The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-02-2018, 01:24 PM

Default Buy amp or pedal/D.I.?

Hi all,

I started playing acoustic guitar again. I’ve got two Gibsons (J45 studio and a Hummingbird) and am planning to start gigging. I strum mostly and sing.

The two guitars have the L.R. baggs element uts pick-up.

What would be the best step to buy?

- AMP (like boss acoustic singer)
- pedal D.I. (like boss ad-10 or trex SoulMate acoustic)
- other pick-up with mike (L.R. baggs Anthem)

I can not buy everything at once. So what would be the best step?

Thnx for the advice!
Old 12-02-2018, 02:12 PM

I would buy a small powered speaker and a mixer first (see my signature line for my choice). It will be more powerful and more flexible than an integrated amp (pole mountable with the mixer controls conveniently nearby -- BTW if you buy a speaker stand spring for a more expensive aluminum one they are dramatically lighter). When I resumed playing out after retiring from my day job we played friends' parties and charity events for free. It was a great way to try out the equipment and refine our act. After you've played a few times and know first hand what your pickup, mixer, and speaker don't do that you want done, then revisit the guitar store.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 12-02-2018, 03:30 PM

Do you already have a PA set up? If not I’d prioritise that. If you do have that sorted then anything else is really a personal preference. Most of your audiences won’t know if your using a Baggs Element or an all singing and dancing dual source pickup.

All in one pedals like the play acoustic work well. The tone function really improves vocal tone and the bodyrez is handy for UST pickups like yours.

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Old 12-02-2018, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

You need to define what you mean by 'start gigging again'. Just you playing and singing doing solo gigs? Playing open mics? Playing with other people? Duo? Trio? Full band?

Our suggestions would be more meaningful know that.

If it's just going to be you solo then a nice acoustic amp is a one-and-done solution. And there's no end of excellent choices across the spectrum. A Fishman Loudbox Mini is more than enough to do coffee shops and can be found very inexpensively used. Need more power? Try the Artist or Performer. Then there's excellent choices with brands such as AER, Schertler, Boss, Fender, Bose, Genz Benz, and many, many more.

If you're going to play with others then you many want to consider a powered speaker and mixer or some other smaller all-in-one pedal. I started with the acoustic amp then went over to the powered speaker route with a mixer and a bunch of pedals but then ended up with just a Boss VE-8 and the Bose S1. Also have a QSC k8.2 powered speaker for when I need a LOT more power. Which is rare. But going this option allows you to grow as you grow. It's easy to just add what you need as you go.

If you're just doing open mics, you don't need much of anything but your guitar. Welcome back to the fun and good luck.
Old 12-17-2018, 02:45 PM

Depends on a lot of factors. If it's just you solo and vocals you could get up an running very quickly with a Bose S1 Pro or a Fishman Loudbox, or used Fishman SA220. These options are all giggable in more intimate settings and you should be fine for a while.

Should you need to expand, you could use the above for a personal monitor and add a small format mixer with mid sweeps and a decent powered speaker or three to do duo/trio/band gigs.

The benefit of a mixer and speakers is that you're not tied to the unit for adjustments and you can put the speaker where it will sound best in the room. It's also more scalable.

Getting started with solo gigs should be easy. Personally, I'd get an Soundcraft EFX8 which might seem like overkill for a solo, but it's still pretty compact and you might need the extra channels at times. You might even out grow it!

I'd add one or two nice powered 2 ways like: Line 6 L2M/L2T, QSC K10/10.2, Yamaha DBR/DBX10, RCF, Alto, etc Depending on budget.

That route will give you the most flexibility and bang for your buck. Don't be afraid to look for used deals. I have three years on my L2M and L2T and they're fantastic. I also picked up a used EFX8 for $250 and it's mint!

Nice guitars by the way. Look into the Tonedexter to pair with that pickup, It's amazing.
First things first though: handle your PA needs. You can look into preamps later.

Best of luck to you. Give us some more specifics when you get a chance.
Old 12-17-2018, 03:20 PM

All Great suggestions. Definitly go for mixer
and powered speaker first. I like the Qsc k10 or 10.2
speakers . Get a good Di Box for your guitar.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:43 PM

Just picked up a Bugera AC60. $250. An excellent practice amp & would be perfect for small, beginning "gigs." Could be useful as a DI/monitor as well.

The good news? Sounds really wonderful! I've seen folks say its a knock-off of the AER Compact 60. The AER gets really good reviews. If it is better than the Bugera (& I believe it probably is) its *really* good as the Bugera is no slouch. Just sayin'.

Anyway, its my 3rd amp. My first was a Marshall AS50D & it was a good one. Sold it to a friend when I got my Genz-Benz Shenandoah 85, a keeper for sure. The AC60 was bought as a practice amp & because it has a headphone jack. If I didn't already have the G-B I might be perfectly satisfied with the Bugera.

Good luck on your search!

Frank
Old 12-17-2018, 11:05 PM

@barth2234, what is your total budget and what size audiences do you plan to perform for? There are many options, but I agree with others on a powered speaker/ mixer combo.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth1234 View Post
I can not buy everything at once. So what would be the best step?
With a budget in mind I would probably buy a quality amp first, but if you sing, I'd get a Bose S1-Pro first. You can line out of that into ANYTHING if you need more power later and it'll be your monitor, but if you're doing small solo gigs it might surprise you.

If you plan to gig with a band with drums and play acoustic lead stuff you might want an amp with some horsepower.

With a tight budget I wouldn't worry about a d.i. yet, tweaking can come later.

Best of luck.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification