The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-12-2019, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

Default Yet another addition...so much for...

downsizing....

Well, I did move one out to make room. So I guess I didn’t really add another guitar. Just a new to me guitar. I believe it’s an 05 Standard Plus Top??

Cool story behind this one. A friend of mine had been looking for a small bodied acoustic and I’d been looking for a Les Paul. We both had our guitars on various forums and ran across each other’s guitars! I had a GS Mini Mahogany that I didn’t play much. TBH I’ve owned 4 Minis now. 2 mahogany, 1 LTD rosewood with ES, 1 standard. I did prefer the mahogany version more than the others. But, truth is I’ve moved away from acoustics after playing only acoustic for years. I use my office acoustic to write and chart and occasionally use it live but it’s a rare thing.

Anyway, he had this LP that seems to have the thickness of a Gibson LP. It’s certainly heavy! Carved top. Great neck. Not the slim profile version on the current versions, but not baseball bat thick either.

I thought I’d seen somewhere that the neck pickups in these were 57 classics? Not sure about that. And the bridge has been replaced by an EVH but he gave me the original bridge as well. Of course I’ll rewire it (as I do most of my guitars) CTS pots, vintage pushback wiring done to 50’s wiring specs, switch craft switch and jack and either a PIO caps or Orange-drops.

I love the top and the book match is pretty close. Not sure what the color is but I’m digging it also.

My wife asked...”is that another new guitar”? I said, “of course not...you‘ve never seen this one”? She rolled her eyes and went...”psshhhttt”.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4B4BBA09-4F0D-424B-AE57-53E71CFB9E2F.jpg (38.4 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg 3E461040-9E97-48DB-A065-ADF14BF55F9C.jpg (36.7 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg EDBF4070-21B8-4D8C-8737-834F755D6F8F.jpg (38.5 KB, 95 views)

Last edited by PTony; 04-14-2019 at 07:18 PM.
Old 04-12-2019, 04:50 PM

Those Korean Epiphones (as well as the '90s/early-2K's Japanese production) are the ones that are responsible for their excellent reputation in the low-/mid-price market - IME the post-2008 Chinese/Indonesian guitars aren't in the same QC ballpark (and those grossly-misadvertised "Slim-Taper D" necks have got to go ) - and unless you're a hardcore mod guy they make fine semi-pro stage instruments straight from the factory...

Use it well, often and LOUD...
Old 04-12-2019, 09:22 PM

Looks good. Unless upgraded by the previous owner, I don’t think it has Gibson pickups, but I would put the ‘57 Classics in it with a pro set up and it will be no.#1 if not so already. Enjoy with your new Fender amp - excellent match.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:50 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Jaden! The iPhone pics really don’t do it justice. One of the best color and figure combos I’ve seen on an Epi LP. Truly stunning in person.

Yeah it’s not a 57. I checked. Too bad. That would’ve been nice! I’ll put a set of 57’s in it. They’re fantastic pickups! And a complete rewire. It’s amazing what quality pots and caps will do for tone. With as many guitars as I’ve had come in and go out over 36 years of playing I’ve learned to do setups and wiring. It’s not only saved money, it’s also been like therapy at times. Weird I know. In addition I can get it setup exactly to my liking which saves back and forth trips to the tech.

In fact, I’d actually set this guitar up for him a couple of years ago. I was pleasantly surprised that it only needed a few minor tweaks but is now back to spot on. It’s sounds so good through the BJ. You’re right...it’s a great combo. I almost like it better through the BJ then the Strat. Is that heresy lol?

Last edited by PTony; 04-12-2019 at 09:56 PM.
Old 04-13-2019, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTony View Post
Thanks Jaden! The iPhone pics really don’t do it justice. One of the best color and figure combos I’ve seen on an Epi LP. Truly stunning in person.

Yeah it’s not a 57. I checked. Too bad. That would’ve been nice! I’ll put a set of 57’s in it. They’re fantastic pickups! And a complete rewire. It’s amazing what quality pots and caps will do for tone. With as many guitars as I’ve had come in and go out over 36 years of playing I’ve learned to do setups and wiring. It’s not only saved money, it’s also been like therapy at times. Weird I know. In addition I can get it setup exactly to my liking which saves back and forth trips to the tech.

In fact, I’d actually set this guitar up for him a couple of years ago. I was pleasantly surprised that it only needed a few minor tweaks but is now back to spot on. It’s sounds so good through the BJ. You’re right...it’s a great combo. I almost like it better through the BJ then the Strat. Is that heresy lol?
Excellent you do complete set ups and upgrading! That finish looks like the Gibson ‘Ice Tea’ - I like it. And the BJ has all the colour and mid-range bloom to do an LP justice. Congrats!
Old 04-13-2019, 01:40 AM
Charter Member

Beautiful! I used to have a buddy with an LP that looked very much like that. I got to play it a lot and it was one sweet guitar. Hope you enjoy it!
Old 04-13-2019, 06:49 AM

What a beautiful Les Paul - Congrats! Do you know what the zebra pickup is? I wonder if the previous owner put in a Seymour Duncan. You can tell by looking at the back plate.
Old 04-13-2019, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

Thx again for all of the kind words and comments. I am smitten by the finish. Really beautiful in person. Always been fan of LP’s but have often not cared for certain finishes. This one is perfect to me. I bet you’re right Jaden...Iced Tea sounds right.

Dru, I believe it’s an EVH pickup. I’ll check it out when I have more time with her. But I believe that’s what he said. It doesn’t sound bad at all. But I really enjoy the Classic ‘57’s tonally.

I did find out that Epiphone used 60mm bodies for these. So it is Gibson spec’d body wise. I can’t get over the fit and finish. I'm looking forward to hearing the results after a rewire and new pickups. She plays so easily. Great neck shape on these. Full C would be the best way to describe it. But not too full.
Old 04-13-2019, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Beautiful! I used to have a buddy with an LP that looked very much like that. I got to play it a lot and it was one sweet guitar. Hope you enjoy it!
Thx Kerbie! I actually woke up excited to play lol. I love when a guitar inspires playing time. This one is just so much fun to play. As you’ve said she’s one sweet guitar!
Old 04-13-2019, 02:26 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Lovely!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 04-13-2019, 06:05 PM
Charter Member

Nice Epi LP! Love the top. Congrats and hope you enjoy it.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:53 PM
Charter Member

Very, very nice! Those Epis can be very close in tone to a Gibson, and sometimes a bit better, depending on the specific guitar. I just bought a used Epiphone LP and it is a very nice sounding and playing guitar.

Congrats on an awesome guitar!
Old 04-14-2019, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
Nice Epi LP! Love the top. Congrats and hope you enjoy it.
Yes, very nice top. Congrats!
Old 04-14-2019, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
Very, very nice! Those Epis can be very close in tone to a Gibson, and sometimes a bit better, depending on the specific guitar. I just bought a used Epiphone LP and it is a very nice sounding and playing guitar.

Congrats on an awesome guitar!
Thx BoneDigger. It definitely has that Gibson tone. I picked up a new TS9 this weekend so looking forward to adding it to my boost and Dispatch Master. I’m also enjoying the simplicity of this new home rig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Growler View Post
Yes, very nice top. Congrats!
Thank you Growler. I agree. I find myself just looking at it and smiling.

In my attempt to downsize and simplify I’ve been contemplating the idea of a looking for a Gibson LP in this finish. If I did that I’d want to sell my Reverend and E Series Strat (*and possibly a few other things) in order to keep on track with my “simplification” goals. But those are such great guitars and this Epi is so well built I’m not sure I’d gain much other than a name. Especially after adding the ‘57 Classics and a rewire.

Last edited by PTony; 04-14-2019 at 09:13 PM.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:23 AM

Nice - crank it up!
I have a few Epis (not an LP though), and I have nothing but good things to say about 'em. Enjoy it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars