The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-23-2018, 01:42 PM

Default F#m and G#m when in Dropped D Tuning

This might sound funny, but to me, the standard bass G note sounds so much better when played on fret 5 than the “typical” fret 3. So much in fact, that I find myself in Dropped D Tuning whenever possible. In keys of E’s, B’s and maybe 50% of A’s I am in standard tuning. But in keys of C’s, D’s, F’s and G’s I am typically in Dropped D. The standard G at fret 3 seems to lack some sort of “richness” when a strong bass G is required (I know this sounds kind of weird). “Thumbing” the 6th string for an Em in Dropped D has become second nature for me but I have run into a string of songs that demand the “true-blue” fully barred F#m and G#m. I am running into trouble playing these two chords with my fingers cleanly. So, I go back to standard tuning and can play the song but don’t care much for my bass G note knowing a much better (richer) bass G note is available! Quite often, one can play difficult chords elsewere on the fretboard, (most likely an inversion) but I am referring to the BASS F and G. Should I keep trying to form these chords when in a Dropped D or is it hopeless?
Old 06-23-2018, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

For the dropped D F#m, Gm or G#m for that matter, I use the same technique as I do for playing any chord constructed with a barre A chord such as Bb, B, etc. I double barre the fret in question and use the distal phalanx of my pinky as a barre for the other three strings.

Example: F#m, 444222 is a double barre across the second fret with my index and middle fingers, one over the other, and the 4th,5th and 6th strings I get with the distal phalanx of the pinky which is arched over the first three strings.
Old 06-23-2018, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

If you don't mind going further up the neck there are barre strums
4-4-4-6-7-5 and 6-6-6-8-9-7

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 06-23-2018, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

Assuming you're strumming, just play (F#m) 4x4222. You can damp the 5th string with your fretting hand. It will probably damp automatically, it's easier to damp it than to have it sound.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:26 AM

Very helpful tips. While my fingers are currently unable to form the chord(s) cleanly (fingerstyle, very little strumming) I now know that the task IS humanly possible and there is more than one way to approach my dilemma!
Old 06-24-2018, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittoon View Post
Very helpful tips. While my fingers are currently unable to form the chord(s) cleanly (fingerstyle, very little strumming) I now know that the task IS humanly possible and there is more than one way to approach my dilemma!
Certain chords are possible to play but even with practice will never be practical within a piece of music. Not a good idea to over push it.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 06-24-2018, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

There is yet a third way to approach this chord, which also works well and I find to be the easiest:
Using fingers 2, 3 and 4 on strings 6, 5 and 4 resp. and the index finger to barre across the 2nd fret. It’s essentially the same hand position except that the 2nd finger frets the 6th string on the 4th fret for the low F# note. It’s not that much of a stretch.
Alternatively, you can use the index to only barre the top three strings, but that’s a little more awkward.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 06-24-2018, 10:40 AM

I'm going to echo some of the above. Neither of the following choices (for F#m) should be difficult:

-2- index
-2- index
-2- index
-4- pinky
-x- mute with ring
-4- ring

-2- index
-2- index
-2- index
-4- pinky
-4- ring
-4- middle

For the first one, it's easy enough with the index only reaching to 3. I find I need to put the index all the way across for the second one, with thumb on back of neck (thumb can go almost anywhere for the first one).
Old 06-24-2018, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittoon View Post
Fingerstyle makes this problem simpler. You don't need to finger all 6 strings. This kind of issue often comes up with alternate tunings, trying to figure out how to finger a chord that doesn't lay as well in the tuning. In many cases you don't even need to finger most of the chord - sometimes as little as 1 note serves the function you need. A bass note+melody (2 notes) is almost always sufficient, anything else is extra. But of course it all depends on the arrangement and what you're trying to accomplish. If you're trying to play someone else's arrangement and are changing the tuning from the original, you'll probably need to make significant adjustments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write