylate (Super Glue) One in the center and ½” in from each end of the sensor.

This leads me to believe that there is adhesive but the super glue is just an added method to secure the transducer.

Here's what the Fishman employee told me:

"The super glue is needed to mount the bridge plate. This is needed because the pickup needs something to mount to. If you mount the pickup direct to the wood and need to remove it for some reason you will damage both the guitar and the pickup trying to remove it. This is why we have the plate. The plate also allows for the best possible instillation."

Maybe it's just me but I find that confusing. I am not sure what he means by "the plate".
Old 06-05-2020, 08:13 AM

I have a guitar with the Matrix Enhance pickup and the Enhance part is worthless while using the Aura with it. I turn it off completely otherwise the combination of the enhance and the Aura image makes it sound too airy and disconnected. The Enhance adds a lot of high end which I don't care for. I turn it on momentarily to tap out a beat on my guitar, which it does work great for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Hi all,

In one of my guitars I am currently running a standard Fishman Matrix Infinity VT into the Spectrum Aura DI. It's kind of my choice whenever I just want a good tone with little work on stage. I do like this combination but I do find that the Matrix on its own can sound a bit harsh and once I blend in some of the image, even at 40%, the tone thins out even more. I have always wanted a second source to blend in to get some more body/fullness. The addition of a SBT type of pickup has always been intriguing.

Anyway, Fishman just released the PowerTap Infinity which looks to be the same as the Matrix VT Enhance. This would give me the Matrix + SBT (Enhance) without having to do any modifications. I have listened to some demos and the Enhance really seems to bring in some nice low end and it really seems to fill out the tone. I am just wondering how others have liked the Enhance transducer?

I have done some reading on the PowerTap Infinity and the cool thing with this system is that the endpin can be used in a mono or stereo configuration, you just need the correct cable. If I use it in stereo, I could put the aura spectrum in my effects loop and only blend it in with the Matrix and I would basically have the Aura VT Enhance. I am tempted to get this system but thought I would ask others about their experiences with the Enhance.
Old 06-05-2020, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
I have a guitar with the Matrix Enhance pickup and the Enhance part is worthless while using the Aura with it. I turn it off completely otherwise the combination of the enhance and the Aura image makes it sound too airy and disconnected. The Enhance adds a lot of high end which I don't care for. I turn it on momentarily to tap out a beat on my guitar, which it does work great for.
Yeah I kind of passed on it after finding out that the Enhance needs to be glued in and that the PowerTap is not the same as the VT Enhance. I have been trying to make my Matrix/Aura spectrum set up work but I find the images often sound so hi-fi that they thin out my tone, which isn’t all that warm and big to begin with. I am close to writing off UST pickups. Live the set up works fairly well but when I test at home, the Matrix just sounds harsh and thin. The Tonedexter definitely has a far more natural tone.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification