The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-12-2021, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
A skilled tech or builder will do a much nicer job than a PLEK.

The main reason to use a PLEK is labor savings. It's why Martin has PLEDed their guitars for a decade or so, and nobody would call their fretwork particularly outstanding.

On a custom instrument, I'd normally consider it a downgrade. Wouldn't prevent me from ordering another Emerald though.
I couldn't disagree with you more here.
This was not a decision based on costs but rather 100% based on quality.
We already spend a considerable amount of time setting up each guitar and it takes skill and precision. With the Plek machine it takes a skilled technician to carry out the process properly taking into account many factors and we have so far found that it adds a significant amount of time to the overall process as well as it being a $110,000 investment.
I can say hand on heart the the Plek machine can dress the frets better and to higher precision than the finest luthier in the world but it takes a fine luthier to make the right decisions to get the best from the machine.
Its just another tool in our tool box. It doesn't take away from our guitars being hand built and in fact over the past 5 years the number of hours we invest into each guitar has almost doubled.
We are investing in significant equipment as we build our new factory but the emphasis is always on precision and quality rather than replacing quality labour content.
Alistair Hay
Old 09-12-2021, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair Hay View Post
We already spend a considerable amount of time setting up each guitar and it takes skill and precision. With the Plek machine it takes a skilled technician to carry out the process properly taking into account many factors and we have so far found that it adds a significant amount of time to the overall process as well as it being a $110,000 investment.
I can say hand on heart the the Plek machine can dress the frets better and to higher precision than the finest luthier in the world but it takes a fine luthier to make the right decisions to get the best from the machine.
Its just another tool in our tool box. It doesn't take away from our guitars being hand built and in fact over the past 5 years the number of hours we invest into each guitar has almost doubled.
We are investing in significant equipment as we build our new factory but the emphasis is always on precision and quality rather than replacing quality labour content.
Alistair Hay
That was my thought too. Thanks for weighing in Alistair.
Old 09-12-2021, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair Hay View Post
Alistair Hay
Excellent, Alistair, and I'm with you but we're still going to get "expert" opinions from those who've never touched a Plek machine or spent $110,000 on acquiring and using one.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 09-12-2021, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Excellent, Alistair, and I'm with you but we're still going to get "expert" opinions from those who've never touched a Plek machine or spent $110,000 on acquiring and using one.
Ouch! Thanks for your input, Alistair....
Martin 000-15sm
Old 04-25-2022, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post

Alistair saved us from yet another "expert"
Old 04-25-2022, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
A skilled tech or builder will do a much nicer job than a PLEK.
I love seeing utter nonsense offered with absolute surety.
Bedell TBA-24-G
Bedell TBCE-18-G
Gurian S3M (1978)
Taylor GS Mini-e Bass
Old 04-26-2022, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLine View Post
I love seeing utter nonsense offered with absolute surety.
Given that Martin has used a PLEK for a decade or so... yeah. But at least it's consistent.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 08-22-2022, 08:14 PM

I’m wondering if/when Emerald will start to outsource production. Hopefully never!

Last edited by Hambone70; 08-22-2022 at 08:20 PM.
Old 08-24-2022, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

This was nice to read. I owned two Emeralds direct from the factory and everything was pretty much spot on when they were delivered except for the fact that one had one high fret and the other had three. Hopefully this will prevent that from happening anymore because the high frets aside, they make amazing instruments!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber