The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-25-2020, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseAxe View Post
Your case does not look to be a standard depth- but rather one for a slimmer body, not quite ES depth, though. Don't suppose there is a model number for it anywhere?
As you probably know, the shipping on a new case is almost as much as if there was a guitar inside. And since it's main duty for you is little more than a dust cover for your Froggy at home, you might consider an attempt to reshape the top by folding/rolling a towel with most of it's height in the center of the case, latching it, and leaving it in the bathroom a few times when the shower has been run. I've actually stuck a knee into the top and applied pressure to the top. Very therapeutic. If you'll eventually be getting a new case anyway, why not experiment.

I thought TKL/Cedar Creek cases were made in Oilville, VA and/or Canada:

Hi!! So this was my post and that was a Gator case I bought for a Gretsch 5422TG the guitar fit in their perfectly. In this photo the case is empty.. The top just would not line up right.

I added this to the thread to show the Original Poster an example of what a warped top would look like.

and yes, indeed.. all Gator Cases are made in China.

I sent it back, and waited about 2 weeks for the "Gretsch" trademarked case to arrive. (which is TKL, made in Canada) it was 100% fine.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post
WA, OP here. I will give some thought to reshaping the top in some fashion. There is also a substantial amount of padding material concentrated in case bottom, beneath the top of the upper bout. Perhaps that could be removed or compressed so as to recess the guitar in the case.
BTW, the brown case you repost and reference is not mine. The black one is.Cheers
David
Thanks for the correction, and to rmp as well, whose case did seem to be one more of warpage than the black case that came with your Froggy Bottom. To your experience, I can add that I once had a Geib case that the foam padding on the inside seemed to have hardened prematurely, to the point that it could be heard to almost "crunch" when a thumb was pressed into it. Perhaps your case could just need to have a sacrificial econo guitar put in there to have the foam and lining take a "set". Worth a try.

Last edited by WiseAxe; 03-25-2020 at 05:53 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Perhaps your case could just need to have a sacrificial econo guitar put in there to have the foam and lining take a "set". Worth a try.
If I buy another guitar, even an "econo" one, my wife could end up banishing me. But few nights curled up in that case could do the trick. Though, shutting your eyes surrounded by green crushed velvet may be tempting fate, especially these days.
David
Old 03-25-2020, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post
If I buy another guitar, even an "econo" one, my wife could end up banishing me. But few nights curled up in that case could do the trick. Though, shutting your eyes surrounded by green crushed velvet may be tempting fate, especially these days.
David
"If I could choose a place. . . "
Old 03-25-2020, 10:47 PM
Charter Member

The seller may have sent the guitar for consignment with the wrong case, or AMW may have shipped the guitar with the wrong case. Talk to AMW about it, or just buy a case that fits. I sincerely doubt FB sent the guitar out originally in a case that didn’t fit - But at this point, it really isn’t their problem -
Old 03-26-2020, 01:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
The seller may have sent the guitar for consignment with the wrong case, or AMW may have shipped the guitar with the wrong case. Talk to AMW about it, or just buy a case that fits. I sincerely doubt FB sent the guitar out originally in a case that didn’t fit - But at this point, it really isn’t their problem -
I made that exact point - twice - on page 2, but nobody seemed to pick up on it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
If the cases closes correctly when empty, it’s not likely to be a ‘warped top’ issue with the case - if it was warped, it almost certainly wouldn’t close correctly.

Sounds to me as though you possibly have the wrong case for the guitar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
I think there are too many unknowns for any of us to diagnose the issue with any certainty. But, if it was my guitar, I’d certainly be talking to the source from which it came to me, and questioning whether it’s the correct case for the guitar.

Incidentally, when I bought a brand-new Martin J-40, the dealer gave it to me in a case that was (a) the wrong type and (b) clearly too tight a fit, for that model of guitar. When I pointed it out, their reply was along the lines of, “Oh dear, someone else must have got the case for your guitar!”. As my guitars all get a Hiscox to go out in, and the original cases live in my attic, I just accepted it.
But, as it appears to have been a second-hand purchase, if it was my guitar I’d just buy it another case and dump the old one. What’s two or three hundred dollars against the value of a Froggy? In comparative terms it’s just loose change.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 03-26-2020, 04:53 AM

But, as it appears to have been a second-hand purchase, if it was my guitar I’d just buy it another case and dump the old one. What’s two or three hundred dollars against the value of a Froggy? In comparative terms it’s just loose change.

Agree!!!! was going to post the same thought but thought, "Nah,, he must have considered this already......."
Old 03-26-2020, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post

Agree!!!! was going to post the same thought but thought, "Nah,, he must have considered this already......."
OP here. Let me first say that I am obliged for all the interest and suggestions. I posted the question out of inexperience for most things guitar, and to confirm my suspicion that the case is either warped or just the wrong size. In the end, which one does not really matter to me. What I matters is not damaging the guitar by excessive compression.
I did reach out to AMW who confirm that they did not switch out the case on this consigned guitar, nor do they have any reason to think the previous owner did either. And I accept this.
I also measured the depth of both TKL cases I have. One is the offending one, and the other houses my Bourgeois Slope D. They are essentially identical. And then I measured the max depth of both guitars. The Bourgeois May be 1/4” deeper, which is not material. I then again put the FB in the Bourgeois case and it closed fine.
So, basically, I have two TKL cases that have essentially the same depth and two guitars with basically the same depth as well. One top closes, and the other does not.
I also tried my Larrivee 000 in the offending case with the same issue.
My suspicion is that there is some warpage with the FB case top. The only other explanation is that the case was ill-fitted from FB 7 years ago, and that just seems most unlikely that MM would send out a guitar that way, or that the previous owner, a collector who kept this guitar in new condition, would have accepted this. And, again, I had the same issue with the Larrivee in the FB case.
To those suggesting just get a new case, I am on this. No point at all in stressing the guitar top, or me stressing about it either.
Cheers all.
David

Last edited by Deliberate1; 03-26-2020 at 07:20 AM.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
"If I could choose a place. . . "
We all have a choice, my friend.
David

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion