The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-09-2016, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

Default Emerald 7 pickup-some questions for owners/users

digging this green alot:
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=429043

owners, how well do you like the B Band pickup?
plus and minus features please.

i typically only want/need acoustic factors, but if i order one, why not get the pickup-looks small, looks nice by photo. rarely plug in.

anyone using a K&K on a &, likes/dislikes?

thanks
d
Old 05-09-2016, 05:57 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I am by no means overly knowledgeable in guitar electronics, but personally, I would never buy a guitar with barn door electronics. There are just too many good present and emerging electonics options that don't require large holes in the side of a guitar. Many seem to like the K&K mini. I have a Baggs Anthem in my 814ce and a Baggs Lyric in my Emerald Chimaera. I like them both. Whatever you decide, unless you're adept at installing yourself, I would have Alistair do it.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:27 PM
Guest 928

I eliminated the B-band in my X10N, in favor of a K&K. The B-band was OK, but over time I realized that I really didn't need the eq features and I really hated the battery hassle. I have the K&K in my Rainsong parlor and in my X10-OSN. I also had the K&K in my CA/Peavey Cargo. I like the K&K.

I like that the B-band had tuner and volume controls, but the mini-tuners work just fine for me and a volume cord takes care of on-board sound level.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I eliminated the B-band in my X10N, in favor of a K&K. The B-band was OK, but over time I realized that I really didn't need the eq features and I really hated the battery hassle. I have the K&K in my Rainsong parlor and in my X10-OSN. I also had the K&K in my CA/Peavey Cargo. I like the K&K.

I like that the B-band had tuner and volume controls, but the mini-tuners work just fine for me and a volume cord takes care of on-board sound level.
Evan
is the Pure Mini what you have?
with no soundhole controls-correct?

d
Old 05-09-2016, 07:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
I am by no means overly knowledgeable in guitar electronics, but personally, I would never buy a guitar with barn door electronics. There are just too many good present and emerging electonics options that don't require large holes in the side of a guitar. Many seem to like the K&K mini. I have a Baggs Anthem in my 814ce and a Baggs Lyric in my Emerald Chimaera. I like them both. Whatever you decide, unless you're adept at installing yourself, I would have Alistair do it.
thanks Tom
i agree, i don't care much for the barndoor application. i am not pickup savvy and was wondering what folks were using with these.

that K&K Pure Mini looks to be nice and clean. yes, most definitely nicer fit and out of the way vs the B Band.

d
Old 05-09-2016, 07:35 PM

I have several guitars with the K&K. It's a great pickup, especially with a good external preamp. I bought an Emerald T8 with the stock BBand and at first I REALLY liked it. It's quite small compared to other 'barn door' systems, and it's nice to have all that onboard control. It also sounded really good. I have found over time, however, that the pickup quite easily becomes unbalanced during string changes (even changing one string at a time) and it is maddeningly difficult now to get an even signal on all 6 strings. I've tried many tricks, including a new saddle installed by MacNichol, but it just doesn't stay balanced. Currently the high E is super low volume. Other times the low E string is booming. It's really frustrating! If I had it to do over, I'd probably go with the K&K.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:49 PM
Charter Member

I play more often plugged in than not. I have a variety of pick-ups, so have some experience with powered and passive. I haven't used this B-Band pick-up before. Plugging it into my Bose (only experience with it so far), I have to say it sounds very good.

The "barn door" electronics do not bother my sense of esthetics. Of course, it should probably be said that I played an Ovation for 14 years. I think my Taylors look downright sensuous with those knobs! I like to be able to make adjustments, if necessary, and have that right at hand. I also use a Taylor V-cable to be able to control volume and/or switch guitars without that annoying popping sound... a good thing to have with a passive pick-up, by the way.

The X7 has a nice sound acoustically (for its size), and absolutely kicks when plugged in. Well, with my limited experience. I have to say my first impressions with the B-Band are very favorable.

Jim
Old 05-09-2016, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
anyone using a K&K on a &, likes/dislikes?
If you plan on installing a K&K let the Emerald folks know when you order. If so, they will flatten or build up a smooth mounting location under the bridge for you.

I have a K&K in my Rainsong. Only real issue is I always need to take a DI box with me when I play that guitar because you never know how it will sound plugged into the house system. If the run to the board is too long it can get "woofy". DI box with ground lift will fix that.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 05-09-2016, 10:04 PM
Charter Member

Penny, Capt, and AZ........
thanks a bunch folks, i'm totally new to the world of Pickups, other than the stock Taylor ES.

d

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber