The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-28-2021, 03:18 PM

Honestly not all that impressed by that list, expected more. Some great stuff came out a few years later, some great stuff a few years before. IMO, YMMV and all that.
Old 01-28-2021, 03:41 PM

How did Graham Nash make that list?

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 01-28-2021, 09:40 PM

Fall of 1971. Freshman in High School. Bought "Who's Next" shortly after it came out. A very good year...
Old 01-28-2021, 10:03 PM

Ohhh, 1971. I was well on my way to turning 7.

I would say that 75% of that list influenced me for years after their release.
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 01-28-2021, 11:38 PM

Default Flashback to 1971...

My first acoustic group (I had given up electric over a year before in the interest of hearing preservation, didn't pick it up other than home practice for the next fifteen years), my first college girlfriend, and some rather enlightening on-campus experiences inside and outside the classroom (which Forum rules prevent me from discussing here), that would henceforth and irrevocably shape my worldview...

Truth be told I didn't like most of the electric music (still don't) - listened to pre-disco R&B/soul and horn bands (Chicago/BS&T), picked up on singer/songwriters (Gordon Lightfoot, Cat Stevens, Neil Diamond, etc.) and acoustic vocal-harmony groups (CSNY, America, etc.), took some music majors' courses in harmony/ear training (proved valuable when I did freelance arranging a decade later), got my first exposure to "serious" music circles (for better or worse), also the year I rediscovered 48th Street "Music Row"...

Then there was the '64 Pontiac Star Chief 4-door - 389 under the hood, total sleeper inside and out, ran like a bat out of Hades (unbeknownst to me the previous owner had done some creative under-hood work, found out first time I mashed the gas ) - and this '64 fuelie 'Vette I caught on Flatbush Avenue at 2AM in my first (and only) street race, but that's another story...
Old 01-29-2021, 06:12 AM
Charter Member

I was only 10 in '71 and still probably 4 years away from my musical 'awakening' but two albums jump out that became staples of my heavy rotation - Led Zeppelin IV and Jethro Tull's Aqualung. Easily two of what I would call my top ten albums of my rock-oriented listening of the latter half of that decade.
Old 01-29-2021, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feste View Post
Ahhh... the ‘70s. There will never be another decade like it musically. I hear what some of you are saying about the 60’s. However, coming of age during the ‘70s was nothing short of magical musically
Even with disco and punk?!!!

I was only 5 in 1971, and yet I own all but six of the records on that list. But I'll take the '60s anytime over any other decade. There were so many different genres, but it was all good. But the '70s? The first 5 years of the '70s was a golden age for prog and the last few years saw the rise of the NWOBHM and post-punk set the stage for a mod revival drawing heavily on the mid-60s. Heavy rock still prospered with the likes of Heep, Purple, Rush and Led Zep and it was a good time for singer songwriters, especially in the US. However, in the UK, in the mid-70s all we were subjected to on the radio was disco and punk and John Peel became a complete hypocrite and slammed prog and psychedelia, which remains unforgivable in my book.
Old 02-01-2021, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

I still have six vinyl albums on that list

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic