The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-05-2021, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

59.5 coming up so 60 is right around the corner. There seems to be no shortage of new acoustic acts that I like. The Milk Carton Kids are certainly a favorite. Love Ed Sheeran's acoustic stuff. Mandolin Orange is great. Also like a few lesser known duo's and trio's like Wildeyes. There's a local group called Bitter Pill that is quirky and fun - very macabre.

But what I really miss is some good old rock and roll. As a late '70s kid that grew up on Aerosmith, Zep, Jethro Tull and the like I miss that great guitar rock. There's only one new group out there right now that I think is single-handedly carrying the torch and that's The Pretty Reckless. Love everything about that group. New album coming out next week - Death By Rock 'n Roll. They did an awesome acoustic pandemic version a while back of the title song. My kind of music!

Led by 27-year-old Taylor Momsen, a young lady who was a successful actress (Cindy Lu Who in the Jim Carrey Grinch movie) and well on her way to stardom in that business but walked away because she knew she wanted to front a rock band. God bless her!

Last edited by Methos1979; 02-05-2021 at 05:37 PM.
Old 02-05-2021, 05:46 PM

Most of my "new" favorites aren't really new - Slaid Cleaves and Josh Ritter have been around a good while. I also like Eilen Jewell, Joe Pug, Jeffrey Martin, I Draw Slow, Sarah Jarosz, Fruition, Milkdrive, and many others.

Sure I grew up in the 60's and 70's. Lived in and attended UW in Seattle during the grunge hay day of the late 80's and early 90's. I still love some of the music from my youth, but so much great stuff just keeps coming.
Old 02-06-2021, 06:23 AM
Musical minimalist

Haven't read all the responses, but one new group I've been listening to are the Black Pumas. They have a retro (70's) soul sound.

Old 02-06-2021, 07:05 AM

OK, I've read through the posts before me and while I have heard of some of them, I've never listened to any of them, live or recorded. I listen to a lot of music but most of it is from folks that I either know in person for ones who are (were) even older than I am (which is "older than dirt').

The single exception is Tuba Skinny. I like Dixieland (among many other things) and there are few youngsters playing it. I have 3 of their albums and have heard them live twice. I still prefer Preservation Hall, but the ones I liked best there are all dead (one is alive but long-retired).

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 02-06-2021, 05:07 PM

Just turned 60, and one of my recent favorites is the Delvon Lamarr Organ Trio. Think Hammond B3 through a Leslie and a smokin' hot guitar player in Jimmy James on his classic Silvertone. Here's a sample:

Old 04-21-2021, 07:44 AM

I'm 63 and grew loving 1960s and 70s pop and country rock.

My current favorites are MIPSO, MANDOLIN ORANGE, GREGORY ALAN ISAKOV, MILK CARTON KIDS, SOCKS IN THE FRYING PAN, SARAH JAROSZ and NORAH JONES. (Norah has been around for awhile, of course, but she started very young and is STILL young!)

What superb talent there is all over the world.
Tacoma PR-40 (Nick Lucas Size Sitka/IR)
Tacoma PR-18Ltd (Nick Lucas Size Sitka/BRW)
Taylor 512c (Concert size Engelmann/Hog)
Eastman MD515CC Mandolin
Old 04-21-2021, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

I’m an old soon to be 57.
There are lots of new to me groups on this thread and many that I recognize and listen to.
What a great thread. It’s given me music to explore.
A fabulous young guitarist named Simon Wahl ( check him out!) turned me on to Dominik Martzy. His album “Melody of Life” is inspiring.
Here is Simon playing Dominik’s tune entitled “Flowing Waters” on a vintage Martin guitar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf_OqjrmQjI

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic