The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-04-2018, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid! View Post
The L1 Model II and the L1 Compact seem redundant to me. I would imagine that the Compact probably isn't considerably more compact than the L1 Model II, and just turning the volume down on the flagship model would produce similar results as the compact.

It seems that people like the L1 Model II's for their ease of use. I guess I just wonder how much easier the L1C really is. Seems like the same amount of pieces. Are they really that much lighter to justify owning both?
I have a friend who does exactly as you suggested. He has the Model 2 and he says that he doesn't want to give up the bigger, fuller sound of the Model 2 to use a Compact. He's willing to set up the larger system and just turn it down for small places.

When I bought the Compact it had been out for a couple of months and I initially put it off thinking the same thing. I have the Model 2, why do I need what appears to be a slightly smaller one? But I was playing a lot and the more I got used to the Compact, the more I found many uses for it. I would often do a house concert or two on my little musical tours and the Compact was very nice for these venues.

Even though the Model 2 is pretty sleek looking and unobtrusive once it's set up, it looks like a lot to lug into someone's living room!

Speaking of looking like a lot, I also found that I could easily bring the Compact into a venue that has a "sketchy" house system and kind of pass it off as my "amp" or my monitor and then basically have the Compact provide the bulk of the sound for the show. I've tried to do the same with the Model 2 but I've had some venue owners/managers seem a tad offended that I brought my own system!

The Compact is also nice for those times when I have to bring everything in one trip. Again, since I'm not playing like I used to, those times are now few and far between but it seemed to happen frequently in the old days. I remember having to park in a ramp and then use a dolly cart to make one trip with everything onto a boat for Key West sunset cruises. Things like that. The Compact is enough to get some of those jobs done but as others have mentioned, it's so much smaller and easier to haul.

I also found a couple of places that "needed" both. Either weird shaped venues or places that wanted a lot of volume. I'd put the Model 2 out in front of me and then use the Compact at a low volume behind me as a monitor. (This was pre S1 Pro.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Seems to me that any redundancy would be between the S1 and the L1C...?
Yeah. I would have skipped the S1 Pro had I not bought it to use as a monitor with my Compact and my Model 2. Now that I have it I'm finding other uses for it but as I mentioned, I would use the Compact for shows that I think I might be able to cover with the S1 Pro (unless I needed the battery power.)

Matt
Old 11-04-2018, 06:55 PM

How is using the balanced outputs from these speakers? Has anyone had good results running out to a larger pa from their L1C or S1 to get a bit more sound at a larger venue? I know your audience wouldn’t get to hear the Bose speakers but I’m wondering if the live sound is still improved by the Bose signal processing?
Old 11-05-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdjansen View Post
How is using the balanced outputs from these speakers? Has anyone had good results running out to a larger pa from their L1C or S1 to get a bit more sound at a larger venue? I know your audience wouldn’t get to hear the Bose speakers but I’m wondering if the live sound is still improved by the Bose signal processing?

I use the line out in two of the larger clubs I work in. It works very well but is dependent on out level settings of the Compact. So if I turn my levels up on the Bose, the level going to the other system goes up as well.

This can be good or bad, depending on the situation. If there is no sound tech for the club I make a point of leaving some extra headroom on the house system so that any increases I make locally don't drive the receiving channel strip into clipping.

The sound quality going to the secondary system is very good.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:55 PM
Charter Member

While I'm still kind of agonizing about the system I'm putting together, I've pretty much decided to go with a pair of QSC K10.2 or K8.2's and a Soundcraft EFX8 mixer for primarily a solo deal. I've more or less ruled out an array system as I like the flexibility to use one or two speakers, microphones including possible condensers, and perhaps to use with a full band at times. I'm now considering if the S1 Pro (or maybe an Elite Acoustics amp) would be a good choice for a stage monitor, as opposed to a traditional one--with my thought being that it would be more flexible for home practice, small gigs, etc, where the QSC's may not be needed. Anyone using the S1 like this and do they sound good as a monitor, or are they not directional enough? Does this setup make sense? (aside from the expense) Thx

Last edited by Stringmaster; 12-06-2018 at 10:00 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringmaster View Post
While I'm still kind of agonizing about the system I'm putting together, I've pretty much decided to go with a pair of QSC K10.2 or K8.2's and a Soundcraft EFX8 mixer for primarily a solo deal. I've more or less ruled out an array system as I like the flexibility to use one or two speakers, microphones including possible condensers, and perhaps to use with a full band at times. I'm now considering if the S1 Pro (or maybe an Elite Acoustics amp) would be a good choice for a stage monitor, as opposed to a traditional one--with my thought being that it would be more flexible for home practice, small gigs, etc, where the QSC's may not be needed. Anyone using the S1 like this and do they sound good as a monitor, or are they not directional enough? Does this setup make sense? (aside from the expense) Thx

Seems like a solid setup. The EFX8 / K10.2 combo will be a killer small PA for a solo, duo, or trio. You might even be able to get away with one K10.2 for FOH and one for a monitor.

The S1 Pro might be great for a monitor or a main for smaller gigs. Try one out if possible. You should be able to cover a lot of ground with that rig. Let us know how it goes.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:38 PM

I use my Bose S1 Pro for my entire band.

Old 12-19-2018, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by napman View Post
I have both and I'd say they are not compete each other. Simply different animals so to speak
I have both. I agree.

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 12-19-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
While I agree that's what an L1-C was designed for, I've read multiple threads where duo's (duets ?) were using them..
It's "duos." A duet is a song sung by two people. (Yes, a peeve of mine!)

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification