The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-02-2009, 02:04 PM

Default Bluegrass technique

I've been working on some bluegrass cross picking and I've noticed that most of the experts play with their picking hand in a closed (fist like) position. Is mastering this position critical to proper bluegrass technique?

Thanks in advance,
Ron
Baby Mahog
'01 714ce (traded)
'08 DN8e

'81 Fender F-65
Warmoth Strat
CeriaTone JTM45
Old 10-02-2009, 02:08 PM

I don't think there is such a thing as "proper" technique. Some other masters of the genre anchor the little finger. Some others do neither. Picking hand dexterity is a must in bluegrass. I think whatever way you get there is OK.

You can give without loving, but you can't love without giving.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:52 PM

Darn! I was hoping to blame my lack of progress on not being able to master this hand position. I anchor my pinky when I play and have not been able to emulate those playing with a closed hand.
Baby Mahog
'01 714ce (traded)
'08 DN8e

'81 Fender F-65
Warmoth Strat
CeriaTone JTM45
Old 10-02-2009, 03:04 PM

I typically don't do either of those... ever seen Larry Keel play? youtube him...

You can give without loving, but you can't love without giving.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:06 PM

Depending on how long you've been at it and just how complete your lack of progress, you may want to try un-achoring that pinkie. Nothing to do with forming a fist but if what you're trying ain't working...try something else.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 10-02-2009, 03:16 PM
Eric Skye

There are great crosspickers that do both. And there are great crosspickers that use either the down up down pattern, or down down up...

David Grier comes to mind as someone that keeps his hand in a ball and seemingly is floating a lot of the time. And he uses a down up down, etc... If you’ve every seen or heard him play solo it’s pretty hard to argue with what he does.

I use the down up down, and brush my little finget on the top for cross picking. For something like Boumont Rag I’ll not touch for the A part, and touch for the B...
Old 10-03-2009, 06:24 AM

I took a few lessons from Steve Kaufman back in the day (he's a 3 time Winfield flatpicking champ). He said when he cross picks, instead of his picking wrist being straight, he raises his wrist an inch or so away from the guitar - so that his wrist is bent at an angle and his hand is pointed down toward the strings.

Imagine your normal wrist position is straight and close to the strings. Now imagine having a tennis ball between your wrist and the strings.

Kind of hard to explain in writing, but hopefully you get the picture.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:34 AM

I've kind of adopted a loose open handed style in recent days, the tight form didn't work for me and it kind of gave me cramps. A good open hand style comes from players like Tim Stafford who anchors with his pinky and ring finger and plays with his index finger and thumb holding the pick.

It's a really distinct way to play and he's very smooth with what he does (look up Blue Highway and you'll see what I mean)

A closed hand for me also makes me sweat like crazy, different strokes for different folks I guess

Formerly known as, "Will Kirk"
Old 10-03-2009, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rleduc View Post
I've been working on some bluegrass cross picking and I've noticed that most of the experts play with their picking hand in a closed (fist like) position. Is mastering this position critical to proper bluegrass technique?

Thanks in advance,
Ron
Hi Ron,

Find the hand position that feels comfortable to you and doesn't tense up your hand or wrist while you play. There isn't any right or wrong way to do it only what works for you. Bryan Sutton stresses that a player must always make an effort to keep tension and stress out the the picking hand and wrist. I agree with him.

I have my pinkie finger gently extended and floating lightly on or just above the guitar's top while my hand moves across the strings as I'm picking and chording. I often anchor my pinkie on the top when picking a melody or run. It's a very loose style which uses the pinkie as a constant reference point with the guitar's top.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 10-03-2009, 09:45 AM

Default Great advise...Thanks

Thanks for all the great advise. In all my years of guitar playing I have taken an attitude of playing however I feel the most comfortable, but playing in the bluegrass style is new to me and I want to get it "right" before I develop bad habits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Hi Ron,

I have my pinkie finger gently extended and floating lightly on or just above the guitar's top while my hand moves across the strings as I'm picking and chording. I often anchor my pinkie on the top when picking a melody or run. It's a very loose style which uses the pinkie as a constant reference point with the guitar's top.

Regards,

SpruceTop
This resembles how I've been playing.
Baby Mahog
'01 714ce (traded)
'08 DN8e

'81 Fender F-65
Warmoth Strat
CeriaTone JTM45

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write