The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-27-2017, 05:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschultz View Post
ljguitar,

I'm considering the DI-Max to blend 2 sources, phantom power not necessary. Do you still think this is the best bang-per-buck? It's cheap enough. The only knock I have on it is it's size... not small. I like the individual channel EQ. Any other options out there?

Thanks.
Hi rs
I use mine all the time. It's definitely an awkward size, but it offers so many features most don't.

I often plugged in a mic and guitar to run through my single channel UltraSound AG-30. It gives individual input and output gains, and can be powered by battery or phantom from the board. And it has individual channel phase switching too. I do a worship night a few times a year where people with K&K Pure Mini installed show up without preamps, and the PA in the place has limited inputs. I put two guitars in the MAX and then run them into a single channel. Works great.

Having compared it to some of the small mixers 'out there' it's definitely better than them, in size, form factor, features and tone (the actual thing we care about).

The only dual channel preamps I've seen that don't offer individual channel tone adjustment are the Headway EDB series (I owned an EDB-I and sold it because of no ability to EQ channels separately).

I have not kept current, so there may be others. The UltraSound DI-MAX is really a copy of the classic controls on the top surface of UltraSound AG-50 amps including the shape switch (and other UltraSound amps). It's a really warm sounding and solid unit. I've seen it both under the Dean Markley listings and the UltraSound listings, but cannot see any difference in the two (not even labeling). I believe Markley is just selling the original unchanged.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-07-2018, 12:41 PM

Mixing a dual source pickup system with a pedalboard friendly device, also having the possibility to have an effects loop:
would you rather go for a preamp-DI box in pedal format (like the Grace Design Felix or the Radial Tonebone PZ-PRE 2) or for a compact mixer (like the Mackie PROFX4v2 or even the Bose T1/T4S)?
Old 12-07-2018, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian_t View Post
Mixing a dual source pickup system with a pedalboard friendly device, also having the possibility to have an effects loop:
would you rather go for a preamp-DI box in pedal format (like the Grace Design Felix or the Radial Tonebone PZ-PRE 2) or for a compact mixer (like the Mackie PROFX4v2 or even the Bose T1/T4S)?
HI Christian and Welcome to the Forum!

You responded to a (nearly) 3˝ year old thread. We've all done it…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-07-2018, 09:46 PM
Charter Member

I'm surprised this list doesnt include the Pendulum Audio SPS1.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:01 AM

FWIW, I've often used my Zoom A3 to blend two signals. The drawback is that you don't have a separate EQ for the mic/active pickup system channel. There is a phase inversion switch for the mic/active pickup system channel.

Interestingly, the little iRig Stage Mic preamp also has a second input for blending in a pickup signal. It has a phase inversion switch for a better blend, and a very basic tone control (bassy, natural, trebly) for the mic. The pickup channel doesn't have tone controls, but you won't need them if your guitar has an active system with onboard tone controls.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:41 AM

The aforementioned Pendulum SPS-1 is the one I use and it offers everything this thread is asking for plus some. The only drawback is that its a rack mount. If they had the same features in a floor or mic stand mounted unit, it would be perfect. I have used the Pendulum SPS-1 for several years.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 12-08-2018, 12:04 PM

From reading over this thread a few times, it appears that there is no preamp with the desired features except the Grace Felix and Pendulum SPS-1. Personally I have to have phantom power and three band eq for my vocal mic, two channels for dual source guitar with at least three band eq on each plus all the other features like notch, phase, stereo outs, etc etc.
Is this what others see here in this thread. If I am wrong, please let me know. It appears that the OP wants the same.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 12-08-2018, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive-south View Post
I'm surprised this list doesnt include the Pendulum Audio SPS1.
Hi d-s

Used they are about $1200 with a cable and module.

Pretty pricey option…

And the original poster is still active, and may have a DTAR Solstice for sale…(according to a recent post). That's a 2 channel preamp with phantom, effects, and many extra features.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 12-12-2018, 08:42 AM

I use the Headway DB2 and set the eq with a mild mids cut and slight treble boost into an S1 Pro. Very easy and very quiet. I can run the guitar into channel 1 and my headset mic into channel 2.

I also have the RedEye Twin and it is an excellent dual source preamp, but not for vocal mics and guitar - dual source guitars or two different instruments.

Davidc
Old 12-12-2018, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

I always use a mixer when playing amplified, usually a Mackie 1402 or 1604. So my mics are connected directly to the mixer and my guitars go through preamps before hitting the mixer. From there I can run mono or stereo, feed FOH, monitors, efx, etc.

At one time I was lusting for an SPS1 but they were $2500 then and impossible to justify. Today I have no desire to lug a 19" rack so there will be no SPS1 in my future. It's amazing that they have been around for 25 years and still relevent.

Last edited by drive-south; 12-12-2018 at 09:52 AM.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:37 AM

Default IMHO...

Years ago I was looking for a pre-amp that I could use with dual pickup systems.

There was a member by the handle of alohachris who suggested a Pendulum SPS-1.

IMHO - No doubt - pricey - but without a doubt as well - the best.

IMHO - in pedal form - the Grace Felix - the best.

Just IMHO...

So grateful to alohachris for his help and guidance to me in this matter.

Send Lawyers, Guns and Money...
Old 12-12-2018, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

Oops, duplicate post.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
Headway EDB-2 (Gain on both channels, EQ only on summation)
Hi bw
This is the reason I got rid of a Headway. I need/want a two source preamp to sculpt each channel's tone differently. If I could have lived with summed tone, I'd still own it. It was small (size of a ParaDI), and full featured. It's like they left that off their list of must-haves…

Quote:
K&K Dual Channel Pro (Uses one TRS, Gain only on both channels)
Yes, this has gain, tone for each channel, and individual outs. The input gain for both channels at once has never been an issue for me…it's just not that great a preamp for the price. I own one, and the biggest things for me is the lack of XLR out and ground lift. And the other issue is ALL tone and input gain are set by removing the case and using a screwdriver (which is velcroed to the inside of the case).

Quote:
K&K Quantum Blender (Gain and EQ on both channels)
Overpriced, under featured, and weird form factor (doesn't fit comfortably anywhere but on a long flat surface). If you put it into a rack, you can no longer read the labels…and the channels are side by side not one above the over.

Quote:
Radial Tonebone PZ-Pre (Gain on both channels, EQ only on summation)
No phantom power for internal mics…and if I've not forgotten, only one channel can be engaged at a time.

Quote:
Red Eye Twin (Gain and "simple tone control" on both channels)
Great for average rooms, but terrible when you encounter problems which need to be adjusted…definitely a point-n-shoot preamp.

Quote:
UltraSound DI Max Stereo (Gain and EQ on both channels)
Again no phantom power to power internal mics (I own both UltraSound preamps). It's a great little mixer for single source rigs, if you need/want an external mic. I've used it to run a guitar into one channel, and vocal mic in the other to sing into single channel amps.

I've also used the Max to run two single source pickup guitars at once, and used it to mix them when PA space is precious.[/quote]

I like having individual input gains and with my K&K dual source rigs, because my input levels are so different. But if a preamp at least allows me to split even the output volumes, I'm ok.

I personally own/play 4 guitars with pickup and internal mic rigs. I own both Raven PMB I & II, and DTAR Solstice as my main preamps. I own the K&K two channel belt pack version…

I own a host of single source preamps, because we used to run PA gear all over the place, and guitarists in our community/circle often have internal post-purchase non-preamplified pickups. So we have ParaDIs, and UltraSound preamps, and I carry a Fishman Platinum Stage for my Voyage-Air (when we travel) and even a Behringer ADI21. They are essential when we are running sound.

They serve as preamps and Direct Boxes.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Last edited by ljguitar; 12-12-2018 at 12:20 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:11 AM
Charter Member

Ah ... great thread ..... great list .... and I have to say I was frustrated for years until I found a Grace Felix ..... it has so many possibilities and does all that I need it to from multiple pickups on the same instrument to multiple instruments .... yeah pricey but it replaced a lot of gear .... (;-))
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar
Old 12-13-2018, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive-south View Post
I always use a mixer when playing amplified, usually a Mackie 1402 or 1604. So my mics are connected directly to the mixer and my guitars go through preamps before hitting the mixer. From there I can run mono or stereo, feed FOH, monitors, efx, etc.

At one time I was lusting for an SPS1 but they were $2500 then and impossible to justify. Today I have no desire to lug a 19" rack so there will be no SPS1 in my future. It's amazing that they have been around for 25 years and still relevent.
When you run your Mackie mixer to the FOH, does that cause any problems with sound quality (signal running through two mixers)? I've been doing the same thing, and have been wondering if it is adversely affecting my guitar tone.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification