The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-18-2021, 11:00 PM

Default Toyota Venza vs Mazda CX-5

Ok, I think I’m getting ready to replace my 2014 Mazda 3 with a new vehicle. The 3 has been great and it is still good (so I don’t have to buy anything) but it is time to at least try.

My wife and I are both in our 60’s and have decided an SUV that we can step up into is the right choice. I’ve been doing heavy research and I have narrowed it down to a Venza Limited or a CX-5 Signature. Yes, we’re going to spend the buck.

I am not necessarily thinking it has to be a Hybrid. I consider that neither a positive or negative. The reviews are very complimentary of both although the Mazda gets better marks as a “driver’s car”.

I drove the Venza, today. I expected to be underwhelmed. I was not. It was a good experience. Yeah, it won’t match my Miata but I think I could load up and road trip very nicely in it. May of the reviews describe it as a Lexus with a Toyota badge. I would say that is accurate. The It is clearly still a viable option. We need to go drive the Mazda now.

I told my wife I think we are just going to end up making a choice and see if we can negotiate a price. I think either one would be a good choice.

Does anyone out there have a Venza or a CX-5 turbo? Want to give me the advantage of your experience?

Thanks

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 04-18-2021, 11:59 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Just the other day while passing a neighbor’s house on our street, a new SUV in their driveway caught my attention from the corner of my eye. I was mostly past their house and had some place to be and couldn’t tell what it was, but it made enough of an immediate impression I hadn’t experienced in a long time, so I made a point to look more closely when I returned home. It was a Venza Hybrid. I know nothing about it, am in no need of a new vehicle, but the exterior look really appeals to me.
Old 04-19-2021, 12:17 AM

No experience with either vehicle so I am not very helpful. I would mention since you have experience with Mazda that you may consider your local service. Mazda is really stepping up lately. Toyota has to be considered as a trusted vehicle in every way. A good local dealership that you know can mean a lot. It is a great time to consider a car. Deals are there to be made right now. I think Mazda will win the price war. See which one you love. Good luck.
Old 04-19-2021, 12:50 AM

Venza is a superior vehicle in every way. If you just do your research on how amazing the all wheel drive is alone it will make you want the Venza. And it is a Toyota!

Gibson "Custom Late 1950's Reissue Southern Jumbo Triburst"
Taylor 314CE (Built by Ren Ferguson)
Mystery Resonator
Fender Stratocaster
Old 04-19-2021, 06:32 AM

How long do you intend to drive it? 10 years ago when I was researching SUV's, I kept coming across reports of Toyota owners who went 200K, 250k, and up without a single major repair. It's the way they're engineered.

As far as dealers go, I avoid them like the plague. It's no secret that the profit margin is so low on new vehicles that they depend on their service dept for profit. Go in for an oil change and all of a sudden your car needs $600 worth of other stuff. My Highlander has almost 100k on it and has needed nothing other than tires, batteries, and brakes (and hasn't been back to the dealer since I bought it).
Old 04-19-2021, 11:53 AM

Its interesting, over the years I've owned both Toyotas and Mazadas. I have a joke that 'Toyota miles' are kind of like 'dog years'. A Toyota mile is only 1/2 as bad as any other car.

Mazda has made terrific improvements in the last few years. If you check you will see that Consumer Reports now considers Mazda the most reliable Japanese brand.

My expectation is either car should run 10 years/200,000 miles with not problems.

If I had one complaint about Toyotas it is that they generally don't have good styling and they are without driving personality. All they do is get you from point A to B. But I will say I think the Venza is very good looking. To me the Hybrid system is not a must have but I will say that I do believe that Toyota has figured out how to build Hybrid drive systems the right way.

The all wheel drive is interesting. The rear wheels are driven only by the electric motor. Not sure how good of all wheel drive that really makes but it should be fine on the roads and the reduction is drive train weight should make the system more efficient.

I am sure the Mazda will be more fun to drive. Mazda really does focus on driving dynamics and they build a drivers car. Of course, this is my wife's car so not sure how much that matters.

I will service my own car. Although at this point that means changing oil and filters and not a lot else. Even in working on them the shop guys just plug the car into the computer and do what the computer tells them.

It seems like I am trying to convince myself that I could be happy with the Venza. When we went to look at them I expected to be underwhelmed with it. That was not the case. I am really having to think through this and determine what is most important.

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 04-20-2021, 02:29 PM

I would wait for the 2023 CX5
Dang... son!

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/n...51.html#agal_1

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 04-20-2021, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

My wife is on her third CX5. They've got progressively more refined and nicer to drive over the years (and the first one was pretty darn good).

We're fortunate to have an excellent local dealer who's looked after us very well over the last 20+ years (yes, we're Mazda fans).

I was *this* close to buying a CX-30 for myself a couple of months ago, but fell for a Subaru Crosstrek Limited instead. Same family of dealers, so I know I'll be in equally good hands for service.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 04-20-2021, 10:06 PM

I know some people hate dealerships but not all dealerships are the same. While I tend to go to independent shop(s) my mom invited me to join her during her last vehicle purchase. It was a good experience and on top of that you get recall notices and valet service. She has never been up-charged for any visit. With technology today your dealer and your warranty can be your best friends if buying new. Made my heart feel better knowing mom was looked after by her dealership. Of course, I have had some less than pleasant experiences over the years with dealers. Choose the good ones. They exist.
Old 04-21-2021, 10:25 AM

I had a Venda as a company car. It was stellar in every way. This coming from a 30 year MB owner.
Old 04-21-2021, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post
I had a Venda as a company car. It was stellar in every way. This coming from a 30 year MB owner.
...Venda?
I assume you meant Venza.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 04-21-2021, 01:53 PM

I sat in a tricked out Venza while waiting for my wife's car to be done in Service. It was really very cool, but I immediately thought that it was too small, even for a small SUV. have you checked out the new RAV4 Limited? Good size, nicely appointed.
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 04-21-2021, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I would wait for the 2023 CX5
Dang... son!

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/n...51.html#agal_1
Wow does that look and sound great.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 04-21-2021, 06:49 PM

Default Hybrid all the way

I've come to love the hybrid system in my Ford, which is a carbon copy of Toyota's Synergy Drive hybrid system. You can expect at least a 50% MPG boost in city traffic, but also a smoother driving experience. You get instant acceleration without turbo lag or downshifts, imperceptible motor stop-and-start action at stoplights, and a track record of bombproof reliability. A significant number of expensive parts like transmissions are avoided entirely. At this point, I'd only consider a gas engine in a sports or fun car, with manual transmission.

I love what I read about the Mazda, but auto reviews also call it underpowered. So I'd lean towards the Toyota.
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 04-24-2021, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk View Post
Ok, I think I’m getting ready to replace my 2014 Mazda 3 with a new vehicle. The 3 has been great and it is still good (so I don’t have to buy anything) but it is time to at least try.

My wife and I are both in our 60’s and have decided an SUV that we can step up into is the right choice. I’ve been doing heavy research and I have narrowed it down to a Venza Limited or a CX-5 Signature. Yes, we’re going to spend the buck.

I am not necessarily thinking it has to be a Hybrid. I consider that neither a positive or negative. The reviews are very complimentary of both although the Mazda gets better marks as a “driver’s car”.

I drove the Venza, today. I expected to be underwhelmed. I was not. It was a good experience. Yeah, it won’t match my Miata but I think I could load up and road trip very nicely in it. May of the reviews describe it as a Lexus with a Toyota badge. I would say that is accurate. The It is clearly still a viable option. We need to go drive the Mazda now.

I told my wife I think we are just going to end up making a choice and see if we can negotiate a price. I think either one would be a good choice.

Does anyone out there have a Venza or a CX-5 turbo? Want to give me the advantage of your experience?

Thanks

Jack
I’m willing to bet that after trying the CX-5, you’ll forget about the Venza.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic