The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-16-2019, 01:44 PM

Default NGD Larrivee OM-03- UPDATED with Sound Clip

(I added a sound clip to the original post 6.18.19)

I got my new Larrivee Monday night, but due to a jam packed week of work and evening activities with the family, I was only able to play her a bit here and there…until Friday. I got off work early and was able to really put her through her paces…and I just kept smiling and smiling. I fell in love with the tone of Larrivee Guitars (and specifically their spruce/mahogany models) about 6 years ago while on vacation in the NC mountains (a visit to the Acoustic Corner did me in). I purchased an L03 that was great, but I passed it on to a younger guitarist at our church at the time. A short while later, I bought the OM-40. I would still have that one, but after leaving my job in NC and transitioning to OK, I sold it to a friend as I couldn’t justify two guitars. At the time, I had an amazing D18 and the OM-40, and I kept the Martin.

Since then, I have moved the Martin on for personal reasons. Last fall I picked up an Eastman E1OM as my only guitar, and while I loved the smaller body shape of the OM, the Eastman neck was giving my left arm fits (pain in the wrist and elbow), and I found it excelled at finger style, but was lacking something when strummed. I wasn’t sure what I was going to do. I was playing all the 000/OM bodies I could find locally, but nothing was striking me in my price range.

I began to kick around the idea of getting a Larrivee again, and was pretty sure I was going to get another OM-40. That is, I was sure until Shoreline Music announced his moving sale. When I saw the price John had on an OM-03, I called my wife to be sure she was cool with it, and I pulled the trigger. I was nervous that the standard Larrivee might not move me the way the OM-40 had, but boy, was I wrong. Joyfully wrong.

Pure.

Larrivee.

Goodness!

Balance, warmth, tone, clarity, punch, feel, craftsmanship, simplicity, beauty. All the things I remembered flooded back in.

The neck on this one has the newer standard 16’ radius, which immediately felt more familiar to my hands than the former compound radius; does not feel "flat" on the fingerboard or the back. The neck shape and wider fingerboard fit me better too (no wrist/elbow pain at all!). I’ve found that even though the Eastman and the Larrivee have the same nut width of 1 3/4, the Larrivee is much roomier. I had trouble fretting a clean “A” in first position on the Eastman…no such problems with the Larrivee. The 2 1/4 spacing at the saddle is nice and roomy, too.

The bass is powerful and full. If it differs at all from the OM-40, my memory can’t tell it! It excels at finger style…just so balanced and clear! And this little boss gives up nothing when strummed! Just tickles me to get to play anything on it!

It’s hard for me to quantify the Larrivee tone, but there is something in the way they build that just clicks every good thing in my brain, especially in mahogany. I know some folks don’t care for the tone, but dang, I love it. Out of all my fits of GAS induced selling, the Larrivee’s I’ve owned are the only ones that didn’t go away for “the quest for tone.” Whatever they have, I like it!

So I sold the Eastman E1OM to a gentlemen locally, and I’m moving the AC320 I had as well. I’ve come to realize I just prefer the feel/tone of the OM, and this OM-03 has it for me. I’ve owned a lot of instruments the past few years, but Larrivee mahogany OMs have come to feel like “home.”

And it’s good to be home!

Last edited by Treenewt; 06-18-2019 at 12:12 PM.
Old 06-16-2019, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

Beautiful! That’s a great guitar purchased from a class act, John & Shoreline. Congratulations.
Old 06-16-2019, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

IMHO, Larrivee Guitars are the smile-priced, boutique-maker of the mainstream guitar brands. Enjoy!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 06-16-2019, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Good for you. Glad you found your way home.
Old 06-16-2019, 02:35 PM

Congrats on a very nice guitar. (Like that capo too) Larrivees are my kind of guitar. I just need to get a nice L-03, and I'll be a happy camper.
Hmmm, maybe I need to look at an OM-03?

Last edited by Rockysdad; 06-16-2019 at 03:22 PM.
Old 06-16-2019, 02:40 PM

What a beauty.
Old 06-16-2019, 02:40 PM

Love the photos! What craftsmanship. Sounds like you found your match!

Old 06-16-2019, 03:03 PM

Congratulations. I have a 1998 Larrivée OM-03W in black walnut that I bought new, and as it happens I took it to play music at a gathering yesterday. I hadn't played it in a while but doing so yesterday reminded me of why I bought it in the first place: it just sounds great and plays like a dream.

So count me in as another serious Larrivée fan in general, and as a fan of their OM's in particular.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 06-16-2019, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

Beautiful guitar!
Old 06-16-2019, 04:13 PM

Thanks all! I’m quite smitten with this one!
Old 06-16-2019, 04:41 PM

Great guitar. You can feel the quality and workmanship in your hands.

I have one of the last OM-03's made in Canada. I may sell and buy other guitars now and then but this one is staying put.
Alvarez AF60SHB
Seagull Concert Hall Mahogany
Harmony H1215. 1953
An 80 year old Kay (approx)
Epiphone ES-339
Epiphone Les Paul 50's Standard
3 home built Strat's
Old 06-16-2019, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

Gorgeous! I’m a fan as well. I’ve owned a few Larrivees with the OM-05E being my absolute favorite model. I agree with the others...while they may be budget friendly, they’re remarkably built guitars. Outstanding tone and excellent fit and finish. IMHO they’re HUGELY overlooked and underrated.

Excellent choice Sir! Enjoy.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:12 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on the Larrivee, enjoy it.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:27 PM

Larrivee makes a great guitar!
their Om models ring out better than most Oms
Im a dread guy , thats why I bought a D03
but you cannot lose with a Larrivee
congrats
Dave
Old 06-16-2019, 06:44 PM

I love my OM03. Mine is Canadian built, and I have always liked the neck.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion