The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-17-2018, 06:19 AM

Question On The Verge Of Buying A Godin Multiac Grand Concert?

I'm thinking of buying a godin multiac grand concert nylon, am i going to be disappointed, more for recording and plugged in sound.....?
Not easy to try or get hold of here in the uk(and quite expensive) so buying blind really🤔
Rob
Old 11-17-2018, 08:00 AM

I was able to play an Encore model unplugged at a local store and enjoyed it's sound. It'd a great very quiet couch playing guitar.

Just don't expect them to sound anywhere near a standard classical guitar unplugged.

Where they shine & show off their capabilities is when they're plugged in.

As best I can tell, the major difference between the Encore, Ambiance & Grand Concerts is the electronics & pick-ups installed. The Encore & Grand Concerts have Cedar tops and the Ambiance is a Spruce top.

I have no need for the models (SA) with the Synthesizer's or the slimmer with models.

On Thursday, I ordered a "open box" Godin Encore from GC. It should arrive before Thanksgiving.

2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 11-17-2018, 10:39 AM

I love mine. You can do some amazing things with a Roland synth and a looper. I bought mine at Rudy's in NYC in '95. (BTW, also bought a Parker Fly Deluxe that day). I've played countless gigs with the Godin.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Does Godin make a full width ebony fingerboard without the synth stuff?
Old 11-23-2018, 10:18 PM
Charter Member

Hopefully buy with a liberal return policy in case you don't like it.

We are blessed to live at a time when there are so many options, so many choices for guitarists!!

Godin makes a lot of models. I admire and appreciate the Godin design. And yet, there are other guitars that I prefer over Godin. For me, the Godins are too heavy, too neck heavy, and I prefer a flat fingerboard. They might make flat fingerboard guitars, but the one that I had was a radiused fingerboard. Just personal preference. Godins are fine guitars and a lot of people like them.

In the Godin price range, I prefer a Cordoba GK Pro. Totally different guitar, totally different feel. Also in that price range, I really like the Manuel Rodriguez Modelo B-Cutaway Boca MR Sol Y Sombra Classical Guitar. Who knows? You might like the Godin better.

Another solid-body electric nylon string guitar that you might consider, and at a lower price point, is the Michael Kelly Rick Turner Licensed Classical Guitar Natural. There is one on eBay right now for less than $450. You can sometimes find the old Gibson Chet Atkins CE or CEC electric nylon string solid body guitars for sale at about the same price as the Godins. Yamaha makes a good silent electric nylon string "travel" guitar, with models that feature either a radiused neck or a flat neck, the Yamaha SLG200N and the Yamaha SLG200NW respectively. Yamaha also makes the NTX and NCX series hollow body electric nylon string guitars. Frameworks in Germany makes real high end electric nylon string professional "travel" guitars.

On the high end of solid body electric nylon string guitars is:

Parker Nylon Fly (If you can find one)
Sadowsky Nylon Telecaster / Stratocaster
Kirk Sand

Or, you could contact Alistair Hay of Emerald Guitars in Ireland, and he will make ANYTHING that you can imagine in a carbon fiber guitar.

Best wishes, enjoy the journey! Yeah, Journey makes a nylon string guitar too.....
Old 11-23-2018, 10:24 PM

If you're not using the synth, the Grand Concert Duet Ambiance has a MUCH better pickup system.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 11-25-2018, 08:46 AM

Thumbs up

Thanks all for your thoughts, i've taken a step back and having a rethink, i came to the conclusion that this style of guitar may be a bit too limiting, if i didn't like the sound i had no where to go, its not acoustic enough to record with a mic and you can't change the pickup. Regards Rob(uk)
Old 11-25-2018, 08:56 AM

Wow first time I ever heard negative comments about a Godin nylon string guitar. You do have to plug in to get volume but it sounds VERY good for classical. If you come around here any time I'll take you around to sample a few!! The Godin family are very pleasant guitar geeks and I'm sure they'd welcome you with open arms at their factory in Québec.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:11 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by pf400 View Post
Wow first time I ever heard negative comments about a Godin nylon string guitar. You do have to plug in to get volume but it sounds VERY good for classical. If you come around here any time I'll take you around to sample a few!! The Godin family are very pleasant guitar geeks and I'm sure they'd welcome you with open arms at their factory in Québec.
Not knocking the godins in anyway, i think its more of a geographic thing really, here in the u.k. theres not a plentiful supply and finding one to play in any music shops within a reasonable distance of me is near on impossible, being imported from canada they fetch a premium price with import duty and taxes......so i think its more a fear of the unknown than anything else, they could just be what i'm looking for.
Regards
Rob(uk)
Old 12-09-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
If you're not using the synth, the Grand Concert Duet Ambiance has a MUCH better pickup system.
I agree I have a lot of experience with Godin multiac guitars , and I think the grand concert ambience is the way to go.
Youtube a review by jeff foster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical