The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-12-2016, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
I think you misunderstood the question. I didn't ask why one was heavier than the other, but which is the better choice - heavier or lighter.
I've seen people sell guitars just because they felt too heavy and ended making them tired, at 9-something pounds.

I prefer the feel of a lighter strat. Not light, but lighter.
I don't think the weight alone will give you better sustain, but can bring discomfort.

In my opinion it's better to try both and pick the one that feels better. When that us not an option (buying blind) I'd favor lighter.

While I didn't weight my strats, I think I agree 7lbs seems right.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamdog View Post
I don't think the weight alone will give you better sustain, but can bring discomfort.
You bet. A friend of mine has a Les Paul, feels like a ton of bricks when I play it.
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
1969 Fender Thinline Tele
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
2016 Fender MIA American Standard Strat
2019 Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Old 09-12-2016, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
You bet. A friend of mine has a Les Paul, feels like a ton of bricks when I play it.
Ask him how much it weights, just to know and compare.

BTW it's not only weight, but how it's balanced. A well balanced guitar will be less tiresome.
Old 10-02-2016, 04:59 PM

I think you're trying to simplify a pretty complex equation. Particularly with a Stratocaster.
I've played 'em for years and have realized that the sum of the components (in particular, the woods used) plays a deciding role in tone and sustain.

And you're speaking of a Mexican Strat, whose body is typically made up of more pieces than an American Strat's body (3-4?). All these pieces of wood (and that which make up the neck) have to resonate at musically compatible frequencies with one another to maximize tone.

Just like a great acoustic guitar.

It's a crap shoot and it pays to play a bunch.

Best mod to get you in the ball park is pickups and a new bridge, weight be ****ed.

Peace -

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars