The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-30-2012, 12:24 PM

Default Nut file size??

I am wonderin if a .016 size nut file is alright to use for a .012 string. It is the smallest size I have and seems to be the smallest file most online stores have for sale. (except stewmac)

Is this acceptable??

Thanks in advance, I ususally don't post over here....

David in TN
Old 01-30-2012, 01:19 PM

I've used the same X-acto saw in a knife handle for decades for the top two strings. I don't honestly remember what it's saw kerf is, but after years of cutting bone with it, the set of the teeth is nearly zero. Much quicker and easier than a nut file. I've yet to see an issue with its use.

A .016 will work for a .012 string. Having string slots the exact width of the string diameter will cause the string to bind in the slot.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
A .016 will work for a .012 string. Having string slots the exact width of the string diameter will cause the string to bind in the slot.
I also understand that you could even use a slightly smaller (in this example say a 0.010) file so long as you take away from the sides by filing at a slight angle. I’d prefer to use this method rather than starting out with a larger file size so I can end up taking too little than too much.

Just a beginner wanna-be luther here though so please take with a grain of salt. Sheesh, I should just add that to my signature lol.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.ronin View Post
I also understand that you could even use a slightly smaller (in this example say a 0.010) file so long as you take away from the sides by filing at a slight angle. I’d prefer to use this method rather than starting out with a larger file size so I can end up taking too little than too much.

Just a beginner wanna-be luther here though so please take with a grain of salt. Sheesh, I should just add that to my signature lol.
That could be a little more problematical when slotting. Along with string diameter and slot depth is consideration of spacing between strings. I would advise using a nut file suited for the string slot you are trying cut.

2023 Taylor AD22e
2001 Guild F47RCE

Certified Fretting Technician - Galloup School of Luthiery 2005
Guitar Builder/Tech

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair