The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-16-2018, 03:49 PM
Musical minimalist

It's not clear if you are planning on just using it for your vocals, or if you are planning on doing a single mic application.

If you are talking about using it for vocals only, there are other better condenser options for that.

I use the Blue Encore 200 - it would be termed a medium sized condenser - works great and very inexpensive.

I did gig a few weeks back in a pretty noisy, large room with the Encore on vocals, an sE Electronics X1S on the guitars (about 60% from that and 40% from the K&K) and had no trouble whatsoever.

Old 12-16-2018, 04:17 PM

For vocals only. I'm using the MXL now in my studio, and really like how it sounds. Prior to this, I have been using an SM-58. "Bkepler" suggested the Encore 200, and I have been considering that one. But I do like the vocals I'm getting with the MXL 990 at home, I'm just wondering how much of a problem it might be in a noisy restaurant/bar room.
Old 12-16-2018, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bojangles View Post
For vocals only. I'm using the MXL now in my studio, and really like how it sounds. Prior to this, I have been using an SM-58. "Bkepler" suggested the Encore 200, and I have been considering that one. But I do like the vocals I'm getting with the MXL 990 at home, I'm just wondering how much of a problem it might be in a noisy restaurant/bar room.
A BIG problem!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 12-16-2018, 06:23 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
I'm just wondering how much of a problem it might be in a noisy restaurant/bar room.
It would be dependent on a few factors - how far from the "noise" you are, your ability to place your main speakers away from you and the mic, and your vocal technique. If you have a "bold" voice and don't need that much extra volume out of the mic, you may be OK. If you need to turn it up to be heard, you may have a problem.

Old 12-16-2018, 11:38 PM
Charter Member

The Shure KSM-32 is a nice warm sounding large diaphram mic.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:30 AM

I use an LDC for multiple performers (vocals and instruments). I haven't found background noise to be an issue. Yes, it's there, but not much. The noisier the venue, the less the background noise matters.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:24 PM

It brings some air and clarity to our singing, better intelligibility too. The dynamics work better, it

It really, really depends on the venue. We are playing in a pub this Friday, small place, full of people, thick stone walls, drums close, monitors on the floor... that's a no go for the condenser. But spring to autumn mostly outdoors I use it all the time.

've been using AKG 2035 for a couple of years, fairly inexpensive, works great for the two of our male voices, does not work for our female singerI've just ordered the ETL Edwina, hoping it will do the job even better than the AKG.

For live gigs, I would avoid really large, and very sensitive condensers, figure 8 patterns (well that's obvious) etc. but besides that, just go ahead and experiment yourself.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:41 PM

I like the Blue Encore 200, and not to muddy the water but I always understood it to be an active dynamic.

Anyway, I've used the MXL 990 live. Without drums it's good.

I've also used the Blue Encore 300 (condenser) and a Sennheiser e965 (condenser) all for vocals with good results.

The only thing I've had trouble with is some venues' mixers don't provide a full 48v phantom power.

The only time I've had feedback issues with condenser mics is when there is lot of stage volume with a dead mic sitting idly on a mic stand.

Obviously placement will be a concern, as well as what kind of monitor (if any) you use.

You will get a clearer sound imho with a condenser mic.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:11 PM

Here's a video we produced with the late great Duke Of Uke Bill Tapia through a single MXL990Bill was plugged into a Roland Microcube Street and Eirick "Iceman" on bass plugged into a Roland MicroCube RX Bass. The MXL990 is plugged into Sterling Phantom Power Supply into a Carvin S400D with matching extension Carvin 810 speaker. The audio was recorded directly out of the Carvin S400D Headphones/Line Out jack and the video was edited to the audio later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPCT7_kqA60
Old 12-19-2018, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
I like the Blue Encore 200, and not to muddy the water but I always understood it to be an active dynamic.

Anyway, I've used the MXL 990 live. Without drums it's good.

I've also used the Blue Encore 300 (condenser) and a Sennheiser e965 (condenser) all for vocals with good results.

The only thing I've had trouble with is some venues' mixers don't provide a full 48v phantom power.

The only time I've had feedback issues with condenser mics is when there is lot of stage volume with a dead mic sitting idly on a mic stand.

Obviously placement will be a concern, as well as what kind of monitor (if any) you use.

You will get a clearer sound imho with a condenser mic.
How much better do you find the vocals to sound with the MXL over the Encore 300?
Old 12-19-2018, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
A cheap condenser mic has no business sounding this good!
Boy i have a matched pair if mxl 603s condensors. That sound
like neuman 184s . I think i paid 150 for the pair.
Just amazing.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:38 PM

Quote:
How much better do you find the vocals to sound with the MXL over the Encore 300?
The MXL captures a fuller sound. With the Blue 300, you have to be pretty close to the mic to get it to pick up all the subtleties, and then you have to watch plosives. The bass response on it is very sensitive and I find myself rolling off a great deal of bass which then leaves it sounding thin.

By nature, the 300 was made for live use. It does that well. In the studio, a pop filter is a must with it to tame the plosives.

So to answer your question, I prefer the MXL over the Blue a lot more.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:26 AM

Thank you, YamahaGuy, for your input. I have been using a Shure SM-58 for years, and was thinking about trying a Blue Encore 200 to see if I like my vocals any better with it. I really like the sound I'm getting with my MXL 990, but was a little apprehensive to use it at a solo gig. I suppose the only way I'll know is to try it. And thanks to all for responding.
Old 12-20-2018, 06:37 PM
Musical minimalist

I used the Encore 300 for guitars, but wouldn't use it for live vocals - it's too "revealing" for my style of voice. Prefer the 200 by a long shot.

Old 12-20-2018, 09:19 PM

For vocals, consider trying a handheld condenser microphone, like one of the following:

Sennheiser e865
Shure Beta87
Audio-Technica AT2010 as a budget option

I've used all live and they will get you the clearer sound that you seek, yet have better feedback rejection and lower handling noise than any LDC studio microphone you try.

I have no experience with the Ear Trumpet Lab mics, but they look great and sounded great when I saw the Milk Carton Kids use them. But that room was pin drop quiet.

Eastman E10OO
Eastman E1D
Eastman E1OM
Martin 000RS1
Eastman PCH-GACE
Recording King RP-06
Blueridge BR-40T Tenor
Gold Tone TG10 Tenor

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification