The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 12-03-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveMusic View Post
My comment was based on your posted pic showing an iPad with TWO wave forms (2 tracks) showing. I thought you had two. You can lay down the guitar and then do vocal and then mix to your liking. They need a good manual. They have videos of most questions that arise, but I still have some questions they don't cover.
Ah.. Gotcha.. Yes the photo was taken at a different time.. so had nothing to do with the recording.

Since posting this.. I have been doing multi-track recordings.
Using mics instead of built in mic..

Sounds so much better!
Old 12-03-2018, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
Ah.. Gotcha.. Yes the photo was taken at a different time.. so had nothing to do with the recording.

Since posting this.. I have been doing multi-track recordings.
Using mics instead of built in mic..

Sounds so much better!
I am curious, as have several good mics. Would be interesting to see how much better a mic could sound. I have done a lot of recording but it's challenging, I'm no expert. I bought this Spire and it's easy, that's good, but also wonder if I should just buy something 'better' to lay down tracks that could be used professionally if lightning struck and I got good takes. But for all I know, this Spire, using a good mic, might suffice? I dunno, I guess it's just made for casual stuff. But I will admit that over the years, I have lucked up and got some real good recordings from Zoom handheld recorders... for guitar/vocal/simple productions, it might suffice.
Old 12-03-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveMusic View Post
I am curious, as have several good mics. Would be interesting to see how much better a mic could sound.

Below is a recording using 2 mics on the guitar.
(Spire's internal mic is not engaged).

Note this was made with next to zero setup or testing.
I just pointed the mics at the guitar and hit Spire's "Sound check" auto feature and was recording within 10 seconds.

Last edited by JakeStone; 12-03-2018 at 08:01 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:32 PM

I'm curious ... did you use a click track? What are you learning in the quest for better sound quality as you mess with your Spire? Other insights gained?
Old 12-18-2018, 09:44 PM

... oh, btw, very nice vocals. Would love to hear a new version (same song) as you master the Spire
Old 12-19-2018, 07:13 AM

Hey Will-go .. Thanks for your reply, comments and questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by will-go View Post
I'm curious ... did you use a click track? What are you learning in the quest for better sound quality as you mess with your Spire? Other insights gained?
I didn't use a click track... (are you suggesting I use one?). The Spire has one with a variable temp control and tap tempo.

What am learning? Everything! ... But what's really cool for me is the ease of use with the Spire recorder and iPad App. This system took the "guess work" out of simple recording. Also the wireless aspect is really appealing. Since I can set up anywhere.. No computer needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by will-go View Post
... oh, btw, very nice vocals. Would love to hear a new version (same song) as you master the Spire
Thanks !

Here's a video I made a couple nights ago.. Same song.

I have set up several acoustic panels around me... that I am experimenting with... Plus I had 2 Mics, Audio-Tech 2035 on Guitar and Senn 935 for vocals. Then exported the tracks into Reaper and cleaned them up with a tiny bit EQ and comp.

I know there is tons of room for improvement.. But given this is a hobby for me.. I am willing to keep trying and learning as I go!

Old 12-21-2018, 04:36 AM

Nice job on the song, and the video.
Very nice quality recording.
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 12-22-2018, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Stylish View Post
Nice job on the song, and the video.
Very nice quality recording.
Thanks so much! I appreciate the kind words.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell