The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-29-2009, 08:10 AM

Default Open D vs. Open G

I've never played much with open tunings and I just started with open D.

I don't understand why someone would play in open G instead of open D. I'm not trying to pick a fight as to which is better, I'm thinking I may be missing something. It appears to me you trade the high root(1) note (open D) and replace it with a low 5th (open G). < Seems like a bad trade to me. >

What's value is the low 5th? Do you use this like the bass line of a country music song where you alternate form 1 to 5? But you already have a 5 above the root, do you alternate between these (like: 1, low 5, 1, high 5)? If so, is there a classic, traditional song that illustrates this?

I know that Keith Richards some times takes his bottom string off because strumming a chord with a non root note as the lowest note sometime sounds . . . different, let's say.

The reason I ask this question, is that I have another guitar (other than the open D guitar) and I'm trying to decide if I want to keep it in open G or Spanish.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:46 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allman_Fan View Post
I've never played much with open tunings and I just started with open D.

I don't understand why someone would play in open G instead of open D. I'm not trying to pick a fight as to which is better, I'm thinking I may be missing something. It appears to me you trade the high root(1) note (open D) and replace it with a low 5th (open G). < Seems like a bad trade to me. >

What's value is the low 5th? Do you use this like the bass line of a country music song where you alternate form 1 to 5? But you already have a 5 above the root, do you alternate between these (like: 1, low 5, 1, high 5)? If so, is there a classic, traditional song that illustrates this?

I know that Keith Richards some times takes his bottom string off because strumming a chord with a non root note as the lowest note sometime sounds . . . different, let's say.

The reason I ask this question, is that I have another guitar (other than the open D guitar) and I'm trying to decide if I want to keep it in open G or Spanish.
A-Fan,
It's easier to demonstrate than explain, so go here:

http://www.howardemerson.com/videos.html

Now, in order:
Flirty Skirt- open D
Mystery Train- open G, but played cross-tuned off the V chord
Keep Walkin- open G
Crazy Mama-dropped D, so does not apply to your question
Phelp's Flats-open G
Light in The Distance- open G, but played cross-tuned off the IV chord
A Tale to Tell- open G
Crossing Crystal Lake- open D, but played cross-tuned off the V chord
Wake Up Mary- open G w/low C, but played off the IV chord
The Bells of Tina's Kitchen- Open C, probably does not apply to your question.
Marcelita- Open D

I think you'll see more possibilities than you ever considered.

I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Regards,
Howard
http://www.howardemerson.com/lessons.html
Old 09-29-2009, 10:47 AM

(For discussion sake, disregard the capo)
When you say, "open G, but played cross-tuned off the V chord" do you mean the song is in the key of D? (I'm at work/cubeland and I really can't get a good listen.)

"I think you'll see more possibilities than you ever considered."

I think just considering the words above about the cross tuning has opened my eyes.

You made up my mind: 1 acoustic in G, 1 acoustic in D, solid body electric in . . . D. No spanish for now. (You can see I'm lazy about re-tuning the guitars!)
Old 09-29-2009, 10:54 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allman_Fan View Post
(For discussion sake, disregard the capo)
When you say, "open G, but played cross-tuned off the V chord" do you mean the song is in the key of D? (I'm at work/cubeland and I really can't get a good listen.)

"I think you'll see more possibilities than you ever considered."

I think just considering the words above about the cross tuning has opened my eyes.

You made up my mind: 1 acoustic in G, 1 acoustic in D, solid body electric in . . . D. No spanish for now. (You can see I'm lazy about re-tuning the guitars!)
Hey Fan,
Yes, you're correct about disregarding the capo! If not, then it's in F#, but you knew that.

After you're home and can listen, you'll 'see' a lot more possibilities.......

Of course seeing as you're an Allman fan, then you should be in standard tuning, right? Isn't that what Duane played in most of the time?

HE
Old 09-29-2009, 11:02 AM

Having the tonic at the fifth fret of the first string is a good thing, not a bad. Being able to slide in and out of the tonic from either direction gives a lot of options for expressive phrasing.

The fifth string generally has a stronger voice than the sixth on most guitars I've tried, so putting the tonic there works quite well.

Open D does not offer a strong alternate for the V chord bass, while open G gives a lot of options for alternating bass on the I and V.

The G is a very satisfactory bass note for the IV chord and supports a strong first position voicing of the IV.

Ledward Kaapana and Ozzie Kotani and Ray Kane and Sonny Chillingworth all play (or played) in open G <grin>.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write