The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-24-2020, 09:12 AM

Default Why is This not more Popular

I recently bought a new guitar...a Guild D-40 Traditional. I spent a long time trying to decide on a guitar but it came down to the Guild vs a Martin D-18. It was a tuff choice for me. But the Guild won out. It seems to my ear that the Guild balances the low to highs a bit better. I am surprised I do not hear much about this guitar. It is a cannon like the D-18. Similar tones but different in a good way
Old 01-24-2020, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

My only guess is that I know a lot more guitar and music shops that carry Martins, Gibsons and Taylors and do not carry Guilds. So, maybe they are not as readily available to try out in some locales. Guild has a good reputation but not the popularity of the two biggest brands mentioned. Congrats on the new Guild!

Best,
Jayne
Old 01-24-2020, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Guild has a good reputation but they have struggled business wise for quite a while. I'm pretty sure that they are on the come-back trail again. I'd love to try a Guild Jumbo, but they are just not in any stores around here.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

It seems to me Guild has always been under the radar when compared to Martin, Gibson, or Taylor. I consider Guild to be on par with all of them. I don't know how it is in other places, but in my area it is not a common thing to find Guild in our shops. Those other brands mentioned are found in almost all of the shops.

I have been eyeballing a 70's Westerly D-25 on consignment in a local shop here. Condition is very good and so is the price. it is also a cannon. I am very tempted...

I have no answer to your question, but I'm glad you found one to your liking. Congrats!
Old 01-24-2020, 09:59 AM

I've owned 3 Guilds. A D25 (my first guitar bought with installments!), a D40 sunburst (wish I still had it!), and a F50 (Too big, but tone...Wow!!).

I love Guilds and bet I pick up another some day.

scott
Old 01-24-2020, 10:03 AM

Don’t see them in stores and they don’t have the rep of some of the bigger brands.

I can say they’ve never crossed my mind. I do own Martin, Taylor, and Gibson products.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:18 AM

One reason you don't hear much about 'em is that those who have them don't sell them. Another is that their dealer network is very spotty. I've played a few D-40's that were amazing. The Bluegrass Jubilee is a worthy contender to the D18. I'm just not crazy about the neck ... but that's a personal ergonomic issue.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotso View Post
I recently bought a new guitar...a Guild D-40 Traditional.....
Congrats, Scotso! You're going to be happy with that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Guild has a good reputation but they have struggled business wise for quite a while....
Didn't know they were actually "struggling business wise." They've gone through different owners and plant locations, but they always put out a consistent product... an excellent product!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickcity View Post
....Martin, Gibson, or Taylor. I consider Guild to be on par with all of them.....
I totally agree. Can't beat a Guild jumbo!

2011 Guild F-50R

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 01-24-2020, 10:25 AM

I've never played a Guild, but the best acoustic guitar instructor I ever had, who had a lot of professional performance cred back in the days before he retired...

I never saw him without his Guild.

That's gotta mean something.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:50 AM

I've owned two Guilds ...
A D-25 that was so bass heavy that the treble was almost indistinct. The whole guitar sounded like it had been encased in a sock ... an old, woolen, heavy one at that.

A D-55 that sounded good ... but was perhaps overbuilt with a thicker spruce top and so had little volume.

I don't plan to ever add a third Guild.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 01-24-2020, 10:54 AM

I think the only thing that holds Guilds back is lousy distribution. They're excellent guitars, but there's just not many places to find them and play them.

I played a 70's arched back jumbo some years ago that I should have bought...one of the liveliest, loudest, fullest and most balanced sounding guitars I ever played.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 01-24-2020, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
I think the only thing that holds Guilds back is lousy distribution. They're excellent guitars, but there's just not many places to find them and play them.

I played a 70's arched back jumbo some years ago that I should have bought...one of the liveliest, loudest, fullest and most balanced sounding guitars I ever played.
Played a Guild D55 Maple Arch back jumbo at NAMM last week. I was very impressed. Very open, clear & alive sounding. I like it better than a Gibson SJ200.
Old 01-24-2020, 12:20 PM

Congrats on a nice new guitar my dude. I consider myself a Guild guy too. I did learn to appreciate Martins on the way too though. You just have to find "the right" Martin.
Old 01-24-2020, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Hi, back when he world was young I had a guild D40 for some years. i was very fond of it. It had to leave me and I can't remember why.

Guild as a make and as a brand has had some varied owners and build qualities over recent years, and i really don't think that has done them any favours.

With the advent of the 14 fret Dreadnought, Martin decided to make them bass biased, and this has proven very successful as a rhythm guitar, and become the signature Martin sound.

Martin have not had quite the management and build instability of Guild although there are less appreciated vintages.

However, a good guitar is a good guitar regardless of the name on the headstock so, if the Guild calls to you - why not follow the siren call?

I had a Martin D35 for 21 years, and last night its owner since then arrived at my club , and that particular d35 sound still knocks me out, but i have transitioned to Collings , also for 21 years come to think of it, and love their equal tonal balance across the strings, so I can appreciate your perception.
Old 01-24-2020, 01:02 PM

Until Guild guitars are in a lot more guitar stores, they will never get the recognition that they deserve.
There is not one store in Utah that I know of that has American built Guild guitars on their walls for you to play.

Some people say that all the moves that Guild has had also contributes for their low sales.
I'm not sure how much this has affected sales though.

The only time that Guild has any quality issues was when they tried a new neck design that failed them.
These guitars were sold as seconds and many were not playable.
Guild should have destroyed all of these guitars and never let them hit the market.
These guitars were built in Corona California.

I have been a fan of Guild for over 40 years and currently own a D-55.
It is a great guitar and holds it's own against my Martin D-35.

I hope that the new owners of Guild will be able to market them better and that we will see Guild guitars in more stores in the future.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion